X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herb Helbig
    • Jul 2002

Glassy Steel

Here's a quote from the August issue of Physics Today that may be of interest.

Amorphous steel for structural applications has been fabricated at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Some amorphous iron-based alloys were made previously, but their cross sections were limited to about 4 mm. Adding a small amount of yttrium, which frustrates the onset of crystallization as the liquid metal solidifies, allows the new alloys to be cast, using commercial techniques, in 12-mm-diameter rods. The new glassy steel is more than twice as hard as the best ultra-high-strength conventional steel, and yet is less dense.

------------------
  • SJorgensen
    • Nov 2002

Some of these properties were only hoped of in mixing glass and metals and plastics and ceramics in a weightless environment.
    Who knows what properties could be achieved!

Comment

• Forrest Addy
      • Oct 2002

Who knows where these developments may lead. Better lighter stuff - or cell phone stick-on that makes it act like it has an 8 ft antenna.

Comment

• Evan
        • May 2003

Herb,

Did they give any quantitative information on the real properties of the metal, actual hardness, tensile strength, toughness etc?
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Rustybolt
          • Jul 2002

Also called vitreous metal. It's already being used for medical and dental implants. And jet engine and rocket engine applications.It has no grain structure unlike steel and is very tolerant to heat-no warpage.

Comment

• ibewgypsie
            • Dec 2002

TVA put up power transmission towers out of a steel that needed no coating. IT rusted but did not rust deep. They left it uncoated and it should last forever.

Question, what is it? ()

David

Comment

• Evan
              • May 2003

David,

It's called Weathering Grade Steel.

See here:

and here

Material property database with data sheets of thermoplastic and thermoset polymers such as nylon, polycarbonate, polyethylene; metal alloys, aluminum, steel, titanium, nickel, cobalt, and zinc alloys; ceramics, lubricants. Free search tools include mechanical property searches. Comparison and exports to Finite Element Analysis FEA software SolidWorks, ANSYS, ALGOR, and more.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-05-2004).]

Comment

• J Tiers
                • Jan 2004

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
                TVA put up power transmission towers out of a steel that needed no coating. IT rusted but did not rust deep. They left it uncoated and it should last forever.

Question, what is it? ()

David
                </font>
                One is trade-named "Cor-10".

Some at least are copper bearing steels. Someone found old barb wire and noticed it hadn't rusted out. it had quite a coppe content.

The rust forms but does not flake off.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• John Stevenson
                  • Mar 2001

Nothing new,
                  I found a piece of this in the scrap a while ago, bent 6 drills, broke 5 taps and blunted the plasma cutter.
                  After a long struggle I managed to carve a lump out with a diamond wheel.
                  Used the rest to make a set of dentures for Gert's mother. [ Bless her jack boots ]

------------------
                  John S.
                  Nottingham, England

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Evan
                    • May 2003

John,

"bent 6 drills, broke 5 taps"

Sounds like someone who complains they lost $6.00 in the coffee vending machine. So, how long does it take to figure out it isn't working?

Comment

• John Stevenson
                      • Mar 2001

Carefull, it was only $5.00

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• wierdscience
                        • Jan 2003

Personally I only quit banging my head into the wall because it feels good when I quit
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Herb Helbig
                          • Jul 2002

Evan -

The news brief about amorphous steel gave no quantitative mechanical data. It stated that the material was ferromagnetic at cryogenic temperatures and paramagnetic at room temperature. The reference is
                          Z. P. Lu et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 245503, 2004.

A Google search on "Z. P. Lu" shows that he has done a bunch of research in this area, but I didn't find a personal web site where he might brag publicly about his results. You have to pay to see his journal articles on line unless you are a subscriber. A tech library would be the freebie way to go. I'll bet there are patent applications underway.

I had a small hand in some glassy metal (we called it metglass) research about 10 years ago. I helped the late Sigurds Arajs construct a heavy copper wheel which was spun at high RPM as molten metal was dropped on it. The metal flew off the wheel as a ribbon that had not had time to crystallize. I think he was mainly interested in its magnetic properties.

------------------

Comment

• darryl
                            • Jan 2003

Metal strip made that way has been used in transformer cores.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• CCWKen
                              • Jan 2003

"...and blunted the plasma cutter."

ROFLMAO

Comment

Working...
                              X