PDA

View Full Version : IMTS in Chicago

Cass
08-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Any good ideas on cheap places to sleep or other tips on going to the tool show in September?

Rustybolt
08-05-2004, 11:40 AM
What's your definition of cheap?

John Stevenson
08-05-2004, 11:56 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
What's your definition of cheap?</font>

Alistair buying a round

Milacron of PM
08-05-2004, 12:05 PM
I used to manufacture a line of tapping machines and we did every show from 1988 thru 1998. I usually stayed the entire 10 days, so only affordable choice was in the surburbs and drive in.

We usually stayed in Elmhurst, which is due West of downtown. Fifteen minute drive on a Sunday, but typically took an hour during morning traffic...you sorta get used to it after a few days. Comfort Inn there that serves full breakfast...scrambled eggs the whole deal..and many other motel/hotel possiblities.

Milacron of PM
08-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Btw, one frustrating thing to me about places to stay when at IMTS is that there is a huge marina (Burnam Harbor or something like that) right next door...easy walking distance. So, being a boater myself, it always seems like the utopian situation to find someone you could pay rent to sleep on their boat !

I posted a notice on the marina's bulletin board to that effect one year but the only reply came after the show was over.

Speaking of where to stay cheap reminds me that when I manufactured the Omnijig dovetail jig we used to show at the largest woodworking show in the US in Atlanta (coming up this month !) every two years. The first show we did, we were so poor and spent so much money on the booth and such we *camped out* in a pup tent for the duration !

Was funny listening to all the other exibitors and attendee's go on about their Hyatt and Hilton experiences, and they would inevitably ask where I was staying...kinda embarassing to admit I was "staying" in a 2 man pup tent http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Spin Doctor
08-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Stay at the Holiday Inn in Kenosha and take the Metra into Downtown.

Cass
08-05-2004, 10:24 PM
The last time I went to the tool show I stayed at the hotel right next to McCormick on the government's money. McCormick Inn? something like that. No telling what that kind of place costs these days and now it is my nickel. One nice thing about staying in a Motel 6 is to figure you are being paid $200-300 per night to stay there compared to the rate at the Westin or what ever the meeting hotel is. Pretty good pay for sleeping. Of course if someone else is paying....

The logistics and hassle of finding a reasonable place to stay is one of the main reasons I don't go to the tool show very often. It is easy to find reasons not to go but I always profit in some way when I do go. The show is too big to see much in only one day. I like the boat idea.

Milacron of PM
08-06-2004, 08:52 AM
I think now it's called Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. They tore down the old hotel about 1994 I think, and the new one opened for 96 (or was it tear down in 96 and opened in 98 ?)

Suspect it's been booked up for months now with rates over $300 a night http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Rustybolt
08-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Cass. Get yor triple A road atlas out and look for toens out past 294(the Xway that goes around Chicago) If you stay west and south you should be able to find reasonable hotel/motel rates. ALL Chicago xpressways are crowded until after rush hour. So either get going before six AM or after 10 am. Outbound they start to stack up around 3pm unti 7 pm. Whatever you do don't try and commute from some hotel in Indiana. The DanRyan expressway is one of the worst in the country, on a good day.
While you're in town check out the new Millenium Park.(Food)Giordonno's for pizza and Portillo's for itallian beef, just ask for 'hot and sweet and tell em' to dip it.