PDA

View Full Version : Freebies for local in need?

Zahnrad Kopf
03-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Cleaning out some idle tool boxes and I have a small pile of HSS, brazed carbide, and lantern style tool holders that I want to get rid of. If there is a hobbyist in need and local to the Milwaukee area I will be happy to give them to you. I will be keeping just a few pieces of brazed and HSS for WEDMing or grinding custom tooling, but the vast bulk is leaving. They will be in boxes, loose. The caveat - you have to take it all. I am not splitting it up or letting people cherry pick. What you do with the pile is up to you after that. If no response in few days, I will list it on other forums and CL.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o736/Zahnrad_Kopf/freebies/F6C3FDC1-B1A0-4969-B530-5C7F77A81A98_zpsqc40qsoy.jpg

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o736/Zahnrad_Kopf/freebies/95FDF53B-3E0D-44ED-B3B1-488F8D77C87C_zpsitu8gz6s.jpg

MattiJ
03-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Checking flight tickets to Milwaukee.. :D

Mcgyver
03-10-2017, 01:09 PM
that's good of you....hopefully some newbie can get there before flylo :D

flylo
03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
We have a new Maker Space in Kazoo I haven't even joined yet & was to offer to pay shipping to them. But Mcgyver need it more than they do. Mcgyver what have you offered for free?:rolleyes
Oh I know, all that wonderful advice & sarcasm, priceless:cool:

mikem
03-10-2017, 01:35 PM
That looks like hundred's of dollars of stuff! Probably more than any one guy would need.......eBay!

boslab
03-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Zahnrad, very kind of you (same name as my brother in law) and Flylos posting offer, maker spaces seem a wonderful idea.
Mark

Zahnrad Kopf
03-10-2017, 04:06 PM
First box is full. 9" x 9" x 4.5" filled with HSS, Brazed Carbides, Lantern holders of two sizes and various styles, and I even threw in a number of inserted holders. ( probably 10- 15 of them. maybe more ) ( 1/2" and 5/8" shank ) Going to go clean out all the excess HSS end mills as well. That will likely be whole other box in itself. FEMs and BEMs.

Bueller...? Bueller...? Bueller...?

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o736/Zahnrad_Kopf/freebies/C0509C9A-51B7-4AE6-874F-2A8CA7732D15_zpsz8yjw9sc.jpg

Zahnrad Kopf
03-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Could probably be talked into giving a Snow tapping head ( cap 0 - 1/4" ) to same person, too... It's the great 5S egress of 2017...

Dan Dubeau
03-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Too far for me, or I would have been on it already. I hope somebody takes you up on this great offer.

mattthemuppet
03-10-2017, 07:55 PM
man, I wish I was closer, but even then I wouldn't have conscionably been able to take it all as I've no need for that much tooling. In the very unlikely event that no one closer claims it, I'd be happy to pay postage on any mill tooling you want to get rid of. Probably more hassle than it's worth for you, but an option nonetheless! thanks!

flylo
03-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Offer stands in spite of the smart *ss remark & I haven't been to the new shop but they are lacking the most on metalworking machine so I plan to donate some spare machines & you can ship directly to them so no one accuses me of using or selling. Reginal priority flat weight large boxes are the cheapest way if you decide & I'll just pay shipping to Kazoo.

Joe Rogers
03-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Zahnrad, good on ya to pay it forward. Good choice on the venue also. On PM it would have generated some odd responses I bet.
Best,
Joe

d kirby
03-11-2017, 12:32 PM
A very kind and thoughtful gesture Zahnrad!!

Dave

Gary Paine
03-11-2017, 02:10 PM
A very kind and thoughtful gesture Zahnrad!!

Dave
+1
Very generous indeed.

Alistair Hosie
03-11-2017, 05:23 PM
What a beautiful human gesture. Even if you can't use them yourself to do what your doing is something very special almost spiritual in nature. I don't quite understand what is happening at this moment. I need to read it more carefully have they gone yet. Don't misunderstand m I wouldn't take them myself even if I lived nearby. which I definitely do not LOL .Simply I don't need them and for me to take any would be just greed, I do hope they go to a good home or even a club . Keep on running brother. Alistair

Zahnrad Kopf
03-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Tentative contact made by someone nearby. Has reached out to me and I've replied that they can stop by tomorrow. Will post if they do not find their way and tools are still available.

mattthemuppet
03-12-2017, 01:00 PM
That'll be a great start for someone, good for you!

