PDA

View Full Version : Cheap/Free Hub & Rotor Case

HAP
03-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Posted this is a boat forum. Thought I would share here.

R,
HAP
http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/827253-cheap-free-hub-rotor-case.html#post10059276

winchman
03-11-2017, 02:26 PM
It's a great idea, but since I don't have a boat, or a trailer, or a spare hub and brake assembly......

HAP
03-11-2017, 02:33 PM
It's a great idea, but since I don't have a boat, or a trailer, or a spare hub and brake assembly......

Well you need to get those things so you can make a case... Lol

paul463
03-11-2017, 02:34 PM
I've had thoughts of making a spare tire carrier for one of my trailers that sports a spare spindle, hub, brake, and tire wheel assembly all in one.
We get a few out of town trailers (vacationers) in the shop every summer with a burned up spindle and they usually end up waiting a day or so for parts to come in. If they had everything with them they'd be back on the road pretty quickly.

HAP
03-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Precisely what I would like to avoid...

Willy
03-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Nice idea and a good tough case to put everything you may need into.

Just wondering if it's really a necessity to have all of it with you all the time. Having had boats and of course trailers for many years and never having had any issues I have to ask. I do realize that some do have issues but to me at least it always seemed that these folks had other mechanical issues as well.
I've always been very fussy with boat trailer bearing and seal service and judging from the photos left with this post and the other one on your trailer build I think you're fussy too. So I have to ask if you have had the need to do a roadside bearing and hub change in the past to warrant carrying a spare?
You know of course that being fully prepared for a disaster will probably prevent the occurrence of said disaster. So maybe this is the method to your madness.:)

Arcane
03-11-2017, 03:25 PM
It's only a small investment in time and money to have this all made up beforehand and it's a great way to have it stored and available when and where you need it. People that go to these lengths are more often than not those people who do preventative maintenance.

HAP
03-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Well, I have never had any sort of problem, yet... I have owned boats all my life. We are beginning to visit and explore more places with a boat club, and I feel if you don't have the most common (generic) of equipment, one may face some challenges while on the road. So, I feel better about having the stuff I know I might need.