PDA

View Full Version : Model engine flywheels

sid pileski
03-14-2017, 11:59 AM
After following a couple of Brian's engine builds, one of the items that seems to be a bump in the road for him, has been flywheels.
I searched the web a little bit and found this:

http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPflywheels.html

They have a large selection of ones to choose from. Pricing looks very reasonable.
Granted, they are all spoke(d), and my not match the aesthetic of a particular engine.

But, would save a lot of work and potential compromise just because you can't find a large chunk of material for a reasonable price.

Sid

bob_s
03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Keep in mind that you have to double the listed prices for bronze.

dave_r
03-14-2017, 02:18 PM
You are now in the "No Posts" penalty box for 1 month, for suggesting someone buy an item instead of making it themselves, particularly when they have the equipment, knowledge, willingness and time to do so.

sid pileski
03-14-2017, 02:41 PM
You are now in the "No Posts" penalty box for 1 month, for suggesting someone buy an item instead of making it themselves, particularly when they have the equipment, knowledge, willingness and time to do so.

Hey, I do have the capability and knowledge. Just trying to help out others that maybe a little more challenged. Besides, you still have to machine them to size, bore, true.
Just another resource in the portfolio!

2X for bronze, yup. If you have to go that way, step up!!

Stepside
03-14-2017, 02:49 PM
I have used some of Gary Martins castings for wheels on a "Barn Door" track system. It was very nice to machine. I have also built his hand powered Shaper from castings. Again it was high quality material to work with.

As Sid mentioned, you still have to do machining and finishing as they are raw castings.

J Tiers
03-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Nothing wrong with castings.... you will spend a LONG time getting a lump of CRS to look like a "near net shape" casting.

That's pretty much why a commercial enterprise would have used castings.

brian Rupnow
03-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Sid--I actually did have a look at premade flywheels before I made my built up one (which cost the grand sum of $10 Canadian plus some left over "shorts" from my leftovers bin.) I appreciate the thought, but right now, considering the difference in Canadian and American dollars, and the big increase that the shipping jumps up to for crossing the border, the costs shown effectively double by the time they get to my door. I didn't find that making the 3 piece flywheel was a difficult job, and I was able to include my "starter hub" in the flywheel design. If I could pay what actually shows up on their webpage, I would have bought one.---Brian

sid pileski
03-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Sid--I actually did have a look at premade flywheels before I made my built up one (which cost the grand sum of $10 Canadian plus some left over "shorts" from my leftovers bin.) I appreciate the thought, but right now, considering the difference in Canadian and American dollars, and the big increase that the shipping jumps up to for crossing the border, the costs shown effectively double by the time they get to my door. I didn't find that making the 3 piece flywheel was a difficult job, and I was able to include my "starter hub" in the flywheel design. If I could pay what actually shows up on their webpage, I would have bought one.---Brian

This wasn't necessarily aimed at you. Just an in general note, that there are alternative resources.
Damn boarder!!

Sid

Mr Fixit
03-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Don't put a fence on that side of the country or we will really hear about it from our friends up North!!

TX
Mr fixit for the family
Chris. :)

J Tiers
03-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Don't put a fence on that side of the country or we will really hear about it from our friends up North!!

TX
Mr fixit for the family
Chris. :)

If I were a citizen of Canada, I'd want to put up a fence..... But if the stupid Yankees want to do it then let them pay the cost. Cheaper that way, same result.