Zahnrad Kopf
03-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Plans have been made for a member to come grab a large portion of what is available. They are somewhat okay on some of the stuff I am getting rid of, so once they have taken what they -can- use, I will post what it left for another member to consider obtaining. As an example, I have a number of R8 collets that appear to be of Sylvilagus origin, because they have seemingly bred like fsking rabbits. They need to leave before they make more. Likewise with some drill chucks of numerous sizes and shanks. I will post what is available after the first person departs. Should be Wednesday or Thursday evening.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o736/Zahnrad_Kopf/freebies/073201BC-6B20-40F9-8005-B2BC585BD979_zpsrohbrs6m.jpg

BCRider
03-13-2017, 05:28 PM
It seems odd that it's so hard to even give this stuff away. But it's surprising how difficult it can be to find a bonafide beginner and not some opportunist that will just sell them and pocket the money. So KUDOS to you!!

Zahnrad Kopf
03-13-2017, 05:36 PM
I don't know about the kudos, but I admit some surprise that any of it is still here, to be honest. I really expected an onslaught of response and while it it perfectly fine by me how easy going the effort is turning out to be, it is several orders of magnitude less than I expected. ( !!! )

boslab
03-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Perhaps a reflection on what the clever educators have done to society, not many except us old farts did shop as you call it over yonder, they so no value but would kill you for your sneakers or phone, we're not going to hell, were already there I think.
Still a nice gesture, well done.
I think the government need to open training machine shops, electrical shops, electronic, aeronautical shops and so on, we got enough accountants, dental hygienists, and hairdressers.
There are more tatoo parlours in the local town than machine shops!
And they can't even draw
Mark

BCRider
03-13-2017, 07:30 PM
If you get around to being willing to ship the stuff in return for costs for the shipping charges there's a fellow near me that has a small Southbend in storage pending building a shop to put it in. I know for a fact that he has almost nothing for tooling of this sort for his lathe and would gladly pay the shipping cost. He was quite proud that it came with the four or five tool holders to fit the lantern post. So you know he doesn't know yet how far he has to go....:)

That's if the local options don't work out.

boslab
03-13-2017, 07:44 PM
If you get around to being willing to ship the stuff in return for costs for the shipping charges there's a fellow near me that has a small Southbend in storage pending building a shop to put it in. I know for a fact that he has almost nothing for tooling of this sort for his lathe and would gladly pay the shipping cost. He was quite proud that it came with the four or five tool holders to fit the lantern post. So you know he doesn't know yet how far he has to go....:)

That's if the local options don't work out.
Sounds like he could do with a shove in the right direction, I get a feeling we're such a minority we all have to help each other out, (Blackforest kindly sent me a face mill and parting tool, I was completely humbled, never happened before, such a kind gesture)
Mark

Alistair Hosie
03-13-2017, 07:58 PM
I know it is not for me to tell you what to do with your own stuff brother but are you absolutely sure you won't regret this at a later date? I just wonder if you should wait a while and make absolutely sure you will not regret this. I definitely mean what I am saying just to be kindly not to be big brother or anything. I have as we all have given stuff away and even thrown things out and sorely regretted it later, sometimes having to go and buy the same things later when I was in a different mood. I mean I would say nothing but you are very obviously a very kind and decent man, and I for one and many others here would hate to see you regret this in the future,
It wouldn't be so bad but these are all very expensive items and I worry a bit about what your doing.
I have an elderly friend who does not have much money, and every so often I buy him some nice things and give them to him. I was horrified to find he had joined a club and donated all of the stuff including a lot of his own machinery to them without telling me Then the dirty b's at the club got all they could and said they thought he was too old and a risk to himself etc asked him to leave. He was heartbroken for months after that. WOW I was almightily peed off when I heard.anyway
God Bless and I wish you well and hope everything turns out ok in the long term. Your actions have had a very good affect on me for one. Take care pal Alistair

Zahnrad Kopf
03-13-2017, 08:17 PM
I appreciate the thought, Alistair. Sincerely. But rest assured, I am sure. I have been "collecting" this stuff for nigh on 30+ years now. I started young in the trade and would squirrel things away even when I could not use them immediately because I knew that some day I would be able to use them or have need. Even though I worked in the trade, I still always did this for a hobby, as well. At some point, I went out on my own because "side jobs" became over-demanding and I was losing money by going to work. So I became my own slave. Now, years later I still have my shop, but it is crowded. Very crowded. Because I never broke the habit of "saving today, what I might ( or might not ) use tomorrow. Every so oft I clean out, but even that has not been enough.

So, I eventually took up a rule that if I had not touched something for Three years, it was time for it to leave. Then it became Two years. Then it became One year.

Now it has become the Great 5S Egress of 2017. There's a mill, a lathe, a surface grinder, cylindrical grinder, Gear Hob, Shaper, machining center, turning center, Wire EDM and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... A few Kennedy rollers, more single boxes, shelves packed, and the loft is full. Even the Quincy compressor and vessels are up there. I need the room back.

