PDA

View Full Version : I went to Radio Shack and...

RB211
03-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Nearly had a stroke at the prices... 9$ for a small pack of heat shrink tubing? 15$ for a variety pack of 1/8 watt resistors? Yes, I can see that the remaining stores will be closings, even if they won't admit to it.
Radio Shack is great when you must have a component today, but geez, I'll wait a few days for Digi-key to send the part, but not only that, in a life time supply quantity of that part for less money. If I REALLY have patience, I will order the parts from Hong Kong, stuff like Dupont connector housings, heat shrink tubing, etc...

polaraligned
03-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Yeah, they are shot. All the brick and mortar electronics supply houses have closed up. I worked servicing TV's in the early 80's and it was starting to get tough back then to get parts, locally or even from the manufacturers.

wombat2go
03-05-2017, 11:11 AM
I use MCM Electronics for new components. Fast delivery, often next day.
I also use Surplus Sales Nebraska, BMI Surplus, etc if the prices are OK.
And Sphere Research in Canada for parts for the old test gear here.

Lee Cordochorea
03-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Radio Schmuck has always been a poor choice for anything other than batteries. I'm amazed they didn't fail decades ago.

RB211
03-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Yeah, they are shot. All the brick and mortar electronics supply houses have closed up. I worked servicing TV's in the early 80's and it was starting to get tough back then to get parts, locally or even from the manufacturers.

When I lived in the bay area, I used to go to Al Lashers, it appears they are still in business.

A.K. Boomer
03-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Used to be a time when the employees knew what a resistor was - or a diode or cap,

now they just give you a blank stare,,, but they are experts on cell phones,,, not really whats inside of them - just how to use them...

times have changed...

lakeside53
03-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Nearly had a stroke at the prices... 9$ for a small pack of heat shrink tubing? 15$ for a variety pack of 1/8 watt resistors? ..

I'm sitting on a fortune!

Highpower
03-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Used to be a time when the employees knew what a resistor was - or a diode or cap,

now they just give you a blank stare,,,

Been there... and then they finally closed the store. But it's no different than most any other business these days. I went into an Airgas store wanting to pick up some 4047 TIG filler rod. Had half a dozen employees including the store manager tell me there was no such thing as 4047. Only 4043. I told them to look it up on their own web site (https://www.airgas.com/category/Welding-Products-Filler-Metal-TIG-Rod-GTAW-TIG-Rod-Aluminum/_/N-0Z1z13vpdZ8bx). Sure enough - "Well I'll be ......"

Ever been in a fast food joint when their point of sale registers were down, and they had to figure out how much change to give you by using their own math skills? Wow.

DR
03-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Until a couple weeks ago I thought RS was totally out of business. Surprise..there's still a store in the mall near me.

I needed a couple connectors. Looking at the staff on duty I was trying to decide which one was going to make this purchase the least painful. As it turned out the young lady who first greeted me as I walked in knew what the connector was and did I want solder or screw? I was impressed.

Each 4-pack was $4.99. I only needed one. Still, if I had ordered online for $.29 each the shipping would have been more, plus the wait. Unless something is Amazon Prime, I'm seeing this more and more, you bite the bullet and pay the local exorbitant package price which is less than shipping.

There was a time back in the day when I needed a piece of tooling or whatever that it wasn't such a big deal to order UPS next or second day, not anymore.

BTW, I have a friend with a 50+ employee manufacturing business, all retail. He ships UPS exclusively with enough package volume they send an empty truck to his location in late afternoon. A couple years ago he told me the least expensive package he could ship is $8.

dave_r
03-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Been there... and then they finally closed the store. But it's no different than most any other business these days. I went into an Airgas store wanting to pick up some 4047 TIG filler rod. Had half a dozen employees including the store manager tell me there was no such thing as 4047. Only 4043. I told them to look it up on their own web site (https://www.airgas.com/category/Welding-Products-Filler-Metal-TIG-Rod-GTAW-TIG-Rod-Aluminum/_/N-0Z1z13vpdZ8bx). Sure enough - "Well I'll be ......"

Ever been in a fast food joint when their point of sale registers were down, and they had to figure out how much change to give you by using their own math skills? Wow.

Sorry, never happened. They would have no way to take the order, nor would they have any idea how much the items on the menu cost, nor would they have any idea how much tax to add...

