PDA

View Full Version : Tooling ID needed

Rex
03-05-2017, 04:11 PM
I bought a Craftsman metal lathe last week. Among the tooling came 4 of these, each stamped "BT3-328A". I know they don't go with the lathe, but I'd like to know what they DO go to so I can re-home them.

Anyone know what these are?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=990&d=1488747978http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=988&d=1488747976

MTNGUN
03-05-2017, 09:28 PM
I would guess that it's a fixture for holding a workpiece while machining. What kind of workpiece is anyone's guess. Save the screws and the rest is scrap metal.

1-800miner
03-05-2017, 10:42 PM
I looked at it long and hard....dunno.
With only one reply so far I think you got a lot of the group stumped.

J Tiers
03-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Those two pockets look like they take some form of insert. The screws, along with (missing) clamps, could hold the inserts. The whole mess could then bolt into/onto something larger. A turret, a big cutter wheel, or the like.

Toolguy
03-06-2017, 12:10 AM
Looks like some sort of cartridge lathe tooling. Possibly for an octagonal insert. May be for a large boring bar, looks like diameter adjustment. Kennametal and other major players make tooling like this. If boring bar, there are probably multiple ones of these on the end in a radial arrangement. This is only a guess.

Joe Pie
03-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Post a picture of the tool holder block that should be on the compound. My guess is, this is a tool holder without the inserts or clamps. The end screw and inclined surfaces are for height adjustment. This guess would be supported by the slot that is also present.

ikdor
03-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Perhaps it's to hold inserts to resharpen them on a diamond wheel?
Or a special tool to turn + chamfer in one motion.

danlb
03-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Perhaps it's to hold inserts to resharpen them on a diamond wheel?

That sounds like the best suggestion so far. My first thought was that it might be a gang tool or form tool, but it makes no sense that the two pockets use different hold downs techniques. There are also the machined grooves that seem to be designed to hold something.

I can see using it as a jig to sharpen uncoated carbide bits, especially since that looks like an uncoated insert in the second pocket.

Dan

Arcane
03-06-2017, 02:12 PM
What size are they?

Black Forest
03-06-2017, 03:35 PM
That sounds like the best suggestion so far. My first thought was that it might be a gang tool or form tool, but it makes no sense that the two pockets use different hold downs techniques. There are also the machined grooves that seem to be designed to hold something.

I can see using it as a jig to sharpen uncoated carbide bits, especially since that looks like an uncoated insert in the second pocket.

Dan

That looks like an anvil to me not an insert.

adatesman
03-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Paperweight.

Fasttrack
03-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Definitely seems like some kind of cartridge but the fact that there are two pockets and one is an octagon makes me think it might be for a big mill, instead of a boring bar. One insert does the roughing and the other insert acts as a wiper to clean up the surface.

How big are they? I'm having a hard time judging the size... is that a 1/4-20 FSHCS? If it is, those things are pretty huge to be a cartridge...