PDA

View Full Version : Machines needing rescue near Charlestown IN

J Harp
03-15-2017, 05:56 PM
http://www.harrittgroup.com/jack-frazier-estate-auction-day-1/2481/

Lots of goodies, lathes, mills, bandsaws, shapers, grinders, and things I can't identify . It would be a shame for the scrappers to get them.

I have no affiliation with the sellers, I'm just passing on the info.

sarge41
03-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Nothing there in the machinist category that i would want to take home.

Sarge

achtanelion
03-15-2017, 07:21 PM
Nothing there in the machinist category that I would want to take home. I already have enough junk.

Sarge

Have a steak, you're iron deficient.

Seriously though, I see a lot of dirty, but the 2 small horizontal mills especially call to me. Not to mention the tons (literal?) of tooling.

boslab
03-15-2017, 07:56 PM
There's 2 shapers, a camel back, a nice Vulcan anvil, the list is endless, once you look pact the grot, the little surface grinder with a Chinese drill chuck on tickled me.
More rare starret than you can guess at, looking at the boxes.
Quite a good days picking!
Mark

J Tiers
03-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Nothing there in the machinist category that i would want to take home.

Sarge

Eh....

I see a Delta rockwell 14" lathe, those are nice, needs cleaned up. A big ol camelback drill press, even a miller thunderbolt welder, which is a bulletproof little gizmo.

Biggest problem with auctions like that is that the stuuff for the lathe is often 15 metres away in a toolbox somewhere. And the whole toolbox will be one "lot". so if you want any of the rare and hard to find lathe stuff, you have to buy a box of wrenches that you already have 2 dozen of.

And then you find that some joker moved the lathe stuff to another lot that he buys, and after you pay for your stuff he sidles up to you and offers you the lathe accessories for "a nice cheap price" that is more than you paid for the toolbox you now do not need.

Tim Clarke
03-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Well, at least the guy was a non-specific hoarder. The rusty Starrett Mic's thrown in a pile broke my heart, they're big 'uns too, look like 6 to 10" or so. Not that I could use any that size.... Rust and neglect. Until you have dealt with a hoarder, personally, you have no idea of how the disease works.

I wonder if dementia plays a part in this sort of thing. One of my very best friends is hoarding, and has dementia. Coincidence? Breaks my heart, soon, I'll loose him to the darkness............

Thanks for the post, it really made me think.

TC

BCRider
03-15-2017, 08:45 PM
The odd lathe sitting on the single "foot" would be something cool to have. Can't quite make out the name on it and the picture won't link to a bigger version. I need it like a hole in the head but it's a really interesting design.

J Harp
03-15-2017, 09:54 PM
I went and looked at it today, but probably won't go back for the sale. The larger of the horizontal mills was what got my attention, but when I saw it I decided it was just too much to try to get into my basement. The base looks pretty large and heavy, so I'll let someone else have it.

Yes, I'd say he was a pack rat, that building I would guess is about the size of a three car garage, and it is crammed full, there are just little aisles through it. I'm sure I only saw a small fraction of what is there.

J Harp
03-15-2017, 10:02 PM
That's a Davis lathe. It's bigger than it looks in the picture, I'd guess it's about the same swing as the fourteen inch Delta, I was surprised at how large it is.

Edit: I may have exaggerated the swing. In the picture the headstock and tailstock look pretty squatty but it's definitely not an itty bitty thing, it looks very sturdy.

The text on the foot reads, Davis Machine Tool Co, Rochester NY USA

BCRider
03-15-2017, 10:44 PM
That's a Davis lathe. It's bigger than it looks in the picture, I'd guess it's about the same swing as the fourteen inch Delta, I was surprised at how large it is.

That means it must be SOLID!

If I were closer and had room for a second lathe I would likely buy it just because of the interesting design and only partially to let me set up to do two different operations at one time.

Paul Alciatore
03-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Well, I see stuff I would want to take home. Wish I lived closer.

cijuanni
03-15-2017, 11:05 PM
I wonder if dementia plays a part in this sort of thing. One of my very best friends is hoarding, and has dementia. Coincidence? Breaks my heart, soon, I'll loose him to the darkness............

No, them hoarders have been nuts for a long time. I have met quite a few in my travels always searching for bargains.

Had a guy call me recently about a WTB ad for a old, American compressor.
He had several he said.

As soon as I drove up I knew he was a hoarder and I knew he wouldn't be selling anything. He gave me a tour of the place, stuff scattered and stored everywhere over 2 acres. Trucks, tractors. trailers, air compressors, racking, wood pallets, plastic milk jugs you name it. Must have had 50 dead pack back yard/garden sprayers.
Two shops with everything packed to the angle of repose in a heap in the middle and a small rat path around 50% of the perimeter. You had to hang on to the wall studs, walking, stepping over around the trail clutter.

95% of what he had was junk or scrap the remaining 5% buried and unpurchasable, probably at any price.

Finally saw a Quincy 325 sitting outside for years, unloved, but unseized. It was fun cornering him and trying to make him set a price on it.
He wouldn't, couldn't. It would have tore out his soul. LOL

10 or 20 years he will be gone and the kids, the scrapman and maybe CL or an auction for anything of the 5% that is still worth anything will be sold.

cRazY.

J Harp
03-15-2017, 11:25 PM
I talked with a fellow who said his father knew Jack Frazier, said his dad said Mr. Frazier was the fix-it man for the area, said he could fix anything that was broken or worn out, and that if he couldn't get a part that was needed, he would just make it.