Paul Alciatore
03-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Somewhere you always pay for shipping. If you buy from a local store, the cost of getting it from the manufacturer to their shelves is built into the shelf price, even at Wal-Mart. If you buy on-line, only part of that shipping price is already in the price, the part from the manufacturer to the on-line seller. So, for that and other reasons, their price is lower. But then it has to be shipped from them to you.

Both ways it is in there, just with different ways of listing it.

Oh, and for those on-line merchants who advertise "free shipping" the price of that "free shipping" IS in the price. It has to be. But that may be the best deal because they often get low rates from the shipping companies and have every reason to pass it on to their customers as they don't want their prices to look too high.

As for Radio Shack, I am sorry to see it go. We still have a store or two here in Beaumont, but I wonder how long they will last. Since their primary reason for existence seems to be cell phones, I suspect they will have a similar mortality rate. I get my electronic parts from companies like Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark, MCM, etc. I am not big on the direct-from-China sources for most parts as I do not trust the quality. But I do buy occasional items that way when I see good recommendations for them in places like this BB. One warning, DO NOT TRUST ANY CHINESE BATTERIES. Take them out when the device arrives and throw them away. Their primary ingredient is CORROSION and it comes out FAST.

We do still have one traditional electronic parts store, Ralphs. It seems to be part of a small chain. I don't know how long it will last. When I go there I am often the only car in their lot. I have observed this over a period of 10 to 15 years so it is not a recent decrease in business. But I suspect they sell to a lot of the local industry, probably with phone-in orders. That can work if they do it well. If one resistor will keep an oil well pumping or a ship to sail on time, well figure it out for yourself.

Until a couple weeks ago I thought RS was totally out of business. Surprise..there's still a store in the mall near me.

I needed a couple connectors. Looking at the staff on duty I was trying to decide which one was going to make this purchase the least painful. As it turned out the young lady who first greeted me as I walked in knew what the connector was and did I want solder or screw? I was impressed.

Each 4-pack was $4.99. I only needed one. Still, if I had ordered online for $.29 each the shipping would have been more, plus the wait. Unless something is Amazon Prime, I'm seeing this more and more, you bite the bullet and pay the local exorbitant package price which is less than shipping.

There was a time back in the day when I needed a piece of tooling or whatever that it wasn't such a big deal to order UPS next or second day, not anymore.

BTW, I have a friend with a 50+ employee manufacturing business, all retail. He ships UPS exclusively with enough package volume they send an empty truck to his location in late afternoon. A couple years ago he told me the least expensive package he could ship is $8.

PStechPaul
03-05-2017, 04:37 PM
You can get quite a few components from Microcenter, and they have 25 stores in the US:

http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/default.aspx

There is also Fry's, especially on the left coast:

http://www.frys.com/ac/storeinfo/storelocator/?site=csfooter_B

I have amassed a huge "inventory" of electronic parts, but many of them are obsolete, or have become damaged by storage in a damp location. And very often I can't find a part I need, or it's something new or different from what I have, which are mostly thru-hole components. However I also have a pretty good assortment of SMT resistors, capacitors, diodes, BJTs, MOSFETs, LEDs, and the like. I ordered quite a few when they were on sale or much cheaper in 100 or 1000 quantity. I have lifetime supplies of many common 1/8 watt, 1%, 0805 resistors that were less than a penny apiece.

There's still a market for traditional components among ham radio fans, audiophools, "vintage" electronics buffs, robotics, and Arduino experimenters, but many of those are becoming more modularized. Perhaps Radio Shack could survive by setting up a kiosk in Walmart but they probably could not provide employees to give advice on experimenter parts except perhaps for a retiree who would be happy to work for a pittance and small commission. I have a friend who still sets up tables at hamfests where he spends all day selling maybe $50 worth of "receding edge" components like tubes. But he enjoys talking to other ham radio fans who stop by.

1935Ron
03-05-2017, 06:53 PM
RT 23 south bound Wayne N.J. , Wayne Electronics , is about the closest thing to a good electronics store around here.

