PDA

View Full Version : O/T: EBay is Harmful: To My wallet.

JRouche
03-03-2017, 11:54 PM
I know, I know. Another Ebay post....

The thing is I am in machinery no-mans land. The Outskirts of Los Angeles. Dont laugh. There are so many people that the inflation rate is high.

I can score a really good deal off ebay even with shipping. So yeah, ebay has me spending hand over azz for "all" these great deals you just cant pass up... Like the Big Box stores I guess. Two gallons of mayonnaise for the price of one.

I used to sell on ebay, prolly 2004-2007. I sold my Acura TL, one year old, very low miles to a guy in Georgia. ($27,000+shipping). He was happy to receive the car as it was described by me.

When I sell on ebay or any other rag for that matter I ALWAYS describe the item in full detail. Detail of the flaws. I want the buyer to see what he or she is getting. I describe the flaws with words and let the pictures tell the rest of the story. So I still have a 100%+ feedback. As a seller I never want to misrepresent the item I am selling.

And after thousands of buys I think most sellers are the same. I have had maybe three or four rotten deals since 2000. And I buy from India, China, Hong Kong, Japan, U.K., and Russia. I cant remember trading with anyone south of the EQ (maybe Brazil).

No, not a business man, just a Hoarder, Machinist wanna-be.

So yeah. I am out of room in my garage and my wallet is shrunk up like a prune. EBay is Harmful: To My wallet.

On a nice passing thought. I have enough home shop machining materials and tools to carry me into retirement. I think I need to cut my ebay account... JR

lakeside53
03-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Mine too... Need to set myself a budget... NA!

I'm also a part time long time seller (more in the past), with 100% feedback. Never had a bad deal buy or sell.

last couple of weeks.

-Dorian CA tool post
- 1-7/16th Armstrog spud wrench for tool post
-CA tool holders
- NOS 3/4 x 10 inch sold carbide boring bar
- 10 insert for same - made of unobtainium,... has to buy damn near retail!

Now browsing for inserts for my dpmg bars... but oohhh so much other stuff to look at. Click...

JRouche
03-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Now browsing for inserts for my dpmg bars... but oohhh so much other stuff to look at. Click...

My favorite insert for my small equipment is the "D" profile. The triangle is what many folks, like myself start with.

Have I chipped more brazed carbide bits than inserts? YES. I love my brazed carbide for detail work, razor sharp. I like my inserts for everything else. JR

MattiJ
03-04-2017, 02:46 AM
I hear You... 170 orders from ebay last year ;)

Last one was more of these: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=diamond+plate&_sop=15&_oac=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdiamond+p late+3000.TRS0&_nkw=diamond+plate+3000&_sacat=0
Large, non-perforated fine diamond plates have been painfully difficult to find, that problem is fixed now!

ncjeeper
03-04-2017, 03:08 AM
I too have got some great tooling off of E-bay. Easy to shop and compare prices without leaving your chair.

Toolguy
03-04-2017, 08:46 AM
I have bought over 900 items on eBay since 2000. Probably an average of 20 cents on the dollar, but many more like 2 or 5 cents. I have a very well equipped shop now, but would only have maybe 1/10 of it if I had to pay full retail.

Dan Dubeau
03-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Ebay is not such a great deal for us Canucks with the dollar being low, and shipping....., but Kijiji is the same for me. Not so much anymore, the kids have put a slowdown on it. I tell my wife, at any given time, in any given city I can find a deal and something I can buy to keep, or flip to make some gas money. She laughs when we travel, as I'll browse kijiji for the area were going to first. I came by ii honest though, my father is just as bad as me. His poison is yard sales though. I never did inherit his haggling skills though. I'm not much of a haggler, but he has no shame ha ha. Wife used to work weekend night shift (hospital), so dad, the kids and I would hop in the truck and just drive around all day hitting yard sales so the wife could sleep in silence. Or find something on kijiji and go for a road trip. Lot's of good memories.

The wife even enjoys the kijiji roadtrips once in a while too. We've been from Ottawa to Owen sound picking up knitting machines and other related goodies for her knitting "hobby". Before kids we'd make a weekend out of it, even down to the states for weekend roadtrips to buy things. I've got friends who think were crazy, but I'd rather do that than spend the weekend watching television.