The horizontal mill which I mentioned earlier has a shop made vertical head installed. I couldn't see it well enough to examine it carefully, but it was easy to see that it wasn't factory made.

Alistair Hosie
03-16-2017, 04:36 PM
I spotted the bell saw or was it two? Well two strange looking things one said bell-saw and the other was similar in a blue colour. any ideas. Alistair

J Harp
03-16-2017, 10:16 PM
The machine with the small knob on the large pulley is a Belsaw automatic handsaw sharpener. It may also be an automatic re-toother, I believe they did make such a machine at one time. I couldn't get close enough to the back side (opposite what you can see) to see what it said. Everything was coated in dust, the lighting wasn't good, and I was having a bad day with my eyes, I have dry eye syndrome and some days it bothers me, makes it difficult to see details clearly.

The gray grinder to the left of the blue-green one is also a Belsaw, it may be what they call a sharp-all. Somewhere in there was another grinder with a circular saw blade clamped up for grinding, but I can't find it in the pictures.

Google Foley Belsaw for pictures of their machines.

Mcgyver
03-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Well, at least the guy was a non-specific hoarder. The rusty Starrett Mic's thrown in a pile broke my heart, they're big 'uns too, look like 6 to 10" or so. Not that I could use any that size.... Rust and neglect. Until you have dealt with a hoarder, personally, you have no idea of how the disease works.

Thanks for the post, it really made me think.

TC

I sort of agree with Sarge. I mean there is so much stuff it would be hard not to see something that would be good to have, but the general level of mess and lack of care would make me concerned about its condition. Meanwhile you've spent, possibly wasted, a day driving and poking through the piles. I don't think this guy was a hoarder, not enough out and out garbage and duplication for that handle. Who knows what challenges age and an unheated shop presented to him, but it leaves the poor impression he just wasn't a neat or careful workman which impacts how much I'd want the stuff

J Tiers
03-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Yeah. A drawer with a pile of mics (I think I saw one) is not a recommendation for the condition you will find machines and other tools in.. "Get it done, and don't waste time doing a clean up."

Tractor folks tend to be like that.

Axkiker
03-17-2017, 12:51 PM
I went and looked at it today, but probably won't go back for the sale. The larger of the horizontal mills was what got my attention, but when I saw it I decided it was just too much to try to get into my basement. The base looks pretty large and heavy, so I'll let someone else have it.

Yes, I'd say he was a pack rat, that building I would guess is about the size of a three car garage, and it is crammed full, there are just little aisles through it. I'm sure I only saw a small fraction of what is there.

Ill probably ride up there tomorrow. Were the larger bandsaws true metal cutting saws ?? I saw several things I would be interested in depending on price. Bad thing about these onsite auctions sometimes things go for stupid money.

J Harp
03-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Axkiker,

I'm sorry for the delay in answering, I just found your post.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to bandsaws as I'm not in the market for one, I looked up the brown one, I think it's a Bett-Marr 24 inch saw. Vintage machinery shows it as a combination, wood and metal cutting.

The Racine Duplex looked to be very stoutly built, It's approximately the size of a 14 inch Delta, but much beefier, it has a G E Appliance Park badge on it, so I suspect it's metal cutting. The 4X6 isn't from HF, it looked OK to me, but I didn't do close inspection on it.

The power hacksaw is industrial size. If anyone is looking for a camel back drill press, that's a big-un, I'm 6' 3 and a half" and I was looking up at it. The larger shaper is a Steptoe, but I have no idea what kind of condition it's in. I'd like to have the Atlas 7B,if it's in reasonable condition, but I expect someone with deeper pockets than I have will get it.

There are lots of things there that I'd like to have, but it's more a case of want it rather than need it. I have no experience with machinery auctions, so if I went, I'd probably buy something I'd regret later.

Mcgyver
03-17-2017, 10:00 PM
There are lots of things there that I'd like to have, but it's more a case of want it rather than need it. I have no experience with machinery auctions, so if I went, I'd probably buy something I'd regret later.

IF that one was local I'd probably go, looks like more of an old time auction as opposed the commercials ones with their usury rates and rules. I've stopped going those. then again, maybe I wouldn't....wasting a free day is heavy price vs making something in the shop

its those same old human forces at play - greed and fear. Will I miss the day everything sold for a buck, or will I waste a day standing around while a clapped shaper goes for 1200.

If someone does please snap a few pics and tell us how it goes, good bad or ugly

Dan_the_Chemist
03-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Will I miss the day everything sold for a buck, or will I waste a day standing around while a clapped shaper goes for 1200.

That close to Cinci there will be a lot of tool resellers going. I used to find real deals at local auctions 25 years ago... but as eBay got going I started getting competition from other people. Nowadays I find people showing up before the auction, checking stuff against eBay, and then writing down bids that are about 1/2 the going price on eBay (for small stuff). The big stuff can still be had for a deal because eBay buyers and sellers seldom want to deal with freight.

flylo
03-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Not a good day here at least, rainy snowy & cold. Maybe better down there. My cause some bidders to stay home, never know.

Axkiker
03-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Welp being that im posting this I didnt make it. Honestly just woke up and totally forgot about it. I really wish more auctions would go to an online format. Ive had lots of success like that.

OldTimeEtc
03-18-2017, 02:27 PM
I loathe auctions.....dealt with too many who plant shills in the audience and too many uneducated flakes raising the prices on everything till you cant afford anything. There's some nice machines and tools there I could use but I VERY rarely go to auctions just for the reasons I just described.