Machine
03-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Radio Shack is on their deathbed. Every time I walk into our local store, I'm almost always the only person in there other than the store clerk. And almost all the floorspace is dedicated to their cell phone programs (which I'm totally not interested in). Surprisingly, they still have an electronics section in the back of the store. Small and narrow, but it is there. And like someone else said, everything is maxi-priced. Although I suspect virtually no one buys any raw electronic components from them in modern times, I mean who does stuff like that anymore? Heathkits and the like went out of fashion more than 30 years ago. Repairing consumer electronics went belly up nearly as long ago. I suspect they only keep the electronic parts in the back simply as a last vestige of their past so no one can say they totally lost track of their original business vision. Another thing is that the store clerk was a middle aged man. He was smart, educated, polite, helpful and he knew the difference between a zener diode and an electrolytic capacitor. I don't know how much they paid him, but he wasn't the usual retail cash register dummy. He seemed to be standing watch over the dying store like a knight guarding the Holy Grail.

6PTsocket
03-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Somewhere you always pay for shipping. If you buy from a local store, the cost of getting it from the manufacturer to their shelves is built into the shelf price, even at Wal-Mart. If you buy on-line, only part of that shipping price is already in the price, the part from the manufacturer to the on-line seller. So, for that and other reasons, their price is lower. But then it has to be shipped from them to you.

Both ways it is in there, just with different ways of listing it.

Oh, and for those on-line merchants who advertise "free shipping" the price of that "free shipping" IS in the price. It has to be. But that may be the best deal because they often get low rates from the shipping companies and have every reason to pass it on to their customers as they don't want their prices to look too high.

As for Radio Shack, I am sorry to see it go. We still have a store or two here in Beaumont, but I wonder how long they will last. Since their primary reason for existence seems to be cell phones, I suspect they will have a similar mortality rate. I get my electronic parts from companies like Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark, MCM, etc. I am not big on the direct-from-China sources for most parts as I do not trust the quality. But I do buy occasional items that way when I see good recommendations for them in places like this BB. One warning, DO NOT TRUST ANY CHINESE BATTERIES. Take them out when the device arrives and throw them away. Their primary ingredient is CORROSION and it comes out FAST.

We do still have one traditional electronic parts store, Ralphs. It seems to be part of a small chain. I don't know how long it will last. When I go there I am often the only car in their lot. I have observed this over a period of 10 to 15 years so it is not a recent decrease in business. But I suspect they sell to a lot of the local industry, probably with phone-in orders. That can work if they do it well. If one resistor will keep an oil well pumping or a ship to sail on time, well figure it out for yourself.
I went through big packs of Costco alkaline (Duracell) AA and AAA and practically every one of the damned batteries leaked. I just got some Harbor Freight Chinese cells and I am getting good run time and so far no leakage, and they are CHEAP. I have no illusions about HF quality but it is not all bad. To be fair, leakage is a common problem with most alkalines.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Puckdropper
03-06-2017, 02:51 AM
The thing is... people are doing more and more really cool things with electronics than they ever did before. Arudinos are simple to program, model locomotives have microcontrollers inside them, maker communities are thriving... it's just Radio Shack isn't anywhere near that action.

Has anyone played with a Raspberry Pi? Awesome little things, a store could probably sell quite a few of them if they could sell them for comparable prices to everyone else.

elf
03-06-2017, 03:20 AM
Sorry, never happened. They would have no way to take the order, nor would they have any idea how much the items on the menu cost, nor would they have any idea how much tax to add...

My wife and I were in Waterton Park (a nice little town in Alberta where grizzlies roam at night) a few years ago and a restaurant refused to sell us breakfast because their cash register wasn't working. We weren't very happy about going hungry...

ptjw7uk
03-06-2017, 03:37 AM
We now live in the 'sorry no repairable parts inside' time, if its broke buy a new one its cheaper.
I once offered to repair a Sony camcorder but balked when I found the price of the main board was 300 especially as you could pick up a new one for 200.
Here in UK Radio Shack died 20 plus years ago as did Tandy! My first computer was a TRS80 from Tandy in 1979 before the PC was born - Oh those were the days - sounds like a song!

Peter

winchman
03-06-2017, 06:48 AM
A friend and I went to a Zaxby's restaurant several months ago. The power was out in the building except for the kitchen area. We placed our orders, and were told the food was free since they had no way to figure out how much to charge or to run our credit cards. That's certainly better than turning us away. :)

JoeLee
03-06-2017, 08:42 AM
Nearly had a stroke at the prices... 9$ for a small pack of heat shrink tubing? 15$ for a variety pack of 1/8 watt resistors? Yes, I can see that the remaining stores will be closings, even if they won't admit to it.
Radio Shack is great when you must have a component today, but geez, I'll wait a few days for Digi-key to send the part, but not only that, in a life time supply quantity of that part for less money. If I REALLY have patience, I will order the parts from Hong Kong, stuff like Dupont connector housings, heat shrink tubing, etc...Yea, and it's all the cheapest of the cheapest chinese crap. Crap Shack is done !!!

