PDA

View Full Version : OT found an Iphone on my property

fastfire
03-02-2017, 09:59 AM
It's actually an Ipod.

Couple of days before the shed that stores garden supplies and tools door was open, I hadn’t been in there in 2 weeks.

Put 2-n-2 together and I have a thief’s phone.

I need to charge it.

I posted in the Craig’s List lost and found that I had found an Iphone on the road that I live on, and if they could ID it , it was theirs.

It has a 4 digit code to open it and will try using years.

Any ideas as to find out who’s it is?
Thanks

softtail
03-02-2017, 10:06 AM
I believe they lock after a number of failed login attempts, so I would hold off on guessing.

Leave it in shed and set up surveillance? That phone would be worth a lot to any idiot dumb enough to drop it when trying to rob someone.

Or say you found it somewhere else and advertise lost n found... maybe thief doesn't know where/when they lost it. Contact authorities.

A.K. Boomer
03-02-2017, 10:07 AM
What an interesting predicament,

anything missing from the shed?

QSIMDO
03-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Call the cops.

fastfire
03-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Not that I could see.
The phone was found on a lawn more that 75yds from the road.

AD5MB
03-02-2017, 10:30 AM
given that the carrier was engaged in criminal trespass, you may have a stolen iPhone. You may possess stolen property without any way to prove you did not steal it.

give it to the cops, demonstrate that you have no criminal intent and let the authorities do their thing.

I am moving to a house with a 400 foot long driveway. I am waiting on the day some fool claims he was there for innocent reasons, just wandered in off the county road.

kendall
03-02-2017, 10:39 AM
If it has an SD card open it up and check what's on it. May recognize someone.
If the break in was reported at the time, I'd turn it in to the police, but if it wasn't they won't take it seriously.

Doesn't Iphone allow you to name the phone as something like 'Fred's Phone'? Set your wireless to 'advertise' and turn the phone to see if you get a name? If someone is gonna break into a shed, they're gonna have the phone set to connect to any free wireless.

I live near hardy pond, during the summer it's a real party and boating spot, in spring they let the water levels drop by 12-14 feet and I walk the new 'beach' to see if I find anything interesting. I've found dozens of phones (as well as a Glock 9mm, in a bag with $680 in 20s and some small plastic baggies) and always post them (phones only, glock went to MSP) on CL, to date I've never had anyone claim them.

A.K. Boomer
03-02-2017, 10:45 AM
(as well as a Glock 9mm, in a bag with $680 in 20s and some small plastic baggies).

Holy crap -- yeah nothing fishy going on there,,, keep your eyes open for some water-proof boxes of cocaine and maybe a dead body or two :p

softtail
03-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier...

Phone probably doesn't belong to a thief, but was stolen and thrown in your yard by a thief. I have found purses and wallets with credit cards, checkbooks, etc still in them. Many petty thieves want (and can figure out) cash only. It's also safer for them as can't be traced back. They just chuck the rest of it, usually out of a moving vehicle.

A.K. Boomer
03-02-2017, 10:51 AM
yeah but ---- how did the shed door get open?

Doozer
03-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Kill it with fire.

-Doozer

fastfire
03-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier...

Phone probably doesn't belong to a thief, but was stolen and thrown in your yard by a thief. I have found purses and wallets with credit cards, checkbooks, etc still in them. Many petty thieves want (and can figure out) cash only. It's also safer for them as can't be traced back. They just chuck the rest of it, usually out of a moving vehicle.

If some one threw it they got on heck of an arm. 75yds off the road

A.K. Boomer
03-02-2017, 10:56 AM
1-adam 12, 1-adam 12,,, keep and eye out for a baseball player on steroids.

softtail
03-02-2017, 11:06 AM
yeah but ---- how did the shed door get open?

Dunno. Left open by OP? Someone else? Blown open? But my theory is a distinct possibility. Now, if something were missing....Needless to say, we wont get to the bottom of it on this forum unless op finds phone's owner.

fastfire
03-02-2017, 11:10 AM
This is what I've tried so far; https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-find-the-owner-of-lost-iphone-ipad/

bob_s
03-02-2017, 12:33 PM
I was taught that honesty is the best policy.

Check:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-N4bOAov1qCo/learn/learningcenter/MP3/iPodgenchart.html

And

http://www.everyi.com/by-identifier/index-ipod-iphone-ipad-models-by-identifier.html

Also look on the back of the device, depending on where the device was purchased, it may have the owners surname engraved on the back - really fine font laser engraving?

Greg_B
03-02-2017, 12:48 PM
An Ipod is different than an Ipad or Iphone. Did not know they had much in the way of security built in. It is really only an MP3 kind of music storage and playing device.

From WIK "The iPod is a line of portable media players and multi-purpose pocket computers designed and marketed by Apple Inc. The first version was released on October 23, 2001, "

Using the numbers on the back, you might be able to identify model, how old etc. Then search on a way to reset to factory conditions if possible.

Or take the other route, turn it into the local PD. Or even just take it to electronic recycle center if you have one.

Machine
03-02-2017, 12:52 PM
....found an iPhone on my property....It's actually an Ipod.

Couple of days before the shed that stores garden supplies and tools door was open, I hadn’t been in there in 2 weeks.

