PDA

View Full Version : Do split/spring tool holders work well in a shaper?

nc5a
03-05-2017, 02:26 PM
I found this on ebay and got to wondering if a tool holder like this works good in a shaper and if so, why? I've seen lathe tool holders like this before and wondered the same thing. This one however has a key of sorts bridging the gap, possibly to maintain alignment, just guessing here. Any of you guys used this type of tooling before and understand the pros and cons?

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LATHE-PLANER-SHAPER-METAL-TOOL-HOLDER-Atlas-Clausing-Logan-Sheldon-DAM-NICE-/391716886122?hash=item5b3425566a:g:rsMAAOSw3v5YtY3 f

david a
03-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Yes, That's what they were invented for. I've never used one of those, but my understanding is that you adjust the "spring back" according to the material you're cutting by an adjusting device in the gap. Usually some sort of screw adjustable spacer.
When properly adjusted, they are supposed to give a mirror finish.
HTH,
David

Andre3127
03-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Tools like that are used to pull the tool out of the cut slightly and help reduce chatter.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

BCRider
03-13-2017, 10:01 PM
The books I've read show sprung tools like that being used for final finishing cuts that are light cuts only. A heavier cut would strain the flex and either snap the holder or bind it up and then it acts like a solid cutter.