PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Pot Warming Plate ????? OT

JoeLee
03-04-2017, 11:32 AM
I have a real nice drip coffee maker, it works great but the finish on the warming plate has been slowly coming off. Now bare steel is exposed in spots.
I was thinking of taking it apart and refinishing the warmer plate. But............ I don't know what I should refinish it with.
I'm guessing it's teflon coated from the factory. Doubtful I can ever duplicate the factory coating, so what would be my best option???? I don't know if heat resistant paint will last or even stick. Is there any type of teflon spray paint that would work?

JL...................

Toolguy
03-04-2017, 11:47 AM
I would try the black barbeque grill paint. The coffee maker doesn't get nearly as hot as a grill.

boslab
03-04-2017, 11:55 AM
You can buy self adhesive Teflon sheet on a roll, much beloved of packaging machine rolls, it stands a really high temp, and sticks on, the stuff I have is brown, well tan really, I use it on bag sealers over red hot nichrome heater, I use it on PVC frame welder heated platten (170c)
A thought
Mark

Axkiker
03-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Grill paint will probably work for a while but I doubt very long. The sliding of the glass pot taking it on and off will probably wear it pretty fast.

It does bring up a good question though. Is there a way to apply a teflon coating like which is on the typical skillet.

lakeside53
03-04-2017, 12:18 PM
machine it off and polish! then polish weekly..

BTW.. no "paint" is going stick to that coating so to do it right you'll be stripping it the hard way anyhow.

6PTsocket
03-04-2017, 12:30 PM
What about any tough auto paint like engine or caliper paint? They will take the heat and caliper paint survives a lot of abuse and very high temps. If the plate is metal, I don't see why there should be an adhering problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JoeLee
03-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Grill paint will probably work for a while but I doubt very long. The sliding of the glass pot taking it on and off will probably wear it pretty fast.

It does bring up a good question though. Is there a way to apply a teflon coating like which is on the typical skillet.My thoughts also.
Grill paint is usually pretty thin, and is also a flat and will not repel or bead water. Compounded by the everyday rubbing of the pot it won't last long. Teflon like what is on the no stick pans is what I'm wondering about, or something close. Adhesive type films won't conform to the radius edge, so that's out. I have heard of high temp ceramic paint. That I may look into.

JL..................

wierdscience
03-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Cut out a thin sheet of Aluminum with some tabs you can bend around the edges to hold it in place.

Euph0ny
03-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Buy a cheap non-stick aluminium frying pan and cut a disk out of it to replace the damaged plate...

JoeLee
03-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Buy a cheap non-stick aluminium frying pan and cut a disk out of it to replace the damaged plate...I don't think that will work. The warmer plate has the element potted in it and is a sealed unit.

JL...................

Highpower
03-04-2017, 01:55 PM
You got me curious so I looked up a new warmer for our Bunn coffee maker. For $15 each I wouldn't waste my time trying to refinish them. Might be worth looking up yours. YMMV.

http://www.pamasco.com/bunn036520000warmerassyblk-100w120v.aspx
(http://www.pamasco.com/bunn036520000warmerassyblk-100w120v.aspx)

Westline
03-04-2017, 02:21 PM
If you want to paint what about cerakote high heat paint ... It's pricey but wear resistant and can handle heat.

flylo
03-04-2017, 03:40 PM
You got me curious so I looked up a new warmer for our Bunn coffee maker. For $15 each I wouldn't waste my time trying to refinish them. Might be worth looking up yours. YMMV.

http://www.pamasco.com/bunn036520000warmerassyblk-100w120v.aspx
(http://www.pamasco.com/bunn036520000warmerassyblk-100w120v.aspx)

If you get a Bun that leaks water call & they'll send the deal N/C. We had a dual pot unit at work & every year one leaked so I told the lady in charge of supplies I'd fix it, NO WAY she bought a new one so I have a nice one N/C & everyone got one too.

CCWKen
03-04-2017, 06:49 PM
If you want to paint what about cerakote high heat paint ... It's pricey but wear resistant and can handle heat.

Yeah, you can probably buy a new coffee maker for what one pint of Cerakote cost.

Highpower
03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
If you get a Bun that leaks water call & they'll send the deal N/C. We had a dual pot unit at work & every year one leaked so I told
the lady in charge of supplies I'd fix it, NO WAY she bought a new one so I have a nice one N/C & everyone got one too.

Good to know, thanks. We just have a single (brewer) here at home but it does have 2 pots with upper and lower warmers. Knock wood.... no water leaks though. It's been a solid machine.

Westline
03-05-2017, 01:29 AM
Yeah, you can probably buy a new coffee maker for what one pint of Cerakote cost.

It all depends on how much he loves his current coffee maker :-)

darryl
03-05-2017, 02:18 AM
Maybe get a nice piece of stainless sheet, cut it to fit, and silicone it on.

dave_r
03-05-2017, 03:19 AM
I've given up on glass coffee pots. They need a burner to keep the coffee hot, and that winds up making the coffee taste burnt after a couple of hours.

The thermos-style metal pots will keep the coffee hot for hours, but without the need for heat, and the coffee tastes much better.

elf
03-05-2017, 04:14 AM
I don't think that will work. The warmer plate has the element potted in it and is a sealed unit.

JL...................

Use thermal adhesive as used for CPUs and other chips. You should be able to find one good to 250C. I tried thermal silicone for a heat sink, but it stayed slippery.

RichR
03-05-2017, 11:40 AM
I've given up on glass coffee pots. They need a burner to keep the coffee hot, and that winds up making the coffee taste burnt after a couple of hours.

The thermos-style metal pots will keep the coffee hot for hours, but without the need for heat, and the coffee tastes much better.

