PDA

View Full Version : Broken drill save.

DICKEYBIRD
03-13-2017, 01:40 PM
A #6 drill snapped off yesterday as it broke through the 3/4" steel table top & caught the edge of the cross-brace underneath it. Knew it should have had a stop collar on it!

Anyway the method used to extract the piece actually worked so it's worth a picture & a post. Who knows, it might work for someone else down the road.

It was broken off flush with the surface. 2 pieces of 1/16" music wire were tapped down as far as they would go into the gullets between the flutes. The wire ends were clamped in a large Vise-Grip & a firm CCW twist applied. The table was whacked right next to it with a brass hammer & voila! The drill instantly turned & almost jumped out of the hole. Who'd a thunk a crazy idea actually works as planned sometimes!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/Broken%20Drill_zps0ddnhvnw.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/DBAviation/media/Broken%20Drill_zps0ddnhvnw.jpg.html)

Mcgyver
03-13-2017, 01:47 PM
nice extraction. I'm think you you must be at a different place on the crap collection curve to want to save busted drill fragments, buy hey, its your cubic inches of space :)

Highpower
03-13-2017, 01:48 PM
I like it!

DICKEYBIRD
03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
nice extraction. I'm think you you must be at a different place on the crap collection curve to want to save busted drill fragments, buy hey, its your cubic inches of space :)
Shoot, you never know when a broken drill might come in handy. I'm so tight I take my glasses off when I'm not looking at anything!;)

Dave C
03-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Shoot, you never know when a broken drill might come in handy. I'm so tight I take my glasses off when I'm not looking at anything!;)

I can relate :p

Mcgyver
03-13-2017, 02:48 PM

lol

boslab
03-13-2017, 04:46 PM
I must be mean, I'd resharpen any broken drill, sometimes the web needs thinning on thick drills, but they do work as spotting drills, I'm getting better at free handing again, lost it when I had access to the old brierly drill sharpener in work, brilliant machine but you get to rely on the thing and loose the ability to sharpen drills, one of the most used things I ever learned in school, the teacher gave us all a 3/8 drill, we had to regrind it every week till we ran out of drill, then you got another one!
Why don't they teach metalwork anymore?, it's crazy, or woodwork.
It was my favourite lesson.
Mark

J Tiers
03-13-2017, 04:46 PM
I read it that the "save" was the drill got pulled out of where there should be a hole, not that the drill was inherently valuable......

The emoticons suggest that is where most of the odd replies are with it, but you never know.......

Mcgyver
03-13-2017, 05:43 PM
I read it that the "save" was the drill got pulled out of where there should be a hole, not that the drill was inherently valuable.....

yup

DICKEYBIRD
03-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Yup, Mr. Hindsight is yelling in my ear: "Why didn't you name this thread 'Broken drill removal'."

6PTsocket
03-13-2017, 07:30 PM
A #6 drill snapped off yesterday as it broke through the 3/4" steel table top & caught the edge of the cross-brace underneath it. Knew it should have had a stop collar on it!

Anyway the method used to extract the piece actually worked so it's worth a picture & a post. Who knows, it might work for someone else down the road.

It was broken off flush with the surface. 2 pieces of 1/16" music wire were tapped down as far as they would go into the gullets between the flutes. The wire ends were clamped in a large Vise-Grip & a firm CCW twist applied. The table was whacked right next to it with a brass hammer & voila! The drill instantly turned & almost jumped out of the hole. Who'd a thunk a crazy idea actually works as planned sometimes!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/Broken%20Drill_zps0ddnhvnw.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/DBAviation/media/Broken%20Drill_zps0ddnhvnw.jpg.html)
What you are describing is the same as a broken tap extractor . The wires for 2 or 3 flutes are built into a handle and extend into the flutes as far as possible and unscrew the broken stub. You did it freestyle with 2 wires and a vise grip.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DICKEYBIRD
03-13-2017, 07:49 PM
You did it freestyle with 2 wires and a vise grip.Don't forget the hammer. Everything works better with a hammer.:)

Puckdropper
03-13-2017, 10:36 PM

I'm wondering... Why not slide a sleeve over the broken part of the bit and solder/weld the bit back together? It needed a stop collar anyway, right? (-:

Hey DICKEYBIRD, good tip! I'll add it to the list for when this inevitably happens to me.

MTNGUN
03-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, was the broken drill Asian or Made in USA?

J Tiers
03-13-2017, 11:12 PM
What you are describing is the same as a broken tap extractor . ......

Naw, there is a HUGE difference between them.......

The difference is that THIS approach WORKED. I do not recall EVER having a tap extractor work. But I have the busted remains of several extractors to show for trying.

dave_r
03-14-2017, 02:17 AM

The difference is that THIS approach WORKED. I do not recall EVER having a tap extractor work. But I have the busted remains of several extractors to show for trying.

You probably didn't use the hammer!

Dan Dubeau
03-14-2017, 08:05 AM
I've successfully used that method removing broken 6-32 taps about 25% of the time before. Nice that it worked for you right off the bat. Drills dont usually get as "stuck" as taps though.

DICKEYBIRD
03-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, was the broken drill Asian or Made in USA?It was one of a Triumph Twist Drill screw machine length set, 4 facet - 135 degree. Triumph is a division of Minnesota Twist Drill; an American co....who knows where they were actually made but damned good drills! Only reason this one broke is my own laziness. I hate it because there's no telling how many of them I'll have to buy to replace it.

Great idea P/D; and one I'm not afraid to try on a weekend with a replacement unavailable.

6PTsocket
03-14-2017, 02:03 PM

Good point, me either, but the principal is the same. Stick wires in the flutes and twist

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DICKEYBIRD
03-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Of course, there was some luck involved. The drill snapped off from a jam with the brace just below the end of the hole, the 1/16 music wire is tough but not too brittle, the #6 drill gullets were just about a perfect fit for the wire, the drill had been copiously oiled all the way down and the burr that snapped it off wasn't too nasty. The rap from the hammer jarred the drill upwards enough to release it from the jam & let the wires do their thing.

Next time I probably won't be so lucky.:(

Wirecutter
03-16-2017, 11:45 AM

I did something very similar a couple of weeks ago, but with a busted 4-40 tap. When it came loose, I laughed out loud. I felt like I should have gone out and bought lottery tickets. Great save!
-M

Paul Alciatore
03-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Tough audience here!

DICKEYBIRD
03-16-2017, 04:17 PM
Tough audience here!

Naah, that was just Michael takin' the pi$$. All in in good fun.;)

Mcgyver
03-16-2017, 05:56 PM

I was going to ask that you send half the drill to me and share the wealth, but I couldn't afford the postage

reggie_obe
03-16-2017, 06:36 PM

I was going to ask that you send half the drill to me and share the wealth, but I couldn't afford the postage.

Don't forget to the mark the item as "gift" on the customs forms. We don't you paying import duty on top of postage.