PDA

View Full Version : OT how do i record a tv show?

ahidley
03-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Since there is so much knowledge here I'm hopeing for a good answer.
I have ota tv. I want to record a news show everyday when I'm not home. How do I do it for free without a subscription?
What do I need to purchase?
My tvs are hd digital.
I don't want to use my internet connection or pc. I don't leave the pc on continuously.
Basically I need an old vcr. Which I have but they don't work anymore.

BCRider
03-13-2017, 07:03 PM
Pick a PVR and look up the owner's manual before you buy and check for suitability on hooking up to an antenna as opposed to cable or internet. If it has connections and instructions for OTA broadcast TV then you know that is one which you can use. After that it's just learning the steps to get it to record what you want and when.

Alternately if you can go to a big box store to buy what you are after then just snag one of the sales folks and put the task on them to provide you with options for PVR's that will handle OTA broadcasts.

The PVR I was supplied by my carrier is very specific to their service and has no other input options. So I can't suggest it. It's a few years old anyway so you likely can't buy that model any longer anyhow.

Weston Bye
03-13-2017, 07:07 PM
In the past it was routine to use a VCR with it's own tuner connected directly to the antenna cable. The TV would be connected to an RF output and tuned to channel 3 or 4. Most VCRs had built-in programmable timers for recording at desired times, and days.

Don't know what the solid-state equivalent is nowadays as I still have a couple of VCRs.

BCRider
03-13-2017, 07:39 PM
That would be the PVR's (Personal Video Recorders). There's a hard drive in most of them that stores the information. Most hold about 12 to 18 hours of programming before you need to delete something.... well, that's what it used to be. Likely more like a few hundred hours now.

There are also DVR's or Digital Video Recorders. That used to mean that you cut the video to a blank recordable DVD. But often the recorder has a built in hard drive to capture the shows with an option of cutting it to a blank DVD.

boslab
03-13-2017, 07:48 PM
I bought a CIA special, aka Samsung tv, it records onto usb sticks, however I bought a second one in case they wanted to listen in the bedroom but found sticks recorded downstairs won't play on the other tv, arse, tucked up (in bed) by technology again.
Mark

lakeside53
03-13-2017, 08:24 PM
TiVo records OTA... buy one, watch what you want when you want, and never see an Ad again.

danlb
03-13-2017, 09:56 PM
Does the OTA tivo require a subscription like the other models do?

An alternative for this specific use (one channel once a day) IS to use an old style VCR with a digital converter. The converter is widely available from places like Best Buy. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tv-video-accessories/digital-tv-tuners-converters/abcat0104000.c?id=abcat0104000 )

For about $200 you can get a dual tuner digital recorder (same link at Best Buy) that will record OTA signals.

Dan

tincture500
03-13-2017, 09:56 PM

Puckdropper
03-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Since there is so much knowledge here I'm hopeing for a good answer.
I have ota tv. I want to record a news show everyday when I'm not home. How do I do it for free without a subscription?
What do I need to purchase?
My tvs are hd digital.
I don't want to use my internet connection or pc. I don't leave the pc on continuously.
Basically I need an old vcr. Which I have but they don't work anymore.

You might be able to use your PC and not lose your PC. There was a Windows-based DVR program called GB-PVR I used for a while that I recall let me use the computer while it was recording. I think maybe the Hauppauge software included another form of that. I went with the dedicated box several years ago and have never regretted it!

If you have an old VCR, your tuner probably won't work. They have just the standard tuner and not a digital one. You'll need a converter box and as long as you're recording the same channel it'll probably work fine. If you want to record multiple channels, things get harder. Basically, you have to program the converter box to change channels at certain times and not all of them do it. I have a couple of the ones that do, and a VCR/DVR/DVD Writer that's been sitting on the shelf for a couple years.

You may not need to purchase anything yet, I'd rather see equipment I'm not using go to someone who wants it rather than watch it rot on a shelf. Maybe we could work out a trade.

The superior solution is a Hauppague WinTV-HVR-2200 card (you can use other cards, but it's important that the card does MPEG encoding on the card and doesn't offload to your CPU) and dedicated PC running MythTV with Internet access and Schedules Direct subscription* This will give you the ability to tune automatically to any OTA channel, record whatever you want to watch, automatically schedule according to your priorities and reschedule to avoid conflicts. It also checks all of your "do not want" boxes. The clock sets automatically as well, so time change or clock drift isn't a big deal. Once set up, it's pretty much a "just enjoy it" deal. (We're also talking $100-300 investment, plus $25 annually.)

*This is for the program guide data, the EPG data your TV gets from the station usually only tells what's on now.

MikeL46
03-13-2017, 11:32 PM
I use a ChannelMaster DVR to record OTA programming. Get the 1TB drive with it and you will be able to record many, many hours of TV. Program it to record stuff in the middle of the day or the middle of the night. Pause live TV while recording another show. In case you can't tell, I like mine. I have two of them and no cable bills!
No subscription fees!

http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

Mike

ahidley
03-14-2017, 01:18 AM
It appears as the channel master dvr+ is exactly what would work. But $300 is way too much.

The pvr is interesting but I'm still confused what they actually do. I need a timmer built in it.

TiVo requires a subscription

I don't want to use a pc.

Joel
03-14-2017, 01:52 AM
Perhaps reconsider the use of a pc? An old, essentially valueless (dedicated) pc, a cheap tuner card, and there you go. Windows 7 and 8 have 'media center' built in, which works fantastically. It is easy to set up and use, is very powerful, the program guide is free and you just point and click on what you want to record. Of course you can pause live tv and all of that other neat stuff too. The computer wakes up just before the recording and goes back to sleep when done. If you don't record everything in HD, even a small HDD will hold a ton of programing.
An older computer and large monitor is what we have been using for our tv for many years. It is very easy to use, works extremely well, and hasn't cost a dime except for the initial (relatively minor) expense of the tuner card.
BTW, for anybody considering a similar setup as their main tv, a dual tuner card is a must, so you can watch one channel while recording on another.

lakeside53
03-14-2017, 01:58 AM
You don't need a subscription to tivo for OTA.