JL...................

reggie_obe
03-06-2017, 09:07 AM
RT 23 south bound Wayne N.J. , Wayne Electronics , is about the closest thing to a good electronics store around here.

Greenbrook Electronics, Rt. 22 Greenbrook, NJ still carries a full line of discrete components, cable, switches, PCB supplies, cable, etc.

loose nut
03-06-2017, 10:02 AM
I went through big packs of Costco alkaline (Duracell) AA and AAA and practically every one of the damned batteries leaked. I just got some Harbor Freight Chinese cells and I am getting good run time and so far no leakage, and they are CHEAP. I have no illusions about HF quality but it is not all bad. To be fair, leakage is a common problem with most alkalines.

That is strange, I buy my Duracell batteries from Costco also and I have never had one leak and I keep a lot of batteries on hand.

A few months ago there was a news blip about how RShack has turned it self around and was coming back. Must have been in another dimension.

In Canada RShack was sold off, years ago, to Circuit City and renamed The Source. It isn't any better then what you guys are describing for RShack in the US.

JoeLee
03-06-2017, 10:31 AM
There are a lot of counterfeit batteries working their way into these stores.

JL.................

gellfex
03-09-2017, 09:14 PM
It's surprising how much of this crap can be had from Amazon. The USB jack on my phone crumbled and the $60 I was quoted was ridiculous to do for an 18 month old Moto G that was $140 new. So I found a 2 pack of jacks on Amazon for $6 shipped and I'm going to give it a shot with the soldering iron. Found it elsewhere for $1.50 apiece but $17 shipping!

Frank K
03-10-2017, 12:15 PM
There are a lot of counterfeit batteries working their way into these stores.

JL.................

My god! How do you counterfeit a Harbor Freight battery?

lakeside53
03-10-2017, 12:24 PM
uh oh... you guys caused this by creating this thread...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/radioshack-chain-operator-files-bankruptcy-014721286.html

MaxHeadRoom
03-10-2017, 04:45 PM
In Canada RShack was sold off, years ago, to Circuit City and renamed The Source. It isn't any better then what you guys are describing for RShack in the US.

One thing I was glad to buy before they moved out was the Radio Shack solder sucker, not the plunger pump style, but the soldering iron type with a hollow tip and a suction bulb, it is like night and day over the plunger type, R.S. seemed to be the only one to carry it, and even now I don't see any comparable item?
Max.

J Tiers
03-10-2017, 05:07 PM
They seem to be in bankruptcy again, and expected to liquidate.

Was in the local paper today. It had been mentioned a week or so ago as a possibility.

garyhlucas
03-10-2017, 05:17 PM
There was a good electronics store in Maryland called Baynesville electronics, but they closed about two months ago. When Radio Shack had the big round of closings last year or so I asked them if they saw an upswing in business as a result. They told me it went the other way they lost lots of business. It seems that every Radio Shack in the Baltimore area was directing people to Baynesville when they didn't have the part! Some stores even had cards printed up with directions.

I have hated Radio Shack forever. It is truly amazing how long they lasted.

J Tiers
03-10-2017, 07:58 PM
The ONLY good thing about RS was the fact that in a small town, you could reliably get "something" that might work for you at RS. Other than that, your next choice was to order in. Ordering is not much help when you are there for a week only, and the day before you leave, the in-laws ask if you can fix the <whatever> before you go.

Oh, that and I DID get, something like 45 years ago, a very nice VOM of the "Realistic" brand. Unlike many, it actually is very good, as good as the various Simpson 260s I have. 100k ohms per volt, as opposed to the 20k/V of most Simpsons. Made in Japan, of course, and by a good company.

Also, A household battery tester....and a clamp-on ammeter, they also work quite well. I like the ammeter better than Amprobe or GE in some ways.

Those three things were made back before the bean counters took over everywhere.

Lew Hartswick
03-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Also, A household battery tester.....

THAT is the one thing I wish I had bought. Still would like to find one or equal. I have quit building stuff electronic, having gotten into wood and more recently metal working. When I retired I sort of gave up electronics, figuring the 35 to 40 years I had been at it were enough. :-)
...lew...

