PDA

View Full Version : Another showing off the Shaper thread

BCRider
03-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Since everyone else is showing pictures of their families I figured I'd jump in on the bandwagon.

So for the delight of y'all here's pictures of my own Elliot made Alba. The Elliot tag attached to the machine shows that it's a later one produced after Elliot bought them out.

It's a 10 inch ram travel machine. So it's a bit larger and heavier than the often seen 7" bench top machines posted on here over the last while. The lantern tool post accepts 1/2 x 1 1/8" maximum size shanks or I can directly mount a piece of 1/2 HSS with a 1/2" square backing pad for support for heavier cuts with lower overhang and thus less flex.

I've made a few bits and pieces but really nothing much so far. It's mostly been used for getting to know what it can do and get a feel for playing with different cutter geometries. Having access to the vertical side of the block has been handy as I've used the shaper for slotting the ends of a couple of bigger size boring bars to take the cutting bits. Being able to use the vertical surface was VERY nice.

Sorry for the first shot of the machine on it's heavy cast stand. It was sitting in "portrait" mode until I posted it to my album here on HSM and there seems to be no way to rotate it. So lean to the right.....

Altogether the machine weighs easily as much as a very heavy motorcycle and likely close to what some of the smaller cars out there weigh. I cannot so much as budge a corner of the base even when there is no machine on top of it or motor inside. To aid me in moving it around I made up a lever lift strap buggy that slips underneath and gets the other wheel bolted on. Then I can "wheel barrow" it around the shop. If this sounds interesting I could take some piccies of the buggy for folks to look over.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=915&d=1488488707

Next are the right and left sides then the left side with covers open for the belt changing and ram travel adjustments. I had to make up a crow's foot tool for the travel adjuster since at some amounts of travel the nut is partially hidden and cannot be reached with a socket and extension.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=914&d=1488488706

You can see from the placement of the power switch in the view above that I wanted to be sure I was well away from the ram in case I were to be leaning over and get punched in the forehead :) Really though between the ram threatening to bop us one and the chips being tossed off the front standing to the side is not a bad idea at all. Besides, all the controls I need are on that side. So it made perfect sense to put the switch back there.

BCRider
03-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Apparently smilies count as images when the forum is counting up to the limit of 4 pictures. I didn't spot the smilie until I split and posted the first part... :) There's another one for you....

Before I put in any more smilies here's the other two pictures.

The side with the covers and with covers open.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=913&d=1488488705

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=916&d=1488488708

Alan Smith
03-02-2017, 04:35 PM
THat's a really nice compact machine.

quasi
03-02-2017, 05:37 PM
they are the best small shaper there is.

BCRider
03-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Having the motor down underneath in the base sure does help keep the foot print under control.

I can't say I've got a lot of experience with it but so far it seems far more capable than the size suggests. I've not had the guts to try for more than a 1/8" DOC with the roughly .004 step on self feed. But it took that without much of a grunt at all.

I needed room under the machine to allow me to fit the lifting bogey for moving it around. So I made the feet such that I could also adjust them to make up for uneven floors. With it sitting nice and equal on the feet there's very little "swing" to the machine so there's not a lot of drama when it cuts. But as Jerry pointed out in the "are shapers boring?" thread the power in it is certainly there. It may not be fast but it won't be stalled or turned away either. From watching You Tube videos I learned the value of the practice of cycling the machine by hand through a full stroke or two looking for possible collision issues.

I think it's sort of like watching a guy with a big bulldozer moving around in tight spots. It's impressive how much can be done in a short time. But if the operator makes one small slipup then things go REALLY bad in a hurry. And the bulldozer won't even blink while it does the dirty deed.

It's funny but for some reason I'd missed or forgotten that the machine is a different grey from the base! ! !