PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning silicone to weld. FOLLOW-UP

oddball racing
03-06-2017, 10:43 AM
The reservoir welding was a success. Got some wax and silicone remover from auto body shop as suggested. Used to be called pre cleeno 900. It was an old can. Very similar to mineral spirits. Cleaned off surface, but could still see and feel crumbs inside of crack. Hit crack with torch and took advantage of crack opening up under heat. Burned out what was left, cleaned with the solvent and MIG'ed with 308 wire and gold gas. Nice good uninterrupted bead without any pops of fizzles.

Thanks guys, those who suggested solutions were great. Those who jumped the gun and wanted to run and were worried about pressure vessel welding, liability and all that other ninny like crap..........well they didn't read the original post before getting scared and turning away work.

It was just a simple weld to a water reservoir tank. That's all.

Thanks again, ideas of the trust worked like a charm. Mike.

Mike Amick
03-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Cool beans, glad you figured it out.

Just a side note. Its always nice when someone starts a new post about an old post, its curtesy to put a link to
the old post so people know what you are talking about.

Mike Burch
03-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Abusing people who give you advice when you ask them for it is counter-productive, rude, and not at all in the spirit of this forum.
Your original post could have been worded better - as it was, you stated This tank had seen multiple overpressures resulting flexing that caused welded edge seam to fail, which implies that the tank was likely to be over-pressurised again in the future, in which case you would have been a fool to touch it.
It is axiomatic that before repairing anything one should find out why it failed in the first place, and take whatever steps are necessary to prevent it from happening again. Your original post contained no hint of any such action.
Those of us who urged caution are not spouting ninny like crap, but rather were trying to save your arse. You don't have to be grateful for that, of course, but you might at least try and keep your ingratitude to yourself.

danlb
03-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the follow-up. It's nice that you confirmed that the heat worked as predicted, and that the solvent did it's job too.

Dan

J Tiers
03-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Abusing people who give you advice when you ask them for it is counter-productive, rude, and not at all in the spirit of this forum.
Your original post could have been worded better - as it was, you stated This tank had seen multiple overpressures resulting flexing that caused welded edge seam to fail, which implies that the tank was likely to be over-pressurised again in the future, in which case you would have been a fool to touch it.

As the original post mentioned it was a square tank with flat sides, I immediately at the time wondered why folks were obsessing on overpressures and freaking out about pressure vessels. Nobody in their right mind makes a flat sided pressure vessel given any sort of choice, so it really did carry the info.

Now "OVER-pressure" DOES imply a "normal pressure". It could have usefully been pointed out that it only held water, and that "overpressure" was a result of over-filling (not shutting off a valve, perhaps) and not real in-use pressure.

v860rich
03-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Those of us who urged caution are not spouting ninny like crap, but rather were trying to save your arse. You don't have to be grateful for that, of course, but you might at least try and keep your ingratitude to yourself.

This sounds like some more ninny like crap to me!!!!

chipmaker4130
03-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Abusing people who give you advice when you ask them for it . . .

Nope, the problem is you guys dropping all kinds of crap into a thread that did NOT ask for it. Keep your comments to the questions asked and we'll all be happy. If he'd wanted his ass saved, he'd have asked for that.

flylo
03-06-2017, 08:22 PM
There is a trend here & I'm sure all over the net of not answering what is asked but going off on a totally different rant that doesn't address the OPs question at all. I see it here & on gun forums all the time. Someone will ask a specific question & answers start rolling in like "I've never seen one of those but yada yada yada. Or I can't answer your question but yada yada yada. If you can't offer experienced advice specific to the question then how is offering your totally non helpful advice BUT YOUR OPINION going to help? I vote "ninny like crap" also. :p Lets have a "ninny like crap" poll, That will be fun :o

oddball racing
03-06-2017, 08:50 PM
I stand corrected, see your point and apologize.

Mike Burch
03-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Thanks.