And I need it back yesterday.

Everything I am giving to someone that needs it, is something I have numerous ones of. If I need another widget after I give it away, I will charge the customer for it. Period.

I am not the saint you all think. I am not some benevolent soul. I am being selfish. I want me sanity back.

Of course, pausing to consider that, shopkeep ain't the brightest avenue to that end...

BCRider
03-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Often times the very best path to neatness and room to work is to let go of the stuff we tend to hoard. So I read your last post and nodded in agreement and full understanding the whole way through it. Often we are simply our own well intentioned but worst enemy.

Zahnrad Kopf
03-16-2017, 11:56 AM
A forum member has retrieved most of what I had posted. Also filled a box with end mills. Several were brand new in the packaging. ( must have given him 10 or so new 19mm solid carbide BEMs ) I am still cleaning as time permits and aggravation demands, so there will be more.

At the moment, I have numerous R8 collets and sidelocks available, the Snow tapping head ( I forgot to make him take it ), a rotating base for a vise ( I believe it is a Bridgeport base but cannot be sure ), and a large grinding wheel balancer ( about 24" - 26" tall, with 6" diameter wheels ).

Oh, and have some 6" - 9" face mills that would be PERFECT for someone with a proper Hori. Some originally came from a K&T 50 Taper Uni. ( I really should have kept that machine and dumped the Bridgeport ) < youth >

All are free to a member that will make use of them.

Alistair Hosie
03-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Ok Gear head you know best I still say you are the DADDY simply the best. I am proud to say I know your name. Sometimes in life we get so tied up with others fleecing us everyday almost from the top down. I said before my heart was broken with my own family even my mother all trying to grab what they could cheating me behind my back and talking about my wife Bron still in the past although I was cynical for a few years back then. I started to figure everyone was just born greedy, to the point of having absolutely no conscience or morals when it came to money grubbing. I was so wrong there are lots of great people out there and you brother are surely one Wish I could shake your hand .You make me feel quite humbled when I remember what I used to think about many of the human race. Boy was I wrong most people have or actually we all have the ability we just have to be careful along the way. I always (no reflection on you brother) witnessed that those who were the poorest had the biggest hearts. What a great world. Alistair

Zahnrad Kopf
03-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Now there is a sheet metal type ( smaller than box store style ) lock together rack/shelving thingamabob/doohickey available. Also ( and I have NO idea how this got here ) an import type bead roller. Has all the dies and crank with it. Also one of the inexpensive parts washers. I would like this stuff to leave immediately, if not sooner. If no response in a day, I'll put it all out in the alley for the scrapers, which would be a shame as it's very usable kit. :)

boslab
03-16-2017, 07:47 PM
What's the matter with you lot, hire a truck and go visit, at least it will go to a good cause, I suppose there's always the free on Craigslist
I understand seeking sanity, I warn you it is an elusive beast, just when you think you have it the cage gets filled with a different kind of mad.
Mark

Zahnrad Kopf
03-17-2017, 01:57 PM
They're going in the alley now. If you want them, email me and I will tell you where to look.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o736/Zahnrad_Kopf/freebies/0D5B2EE9-380C-410D-8D9E-2F8DE5C6312D_zpsuuo4hov7.jpg[m

dave_r
03-17-2017, 02:33 PM
If those overalls have a 38" inseam, I'll be there to pick them up.

Zahnrad Kopf
03-17-2017, 02:36 PM
If those overalls have a 38" inseam, I'll be there to pick them up.

Apron. Not overalls. Have a couple though. Want one? Stop by.

dave_r
03-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Apron. Not overalls. Have a couple though. Want one? Stop by.

Would be cheaper to have a bunch custom tailored just for me vs any mode of transportation for me to "drop by"...but you may want to be more specific about what will be in the alley for the next person...

Zahnrad Kopf
03-17-2017, 03:06 PM
...but you may want to be more specific about what will be in the alley for the next person...

Not really. More effort than I care to expend, having expended as much as I have, already. Someone wants something for free? Then they can spend the effort to sort through it, in my estimation. :)

Zahnrad Kopf
03-17-2017, 04:00 PM
R8 stuff, bead roller, and parts washer are leaving. Likely more, but the rack/shelving is still available.

dave_r
03-18-2017, 05:41 AM
You never know...you may get someone pounding on your door wondering why the fuse box is still inside.

Zahnrad Kopf
03-21-2017, 12:08 PM
All freebies have been claimed. Thank you all for the responses. I am enjoying the reclamation of a small amount of my sanity. There will be more soon. I will post what ( and when ) there is.