PDA

View Full Version : OT: Volvo Sun Visor And Dykem Blue Layout Fluid

Paul Alciatore
03-14-2017, 06:56 PM
My wife drives a 94 Volvo and the sun visor has a broken bracket. Of course, Volvo no longer stocks them. So I went on on line and found one. The problem is it is tan and the interior of the Volvo is blue.

Last night as I was making some small aluminum parts I used some Dykem blue layout fluid and today the two came together. What could I use to die the sun visor? ..... How about the Dykem?

The visor is vinyl and plastic. Dykem is famous for never coming off almost anything that has even the slightest bit of porosity. So I wonder, will this work? Can I get it to come out somewhat even? Or will it be a disaster? I need some help here quickly as the Volvo is scheduled at the repair shop tomorrow. Don't say I should do it myself, I already looked at it and there is a very troublesome wire to the makeup mirror light and I just want to have it done.

PStechPaul
03-14-2017, 07:17 PM
I think it would be better to use a spray dye specifically made for vinyl car upholstery. The Dy-Kem has some powerful solvents that may soften and dissolve the vinyl, but a very light spray may be OK. Here are some possibilities:

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/interior-dyes.html

https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Pro-Dye-Royal-Blue/dp/B008ROPJA2/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1489533239&sr=1-3&keywords=vinyl+dye

https://www.amazon.com/Hitech-Industries-HIT-HT-450-Plastic-Carpet/dp/B00H2W9I0M/ref=sr_1_20?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1489533239&sr=1-20&keywords=vinyl+dye

38_Cal
03-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Try it on the dead (take-off) visor to see if it melts it.

Paul Alciatore
03-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Try it on the dead (take-off) visor to see if it melts it.

There's a thought.

JoeLee
03-14-2017, 11:04 PM
Your local auto refinishing supply store should have vinyl dye. They can mix / match any color you want. They might even be able to put it in a spray can for you.

JL.............

Paul Alciatore
03-15-2017, 12:39 AM
My "local auto refinishing supply store"? Is there another name for that?

And then, what about the plastic parts?

Your local auto refinishing supply store should have vinyl dye. They can mix / match any color you want. They might even be able to put it in a spray can for you.

JL.............

Magicniner
03-15-2017, 05:20 AM
My "local auto refinishing supply store"? Is there another name for that?

That's what they call them here too, usually found in a commercial unit, not on a high street.
You'll be surprised at the range of goodies available in a good refinishing supply store, be prepared to spend more than you plan to ;-)

johnnyd
03-15-2017, 06:55 AM
Try auto body paint & supply.

QSIMDO
03-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Leather & Vinyl Pro on San Diego St.

vpt
03-15-2017, 12:24 PM
SEM makes interior dyes in all kinds of colors in a rattle can. Works a treat.

CCWKen
03-15-2017, 01:02 PM

+1 on SEM products. It's specially formulated to bond with vinyl and plastic trim parts. They make dyes for leather, vinyl and plastic. Pricey but it works and it's permanent. Be sure to clean the vinyl of dirt, grease, grime and smoke (if applicable). Dish soap scrub first then follow with Windex or ammonia. Rinse/wipe with water and dry. I've used SEM dyes on auto/truck door panels and dashes as well as plastic trim parts. Accept no substitute.

Added: Another option is to just recover the visor. I've done that too. Any upholstery shop can do that.

6PTsocket
03-15-2017, 01:18 PM
I think it would be better to use a spray dye specifically made for vinyl car upholstery. The Dy-Kem has some powerful solvents that may soften and dissolve the vinyl, but a very light spray may be OK. Here are some possibilities:

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/interior-dyes.html

https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Pro-Dye-Royal-Blue/dp/B008ROPJA2/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1489533239&sr=1-3&keywords=vinyl+dye

https://www.amazon.com/Hitech-Industries-HIT-HT-450-Plastic-Carpet/dp/B00H2W9I0M/ref=sr_1_20?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1489533239&sr=1-20&keywords=vinyl+dye
+1 Go with real vinyl die. Dykem blue has solvents like acetone that eat plastic. Besides, with vinyl dye you have a choice of colors for a better match. Actually, most cars have interior and exterior color codes for matching. The local body shop supply can probably supply paint and some even can put it in a spray can. Just because the car is old is not a problem because they mix from a formula and it costs nothing to keep the mix info. for old cars.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6PTsocket
03-15-2017, 01:21 PM

JL.............
Correct, they just need the interior color code for the car, that should be on the VIN plate. That is better than matching by eye.

6PTsocket
03-15-2017, 01:22 PM
SEM is good stuff.

lugnut
03-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Amazon.com sells SEM blue vinyl dye.

garagemark
03-15-2017, 09:39 PM
If you are in a hurry (probably too late now), simply go to the big box store and buy a can each of adhesion promoter and your favorite color. All the big names make adhesion promoter. I used it on a pair of brown vinyl armrests on my MGB probably 10 years ago, and the black paint has yet to show any wear. Tough stuff.

Paul Alciatore
03-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Well, it is settled now. Talked it over with my mechanic and they recommended a shop that does vinyl. Said they could die it any color or recover it, like new. My wife wanted it done NOW and didn't care about the color mismatch. So it is being installed.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it was for nothing, but we tried.