Mike Nash
03-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Radio Shack's greatest benefit for me was the interest it invoked when my dad brought home a catalog from Pensacola, I think it was. I really was thinking that P-Box AM Transmitter would be sooo cool. We finally got a local store in Alabama and I got that kit and a pistol grip soldering iron and solder for my birthday one year and I was hooked. I don't know that I've ever been really good, but it has paid the bills for all of my working life.

J Tiers
03-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Radio Shack's greatest benefit for me was the interest it invoked when my dad brought home a catalog from Pensacola, I think it was. I really was thinking that P-Box AM Transmitter would be sooo cool. We finally got a local store in Alabama and I got that kit and a pistol grip soldering iron and solder for my birthday one year and I was hooked. I don't know that I've ever been really good, but it has paid the bills for all of my working life.

It was Eico and Heathkit in my case......

PStechPaul
03-11-2017, 12:24 AM
Anybody remember these guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_Radio_Electronics

J Tiers
03-11-2017, 12:52 AM
Yep.

They were downtown, the RS was nearby.

There was at least one more name that escapes my recall right now that had stores in many places. And Allied had some stores also, IIRC.

Highpower
03-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Yep.

They were downtown, the RS was nearby.

There was at least one more name that escapes my recall right now that had stores in many places.

Gateway?

And ditto on the RS home battery testers. I've still got a MICRONTA model 22-031 that has outlived and outperformed every other battery tester I've tried.

aboard_epsilon
03-11-2017, 07:43 AM
We in the uk had a similar company called RS components..originally called Radio Spares LTD ..they did diversify , and now are a very large company sell lots of engineering stuff ...the company I last worked for; a mineral water plant, ordered nearly all spares through them - bearings , contactors , oils, sensors, paper towels ..well in excess of 10,000 a year. lots of UK companies depend on this company...so its here to stay.

Puckdropper
03-11-2017, 07:58 AM
One thing I was glad to buy before they moved out was the Radio Shack solder sucker, not the plunger pump style, but the soldering iron type with a hollow tip and a suction bulb, it is like night and day over the plunger type, R.S. seemed to be the only one to carry it, and even now I don't see any comparable item?
Max.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00068IJSG/

You mean something like this? I've got it on my wishlist, just waiting for the price to pop down before I buy it.

garyhlucas
03-11-2017, 09:21 AM
You know I've always found solder wick to be easier to use. Radio Shack sold that too.

RB211
03-11-2017, 09:57 AM
You know I've always found solder wick to be easier to use. Radio Shack sold that too.

At West Mountain Radio, we had a very nice rework station that had a true solder sucker using a vacum pump. I need to find one for a good price. I use my hot air rework station for removing multi pin headers and components. Sometimes when a hole will not clear up, I put the nozzle right up to it and let it blow out the solder. For very tiny pads meant to be soldered together to enable or disable features on a board, I find the solder wick can't be beat.

MaxHeadRoom
03-11-2017, 10:11 AM

You mean something like this? I've got it on my wishlist, just waiting for the price to pop down before I buy it.

That's the one, I never regretted it. I find it way easier and better results than the plunger type and dry wick does not even come close.
You can easily add a small vacuum pump if preferred.
Max.

RB211
03-11-2017, 10:28 AM
That's the one, I never regretted it. I find it way easier and better results than the plunger type and dry wick does not even come close.
You can easily add a small vacuum pump if preferred.
Max.
Add a temperature regulated tip of decent quality, you'd have a winner

MaxHeadRoom
03-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Not intended for soldering though, the tip is hollow.
Max.

J Tiers
03-11-2017, 10:46 AM
+1 for the vacuum pump type. Except for the plug-ups, that seems to happen a good bit.

Pace makes the devices. Some are NLA and no parts, some have parts available. Despite that, all of them sell for big $$ on the used market. As much as a decent lathe with many goodies.

MaxHeadRoom
03-11-2017, 11:30 AM
One advantage to the bulb type is it is self clearing, when you depress the bulb it clears the nozzle, you have to remember to direct it to a metal receptacle though!!.
Max.

J Tiers
03-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Not intended for soldering though, the tip is hollow.
Max.

Sort-of.

A good "tip" is to actually use it to melt some new solder in place, then clean all (old and new) off with the sucker. That takes care of dross, and dissolved copper etc which can make the old solder hard to remove nicely.

