PDA

View Full Version : brass or bronze

plunger
03-13-2017, 12:00 PM
I tried to help my BIL fix his reel .Spares are obsolete. The driveshaft has worn and the threads were damaged on the shaft and nut that holds the crank handle on.
I machined the shaft out of brass and had to make a new nut as well. This entailed making a tap as well as this is a 8x0.75 mm thread of which i have had to single point turn.
My question is will brass stand up to the task.? I only thought about this after having spent hours making it. I wonder if the original is p bronze and how much more durable is PB over brass.
How do you tell the difference in a homeshop environment?:
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/eugeneeman/IMG_1060_zpsn9v6unc4.jpg (http://s941.photobucket.com/user/eugeneeman/media/IMG_1060_zpsn9v6unc4.jpg.html)

bob_s
03-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Salt water?

Phosphor bronze or admiralty brass.

Toolguy
03-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Bronze will wear a lot longer than most brass. Visually brass is more of a bright gold color, bronze is more of a brownish gold. Aluminum Bearing Bronze is brownish gold with silver tiger stripes.

JoeLee
03-13-2017, 12:40 PM
On a fishing reel...........I think your arm would wear out long before that brass part you made wears.

Trying to tell the difference between some materials can be guessing game, especially when there are several types of brass and bronze and they become well tarnished, weathered or oxidized and even when not. If you clean and shine them up it's sometimes still hard to tell. Identification by looks is sometimes easier when the piece is left to naturally tarnish, like from sitting around on a shelf, not out in the weather.
I usually combine a visual inspection with a file test or sometimes even drilling. That can tell you how hard a material is as well as it's machining characteristics. But you would have to know what the machining characteristics of the material in question would be.

JL.................

Euph0ny
03-13-2017, 12:42 PM
If the reel is to be used in or on salt water, use bronze, as brass is more susceptible to corrosion by salt.

ahidley
03-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Put a good grease on it and it'll last quite a while

RichR
03-13-2017, 12:55 PM
You've already invested the time and material in making a new part, so you might as well install and use it. If it wears out, make the next one
out of bronze.

BCRider
03-13-2017, 04:45 PM
..... or high chromium stainless.....

I'm guessing that the original broke from an accidental impact with something. I can't see any loads it would be put to while fishing causing the problem. So as long as he doesn't have another accident with it the brass one, suitably greased lightly, should last for longer than either of you need to worry about it.

plunger
03-13-2017, 05:30 PM
..... or high chromium stainless.....

I'm guessing that the original broke from an accidental impact with something. I can't see any loads it would be put to while fishing causing the problem. So as long as he doesn't have another accident with it the brass one, suitably greased lightly, should last for longer than either of you need to worry about it.

I hope you are right. These reels take a beating as we kayak fish in the sea. We usually take a tumble or two as we launch through quite big waves at times. We also have a shark problem so these reels do alot of cranking:p

Daminer
03-13-2017, 05:55 PM
"We also have a shark problem so these reels do alot of cranking"

Sharks + kayaks!!!! Ya gots mo" cajones than me!!

Jim

BCRider
03-13-2017, 07:07 PM
I hope you are right. These reels take a beating as we kayak fish in the sea. We usually take a tumble or two as we launch through quite big waves at times. We also have a shark problem so these reels do alot of cranking:p

BCRider steps back with hands palm out mumbling "whooooooooo aaaaaaaa.........." Yeah, bigger ones than I've got too.... And I used to wind surf at the Columbia Gorge in winds that made it dangerous to simply walk around.

boslab
03-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Bronze would have been a little better I think but it's swings and roundabouts, either way you've done a fine job.
BC points out stainless, I'd guess that would be best, some machine nice. It's fixed anyway, probably good for a decade or two
Mark

BCRider
03-13-2017, 07:23 PM
..... probably good for a decade or two

Or one wild and crazy shark ride...... :D

plunger
03-14-2017, 05:25 AM
Most sharks are just a pain in the arse. I doubt they will attack us.But in the Cape you get big Great whites. We get tigers and bull sharks and seldom a white. Most are black tips. Its hard to get a fish out cause they eat everything you catch.
Heres a vid of one of my clients son to give you an idea of the kayaks and sharks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NuD8vc97Rw

Abner
03-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Suddenly what type of metal you are making the part out of seems like a non issue.

"We need a bigger boat....."

BCRider
03-14-2017, 02:21 PM
I saw quite a few black tip sharks when I dove in Raratonga. They tend to be about the same size as the full grown dogfish we have here on the west coast. The local ocean fishers hate the dogfish. But they only ever see the ones up to around 3 feet long. The full grown ones I saw a few times while scuba diving were up between 6 and 7 feet with the odd 8 footer not being all that uncommon. While sharks of that size COULD do some serious damage if they bit into a person they tended to stay well away from the big funny looking "fish" that smelled like neoprene and kept burping lots of bubbles. A diver would need to corner that size of shark and leave them with no other option but to attack. They are actually really timid in normal contact.

But I'd sure want to be careful reaching over the side of a small craft like a kayak to bring a fish on board. The shark may not try to bite the boat or even the person if they were in the water. But they may not know where the fish on the hook they want to grab ends and the fisherman's hand begins ! ! ! !

plunger
03-14-2017, 06:10 PM
I saw quite a few black tip sharks when I dove in Raratonga. They tend to be about the same size as the full grown dogfish we have here on the west coast. The local ocean fishers hate the dogfish. But they only ever see the ones up to around 3 feet long. The full grown ones I saw a few times while scuba diving were up between 6 and 7 feet with the odd 8 footer not being all that uncommon. While sharks of that size COULD do some serious damage if they bit into a person they tended to stay well away from the big funny looking "fish" that smelled like neoprene and kept burping lots of bubbles. A diver would need to corner that size of shark and leave them with no other option but to attack. They are actually really timid in normal contact.

But I'd sure want to be careful reaching over the side of a small craft like a kayak to bring a fish on board. The shark may not try to bite the boat or even the person if they were in the water. But they may not know where the fish on the hook they want to grab ends and the fisherman's hand begins ! ! ! !

Ive been harassed by a massive tiger shark where I had to smack it on the head twice with my paddle. It made me realize that if he wants you he is going to easily get you.I dont know of any cases where there is a fatality from a shark attack on a kayak. Attacks yes. This happened on my favourite fishing grounds. Poor guy lost all of his rods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx77BARkV0

Lee Cordochorea
03-15-2017, 12:45 AM
https://books.google.com/books?id=OigDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=92&f=false

...page 92

BCRider
03-15-2017, 02:14 AM
Ive been harassed by a massive tiger shark where I had to smack it on the head twice with my paddle. It made me realize that if he wants you he is going to easily get you.I dont know of any cases where there is a fatality from a shark attack on a kayak. Attacks yes. This happened on my favourite fishing grounds. Poor guy lost all of his rods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx77BARkV0

I can see that, the shark is chasing what seems like a wounded fish and the kayak just happened to get in the way. I've been taken out on two feet by a pit bull chasing its ball too. It was not at all ill intentioned. Just it's hard to change direction when you're a seriously focused 80 lb pit bull going full tilt boogee after a ball and one of your human buddies gets in the way. Not saying the shark considered the kayak a "buddy" but it WAS in the way.

I'm sort of guessing from his reaction that he didn't really mind the rods being gone and the idea that he was done for the day....