From Tivo's web site :

The TiVo Roamio OTA DVR was built for those looking for a cable experience on antenna TV. It works with any HD antenna, delivers one terabyte of recording capacity (150 HD hours), has SkipMode™ and QuickMode™ and also integrates all your streaming content from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora and more. Best of all, it’s now available without a monthly TiVo service fee. Pay once and the rest is all free-TV gravy.

Stu
03-14-2017, 07:00 AM
I record OTA with a Phillips DVD recorder that has both analog and digital receivers, no problems at all. Stu

Weston Bye
03-14-2017, 09:00 AM
In the past it was routine to use a VCR with it's own tuner connected directly to the antenna cable. The TV would be connected to an RF output and tuned to channel 3 or 4. Most VCRs had built-in programmable timers for recording at desired times, and days.

Don't know what the solid-state equivalent is nowadays as I still have a couple of VCRs.

I neglected to mention what Puckdropper pointed out:

If you have an old VCR, your tuner probably won't work. They have just the standard tuner and not a digital one. You'll need a converter box and as long as you're recording the same channel it'll probably work fine.

However, I found that my converter boxes turn themselves off after a certain number of hours of inactivity (channel changes, etc).

Baz
03-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Find second hand vcr in charity shop and an alarm clock at the same time. Check around your neighbours for a pensioner who will set it recording when the alarm goes off in return for some reciprocal service you can offer.
This is a bit like finding someone who doesn't have an email address let alone 24/7 connectivity staring at a screen all the working day. My 6 channel PVR records a whole series with a couple of button presses, searches for shows I might like, runs youtube videos from our favourites (as listed on another thread). Get some odd looks when I'm streaming a series of lathe videos as most people at work just leave the TV showing sport.
Go on get cable and keep me employed.

danlb
03-14-2017, 09:41 AM
The pvr is interesting but I'm still confused what they actually do. I need a timmer built in it.

PVR is just a fancy word for a personal video recorder. While often made from a PC, they can be stand alone too. They work like a VCR but usually record to a hard disk drive. They can be very simple or very feature rich. Virtually all of them include timers.

A DVR is a type of PVR that explicitly records to disk.

Dan

RichR
03-14-2017, 10:52 AM
However, I found that my converter boxes turn themselves off after a certain number of hours of inactivity (channel changes, etc).

Sounds like a design flaw to me. Unless of course it determines activity with asseye sensors to monitor if the ass is on the couch and
the eyes are on the screen. Otherwise someone watching a Happy Days marathon might have the picture go out just as the Fonz enters
the scene. Then they'll never know if the Fonz said "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!".:rolleyes:

MaxHeadRoom
03-14-2017, 11:16 AM
I am using a Android based internet box from StreamTeam, all the latest movies and shows etc are available, as well as all the oldies going back years, also if a sports buff, there is all the latest games from all over the world,
you do not need to record or leave the box on when not there as they are available as you require it.
Also comes with an Air mouse, which is a handy addition.
No other cost once you have purchased the box.
Max.

Paul Alciatore
03-14-2017, 12:36 PM
1. VCRs are still available. They may or may not have a digital tuner. CHECK before buying.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=VCR

2. If the VCR does not have a tuner, you do need a digital one. Yes, they are available.

3. Your connection is:

Antenna to device with tuner to VCR and finally VCR to TV. DONE!

There are other ways, but that is the most common. You will probably want to split the antenna feed so the TV gets a digital signal and you can have HD digital signals.

Oh, you are not going to get HD with a conventional VCR. It will be an old fashioned, analog recording.

I would need a complete list of the INs and OUTs (if any) on your TV to be able to figure out the best arrangement.

Mike Amick
03-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Here's a perfect example of why it is a good idea to have your location in your profile.
Knowing where you are from helps with the terminology used to help you.

I also was wondering what a PVR was .. lol .. and what colour .. oops color it was.

I second the big box suggestion, OTA is not dead, and a lot of recorders will support it. Just
go look around.

elf
03-14-2017, 01:07 PM
It would be more productive to spend time in the shop. Any news that worth knowing about is repeated and repeated (not to mention analyzed) until it's no longer worth knowing about.

Doozer
03-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Stop watching TV.
It is how the government is controlling you.

-Doozer

RichR
03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Stop watching TV.
It is how the government is controlling you.

-Doozer

I wear a tinfoil hat when I watch.

dave_r
03-14-2017, 02:25 PM
I wear a tinfoil hat when I watch.

Unless you are wearing it over your face, it's not blocking the harmful radiation...

RichR
03-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Unless you are wearing it over your face, it's not blocking the harmful radiation...

I don't wear it to block anything, I just wear it to look cool.:rolleyes:

Joel
03-14-2017, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure it's working. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/JoelinTX/TFH.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JoelinTX/media/TFH.jpg.html)

ahidley
03-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Danlb.... So on eBay they have hundreds of pvr for $29.
Is this the item that your talking about?
I really need two because I have two locations.

P.s. the reason I need them is because I'm always in the shop making chips and when I look at the clock the part is complete and the tv show is over. I do have my priorities set to machine first watch tv second

ahidley
03-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Any how....... Got a hw-150pvr for $30 and it does the trick.
I had to download about 10 different manuals to find a box that had a timmer built it but it was worth it.
Thanks for thoes who replied..

Mike Amick
03-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Total thanks for checking back and letting us know how your search turned out.