Put 2-n-2 together and I have a thief’s phone. Thanks

I'm confused. Do you have an unknown person's phone or simply an mp3 player?

If it's a phone, charge it and leave it on until someone calls. Answer any calls and try to find out who's phone it is by querying any callers. But be aware that there are phone location services that may bring the owner - who you say may be a thief - to your doorstep.

fastfire
03-02-2017, 03:01 PM
I'm confused. Do you have an unknown person's phone or simply an mp3 player?

If it's a phone, charge it and leave it on until someone calls. Answer any calls and try to find out who's phone it is by querying any callers. But be aware that there are phone location services that may bring the owner - who you say may be a thief - to your doorstep.

unknown person's phone , I'd be hesitant about answering it for the reason of location services.Or be somewhere else and it rings I'd answer.

Paul Alciatore
03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Yes, put it in the hands of the cops.

Nothing was missing from the shed so all you really have is a phone that someone, POSSIBLY a trespasser, left on your property. People do have the right to walk up to your front door if you do not fence off the property so it could have been a girl scout selling cookies. With nothing actually stolen, I doubt that the police could make any charges and they will probably decline to investigate it as a crime.

But the police should know how to ID the owner of the phone. If it was innocent, then no harm done. If they were trying to steal something, then knowing that the police know that they were there should be a chilling thing. Again, the phone could have been stolen.

The best thing, all around, is to turn it over to the police and let them handle it. And put a lock on your lawn shed if you are concerned about it. I keep mine locked.

Call the cops.

A.K. Boomer
03-02-2017, 03:50 PM
With nothing missing my mind now turns to fun/games and delinquent deviations,,, and I know everybody's going to think im a perv, but I now think two kids had sex in your lawn shed, no big whoop, the phone is the males because we all know how we get when were about to get some cheap tail, forgetful, in fact he probably still doesn't know its lost...

I would turn it into the law and just wear some gloves in the future when having to handle the bags of "fertilizer"...

Machine
03-02-2017, 03:52 PM
unknown person's phone , I'd be hesitant about answering it for the reason of location services.Or be somewhere else and it rings I'd answer.

I believe the location services do not require the phone to be answered. Simply on and connected to a local cell service.

lakeside53
03-02-2017, 05:04 PM
and if the guy has enabled "find my i-phone".. he can... So power it down and hand it off to the police.

OldSquier
03-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Call the cops.
Qsimdo,

Bro you don't ever want to call the cops! Hell they are just as apt to put our PM brother in jail as anything else. Avoid cops like the plaugue.

Squier

It's actually an Ipod.

Put 2-n-2 together and I have a thief’s phone.

I need to charge it.

I posted in the Craig’s List lost and found that I had found an Iphone on the road that I live on, and if they could ID it , it was theirs.

It has a 4 digit code to open it and will try using years.

Any ideas as to find out who’s it is?
Thanks

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

fastfire
03-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Took it to a local computer repair he charged it and all he could get from it was this;Finnigan's iPOD, he did this for free.
Looked in the phone book for that last name and came up with nothing. Maybe a first name?
Going to talk to some trustworthy neighbors rear by and ask if they know anyone with the name.

softtail
03-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Took it to a local computer repair he charged it and all he could get from it was this;Finnigan's iPOD, he did this for free.
Looked in the phone book for that last name and came up with nothing. Maybe a first name?
Going to talk to some trustworthy neighbors rear by and ask if they know anyone with the name.

Ipod or Iphone? Not the same. There is a slew of lost iphones on Boise craigslist.

A.K. Boomer
03-03-2017, 10:29 PM

Mary? as in Mary Tyler Moore? was around the same time frame and would explain why nobody came looking for it...

still thinking two kids had sex in your shed... sometimes it takes a criminal mind to catch a criminal mind...

lakeside53
03-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Ipod? listen to it.. might have some good music on board.

Evan
03-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Read first sentence in this thread.

It's actually an Ipod.

deltaenterprizes
03-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Call the cops.

Best idea!

fastfire
03-04-2017, 08:57 AM
can't it has a 4 digit code

MrFluffy
03-04-2017, 12:11 PM
My son was going on about his shape unlock on his phone being secure yesterday, "hand me the phone and I'll defeat it" I said, so unbelieving he hands me the phone after I first promise to not walk out the kitchen into my office with it or attach any external devices to it.
I hold it up so it reflects the light off the kitchen light on the screen, you can easily see the grease trail from his fingers in the shape. Two attempts and I hand him his phone back unlocked with a "don't depend on it being unlockable"...
Wonder if you can see the same evidence strongly enough to lower down the amount of attempts it might take into the plausible to guess range...

Evan
03-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Try 1 2 3 4

List of the 20 most common PINS:
1234 9999
1111 3333
0000 5555
1212 6666
7777 1122

nearly 11% of the 3.4 million passwords are 1234

ww_big_al
03-04-2017, 09:04 PM
I also would call the cops. If it belongs to a thief then they may be able to track him down. Who knows, he may be responsible for several brake in around the area. These are the types of things that can brake a case for them.

vpt
03-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Take it apart and see whats inside. Maybe a guy can use some parts.

Sell it on ebay.

Sell it on craigslist.

Throw it in someone elses yard.

Leave it in your neighbors mailbox and see what they do with it.