I just turn the machine off when it's done brewing. When I want more hot coffee I place a mug of coffee in the microwave for 60 seconds.

6PTsocket
03-18-2017, 12:39 PM

I agree. That is what all the coffee gurus say. Go with the thermos carafe. There seems to be a big difference between how well they work. The one on my Krupp coffee pot does not keep the coffee hot nearly as long as a similar sized one we have, of unknown origin. Even if you have a glass one and you like the coffee pot, it might pay to get an insulated carafe. My wife and I have different taste in coffee so we ofen make one type, store it in the stand alone carafe and brew pot of the other stuff. Alco handy if you have company and need a lot of coffee.

JoeLee
03-18-2017, 01:32 PM

The thermos-style metal pots will keep the coffee hot for hours, but without the need for heat, and the coffee tastes much better. I never make more than I will drink at any one time. Yes, leaving it sit on the burner does alter the way it tastes. In fact, I can notice a difference from the first cup and ten minutes later the second.
I can't imagine leaving it sitting in the pot for hours. So for any of you guys that were inquiring about how to remove paint from a project machine, this may be the answer.

JL.................

dave_r
03-18-2017, 04:03 PM
I agree. That is what all the coffee gurus say. Go with the thermos carafe. There seems to be a big difference between how well they work. The one on my Krupp coffee pot does not keep the coffee hot nearly as long as a similar sized one we have, of unknown origin. Even if you have a glass one and you like the coffee pot, it might pay to get an insulated carafe. My wife and I have different taste in coffee so we ofen make one type, store it in the stand alone carafe and brew pot of the other stuff. Alco handy if you have company and need a lot of coffee.

I bought the Beville 12 cup one with the coffee grinder (I used the grinder a couple times, messy and I'm not that fussy about my coffee) and the coffee will be still warm to the touch 12 hours later when I clean it out. I had a Cuisinart one, but it failed after just over a year (and now I won't buy that brand, as I've had a variety of products from them, and they've all failed just over a year, or even within the year and to get it fixed, it's spend 1/2 the value of the product in shipping to them and hope they also agreed it's a defect, otherwise they bill you for it and if you don't pay they throw it away).

CCWKen
03-18-2017, 04:35 PM
I just bought a new Mr. Coffee for $16.88. The previous one lasted 6+ years with an occasional cleaning. It still works but one of nibs on pot top hinge broke and it's a pain to mess with a loose top. I brew 8 1/2 cups then immediately pour it into a preheated insulated carafe. Stays hot until it's gone or I've had enough. I can taste the difference if the pot is left on the heater for more than a few minutes after brewing. I time the brew and come back and pour it after 8 minutes whether the last few drops are finished or not. That's why I brew 8 1/2 and get at least 8 out of it. That how I like my coffee so that's what I do. Nothing else matters. I'm afraid to try a different brewer as it may change the taste. :)

JoeLee
03-18-2017, 04:41 PM
I got my coffee pot for free when I ordered a few pounds of coffee.............that was about 8 years ago. It still works, and after all that time I'm thinking about refinishing the warmer..............imagine that?????

With my luck if I went out and dropped $60 or so for a new one it probably wouldn't last a year.

JL..................

Alistair Hosie
03-31-2017, 12:27 PM
What would it cost just to buy a new one. I am a great believer in things having a realistic lifespan. Of course Bron would laugh at that, but it sounds to me that a patch up would look ugly and never work properly in the long term. No my friend time for a coffee warmer funeral. Alistair

Paul Alciatore
03-31-2017, 12:44 PM
I have a regular coffee maker, 8 or 10 cups, but I only use it for company. For daily use I have a B&D single cup maker and it works great. Every cup is fresh and there is never any waste. No pot, just put your cup in it. And no warming plate so it is all plastic. No issues with any finish wearing off. It is at least eight years old and still going strong.

Another great advantage is I keep about a half dozen different coffees in the house and I can have whatever one I want, when I want it.

J Tiers
03-31-2017, 01:17 PM
About that coffee warmer....

Just curious if it also charges your phone.....?

lakeside53
03-31-2017, 03:33 PM
I actually have a coffee mug with USB port on it. Supposedly you plug it into your computer and it keeps the coffee warm. hmmmm......

J Tiers
03-31-2017, 04:48 PM
I was thinking of down this page a bit....

http://dilbert.com/

Start at march 21....

Mark Rand
03-31-2017, 06:24 PM
That had been going through my head as I read this thread. ;)

flylo
03-31-2017, 07:42 PM
What does it matter if it still makes coffee & keeps it hot? Probable can't see it with the pot on it anyway, right?

Magicniner
04-01-2017, 05:41 AM
If the heater pad is in a housing wouldn't black teflon sheet slightly larger than the hole for the heater + silicone sealer to the housing look neat enough and work OK?

JoeLee
04-01-2017, 09:56 AM
I found a company that makes teflon paint that is available in a spray can. It's supposed to be the closest thing to factory teflon coating.
I got side tracked with other projects so this one has been put on the back burner. I need to do a little more research on it first.

http://toefco.com/teflon-coating-spray/

JL....................

Magicniner
04-01-2017, 01:19 PM
"A Teflon coating spray, when applied to the ball bearings, will reduce the friction and abrasion endured by the ball bearings."

Teflon paint coating lasting on a ball bearing in service? Hmm, I'm getting, mmm, Snake Oil!

Might work well for a heater plate though, it would be even better if it had something like metallic or ceramic particles added to improve wear characteristics like modern non-stick pan coatings,

- Nick

JoeLee
04-01-2017, 01:37 PM
I agree, that's why I'm still researching.

JL...................