RB211
03-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Yes, it was a Pace, thanks for jogging my memory. Yep, it did clog quite a bit but was no big deal.

lakeside53
03-11-2017, 06:14 PM
I have a lot of new Pace parts... and several new entire hand pieces for SMT etc. Probably should dump my surplus it all on Ebay

Mike Nash
03-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Hah! You just cost me $29.90. I went looking for the good iron clad tips again and found some NOS on ebay so I bought 4. A far cry from $1.99 each 20 years ago, but they are soooo much better than the cheap ones. I didn't buy them all if someone else wants a few. Radio Shack had some really good deals on some things they brand labeled years ago (Ungar especially.)

As much as I hate having to use the thing, it really does work very well. The best "tip" I ever discovered was to leave the tip alone after tinning and using it. Wipe it before tinning it again, but never wipe it and leave it heating or it oxidates and that's all she wrote.

Frank K
03-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Anybody remember these guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_Radio_Electronics

Yep. Spent plenty of time at their location at 100 6th Avenue, NYC. And their countermen KNEW electronics.

legendboy
03-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Anybody own any old RS speakers? I just rebuilt 2 pair of mach ones ;)

J Tiers
03-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Couple pair of the little metal cast case ones.

ncjeeper
03-12-2017, 11:28 PM
I have a Realistic receiver in the shop pumping out the tunes.

6PTsocket
03-18-2017, 11:35 PM

They won't be around long. Demanding $15 minumum wage will get them replaced with a touch screen. WaWa, a local quickie mart/gas station chain in my area has already switched over.

vpt
03-19-2017, 09:07 AM
The sign just went up on our radio shack few days ago. "Store closing"

:(

Being only a block away that has been my childhood favorite. I haven't gone there a real lot in the last years but do still drop in to check for needed resistors, leds, a charging cable, and the like. They have 30-60% off on the sign. Anything I should be buying out while I can?

Puckdropper
03-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Anything I should be buying out while I can?

I was pretty happy with their tools.

Brian H.
03-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Over in NW Arkansas, there are a couple of RadioShack stores that are kind of oddballs. Apparently, some decades back, the rules for new franchises were somewhat different, and these stores were incorporated under those older rules. The upshot is that while the stores get to use the RadioShack name and have to carry their usual stock, they aren't limited to it - i.e. they can carry most any other items they want to. As a result, they have a far better selection of stuff than any other RadioShack I've seen, sort of like a combination of RS and Adafruit. Prices on the non-RS branded stuff are more reasonable, too. The staff are certainly knowledgeable. I'm hoping they make it through.

There's another store in Tulsa called Affiliated Electronics - they are a true, old-line, mom & pop electronics hardware store. Resistors? Check the two aisles over there (8' tall, ~30' long, top to bottom). Capacitors? Same. It's a treasure trove, even before you consider that most of their stock is behind the counter... Sadly, I'm somewhat electronics-ignorant (that's more my dad's department), so I don't have many excuses to go by, but what a place.

-Brian

danlb
03-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Our local RS is shutting down. Clearance sale is in progress, up to 70% off. I got several 6 month old 12v 7ah UPS batteries for $10 each. $30 for a Linksys dual band router, $16 for a 300N router.

I also picked up miscellaneous $5.99 packs of components at 90% off. A packet of 4 coaxial power plugs for 50 cents was just about right. :)

The batteries were just in time because we had an all day power outage while we were out of state. The power was up and down several times and that depleted my UPSes to the point where the older batteries failed. :( Unually not a problem since I have a generator, but It's not autostart.

Dan

Danl
03-19-2017, 06:19 PM
I recall buying Allied Radio items back in the '60's before Tandy merged them into Allied Radio Shack. I always liked Allied Radio better before that switch over.
I don't think I've purchased anything from an actual RS for over 15 years.

Dan L

Leadfootin
03-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Sounds like the closeout prices are about what they should have been selling for anyway. I ran an electronic parts store for quite a few years, fun but ultimately not very profitable.

vpt
03-20-2017, 08:17 AM

I already bought that from radio shack awhile ago when I was soldering new chips into an ECU. It works good but like mentioned if it had a constant suction I think it would work better. I have found it doesn't leave the board perfectly clean. A guy still has to use some braided copper to get all the solder off a board.