PDA

View Full Version : Home Built Aluminum Boat Trailer

HAP
03-08-2017, 08:05 PM
My winter project I posted on a boat forum.
R,
HAP
http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/824891-home-built-aluminum-trailer.html

softtail
03-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Looks great.. like the bending on the press. Welcome to the forum.

chipmaker4130
03-08-2017, 09:29 PM
. . . Welcome to the forum.. . . seven years and 268 posts ago . . .

I like the trailer too!

softtail
03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
. . . seven years and 268 posts ago . . .

I like the trailer too!
Long day......

winchman
03-09-2017, 12:00 AM
I'm impressed. Wow, what a nice job.

I noticed the other aluminum trailer in your shop has the frame rails bent with the flanges on the outside. It seems like that would be easier to do and that it would make it easier to fit up the joints. Why did you bend these the other way?

I assume the welding was done with a spool gun. What brand/model did you use?

I'd like to see some close-ups of the welds. Probably give me something to shoot for the next time I get an aluminum project.

Evan
03-09-2017, 12:32 AM
Excellent work. Aluminum is my favorite material.

Mike Amick
03-09-2017, 01:51 AM
whistle ... bet that alum wasn't cheap.

Really nice job.

HAP
03-09-2017, 04:54 AM
I'm impressed. Wow, what a nice job.

I noticed the other aluminum trailer in your shop has the frame rails bent with the flanges on the outside. It seems like that would be easier to do and that it would make it easier to fit up the joints. Why did you bend these the other way?

I assume the welding was done with a spool gun. What brand/model did you use?

I'd like to see some close-ups of the welds. Probably give me something to shoot for the next time I get an aluminum project.

Winchman, the Float On brand trailer is of the typical AA I beam construction and has the single bend just forward of the axel. I wanted the smooth side look that channel offers. The hardest bends was the re-curve for the coupler attachment. Miller Spool Gun 3035. It does pretty good but gets all squirrely when the wire spool gets down to 1/8 full. Best to just go with a new roll rather than trying to use the rest. That caused some of the welds to look crappy.

R,
HAP

aribert
03-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Pardon my ignorance - what is the function of the pivot at the trailer tongue? Is it only to shorten the trailer tongue when stored?

boslab
03-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Looks factory, well made, I had to repair one a while back, they forgot drain holes so it was fetching the sea home every trip.
Mark

vpt
03-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Very nicely done! I love aluminum as well.

While camping a couple summers ago I saw a shop/home made all stainless trailer. Had to take a few pics. It just looked like allot of money.

http://i.imgur.com/XD3w6eP.jpg

The only thing I would personally worry about on your trailer is the connection for the swing away tongue. If that connection where the pins go threw is also aluminum it may either stress or fatigue crack over time, or wallow out over time till the holes get close to the edge and then crack/break out.

HAP
03-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Pardon my ignorance - what is the function of the pivot at the trailer tongue? Is it only to shorten the trailer tongue when stored?

Yep, it shortens it by 2 feet when folded.

The only thing I would personally worry about on your trailer is the connection for the swing away tongue. If that connection where the pins go threw is also aluminum it may either stress or fatigue crack over time, or wallow out over time till the holes get close to the edge and then crack/break out.

The coupler is a store bought and the whole thing is steel (all 35 lbs). However, considering the same concerns as you, I've incorporated a SS fastener tear out prevention strap on the lower portion where the coupler is attached to the aluminum frames. That's where lots of tension cycles would be occurring. Although it will probably be just fine without it, I wanted to have a safety feature in place.
Thanks for the feedback.
R,
HAP

HAP
03-13-2017, 12:40 PM
vpt

Wow! That thing is awesome! I have had that thought more than once... but cost and weight both kill that idea real quick for me. Although, he did not spend nearly as much as I did on fasteners :)
Thanks for sharing that pic!
R,
HAP