PDA

View Full Version : Making videos of machining related stuff

Dan_the_Chemist
03-03-2017, 11:58 PM
Okay, now that I've gone crazy and bought the Battleshaper... (a shaper big enough for a battleship) I feel that the collection, transport, installation, rebuild, first cuts and learning how to actually use the thing might make a good series of videos... I've made a couple of videos and put them on Youtube, but they don't compare with the artistry of some of our other member's videos. For example - the videos of This Old Tony, who would be great if he could just lighten up and develop a sense of humor.

So, what advice can you guys give to me? Should I talk to the hands, or use a tripod and talk to the camera? (warning - I'm powerful ooogly). What the best editing software? Do you like heavily after-edited, or simple but full of good content like Joe Pie and Mr Pete222? How does Clickspring do it - does he own a production company?

And most importantly - where do I find a penny to include scale in my videos (like The Joy of Precision)?

This is the best one I've done so far... The video is from a series of letters home from the young pup Kristina.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__gnu9Hipw

Thanks

Dan

PS... Here are another couple of pics of the Battleshaper.

http://i.imgur.com/XTzrqMV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1XLrUJt.jpg

PStechPaul
03-04-2017, 12:15 AM
I enjoyed your video featuring the dogs. Don't worry too much about slick editing - just keep it interesting and don't spend too much time on monotonous portions. The most important thing is to take video of almost everything, and choose the best parts to put together and make public. I have well over 100 videos on my YouTube channel(s), and only a few are pretty good, but I'm glad I captured many of those moments, especially those of my dog Muttley (RIP 11/15).

https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulAndMuttley

nc5a
03-04-2017, 04:29 AM
Dan,

I'm stepping into the video arena myself. Yesterday, after much research I purchased Power Director 15 ($53 and change) for the download and a DVD. I decided to buy a decent editor rather than mess with free ones that may or may not work for me. The 2017 review of the top 10 editors I read had it rated as the best low cost editing software. In 2016 it was rated gold in the top 10. Since I'm a beginner I went with an editor that is supposed to be easy to use. Also, there are a couple pretty good you tube videos showing how to use it.

I shot 23 video files in HD since the beginning of the year and imported them into Power Director 15 today. I played with them a bit in the full function editor then realized I needed to go back and look at some more instructional videos. There is a beginner editor within Power Director 15 that I could have used, maybe should have used. I also down loaded the 444 page manual for it.

Did you get any manuals with it? How about tooling? Did the owner power it up for you? My 16" G&E was an auction buy so there was no chance to power it up.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Ron

enginuity
03-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Technically for me the biggest thing is lighting. There are a lot of youtube machining and machining related videos where the lighting is terrible. Machine shops are often dark places (something I can't exactly figure out why). I've made up a fair number of lights (I take desk lamps and tape the inside of them with aluminum tape and then go and find the largest LED bulb I can find that will screw in) and I'd like to make up some more. Software wise I would advise you to just go out and buy Adobe Premiere elements. It's worth it.

You will do best if your videos, in my opinion, reflect who you are. Don't pretend to be someone or something else. There is way too much fake scripted stuff on television. I know there is a lot trash on Youtube, but there is also a lot of really really good stuff. Many people, myself included, are completely sick of the scripted trash that is mainstream television.

If you can teach - teach. If you just want to beautifully show stuff through awesome video work - do that. If you want to monologue and you are good at it do that. Sure you can improve yourself in certain areas, but go with what you know. Most of all be genuine.

boslab
03-04-2017, 05:20 PM
I find audio messes up many, good mic I suppose.
" battleshaper " nice, Nimitz class, oh yeah
Mark

jhe.1973
03-05-2017, 01:40 AM
Give my your address and I'll send you a penny.

:D

Baz
03-05-2017, 08:43 AM
Penny? get into the 21 century and put your credit card in the picture, making sure the number is clear :eek:
The star of the show is the shaper, not you, so:
Don't include yourself droning to camera. Nobody except perhaps his mother want's to see pictures of an old bloke yapping away. If you feel the need for a human presence talking write a script so it can be pre-thought out not waffle and find a young wanabe actress to deliver it.
Speed up the boring bits and slow some informative bits to allow time for the detail to be absorbed without the viewer having to freeze it and don't flip around tiny short shots.
Keep an eye on music copyright problems and if you have to have crap dead frog rock or whatever you are into don't have any dialogue so the sound can be turned off without losing any valuable information. You seen to have caption ability so can avoid that.

lynnl
03-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Dispense with the music altogether! If I watch a shaper video I'm not interested in your preferred music.

And I'll reiterate Baz' suggestion: be brief! When I watch these guys' videos who just go on and on over the same points and issues I just feel my life ebbing away.

Black Forest
03-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Number one thing that bothers me on youtube videos is music. Some background music as in way in the background so I don't have to try to listen over it is OK.
Second thing I will recommend is learn to talk. Tape yourself talking and have someone give you a critical review. Know your material and make sure you don't utter the uhhs and ands and other sounds that you would not include in written text. That makes me nuts and is a real sign of an amateur.