PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

CPeter
03-18-2017, 02:09 PM
I have been interested in all things mechanical since very early childhood (age 5 or 6) and now that I am retired have time to do fun things like rebuild woodworking machinery. Was into antique fire trucks but had a chance to get out and did so. I have two John Deere tractors from the 50s that I use and they require a lot of maintenance and so I have welding and machining equipment. I just did a write up on some modifications that I did to my mill/drill.

I write regularly for the Journal of the Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers. The articles are about repairing and tuning the machines.

I just did a write up on some modifications that I did to my mill/drill. Can I post a link to that at some time? I also have written other articles about machinery modifications including installing and programming Variable Frequency Drives that people might find helpful.

I think I have followed your rules.

Thank you
CPeter

Mike Amick
03-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Please do. Would love to see it.

pinstripe
03-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Welcome! Not many rules here. If you are unsure about posting something, George Bulliss is the man to ask.

Evan
03-19-2017, 01:47 AM
The one most basic rule here is no politics. Also for the most part derogatory language will end a thread pretty quickly. In depth discussion of religion is also not permitted although some mention is OK. There is also a separate category for firearms. You are free to discuss them in that part of the forum but not in the general forum. Civil discussion of just about anything else is fine although it is a good idea to hold down the off topic threads for the most part. My posts now tend to be off topic since I no longer have a shop.

Welcome to HSM.

JRouche
03-19-2017, 02:33 AM
Haa! yep, rules are in order LOL. The deal is most if not all of our members are self regulating. Sure , some discussions get haywire. For the better part this is one of the better sites for us Home Shop Machinist. JR

Read the TOA

RB211
03-19-2017, 02:56 AM
Welcome, we need MORE on-topic posts here!

Lowery Racing
03-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Welcome CPeter

+1 on the JD.. (52' B)

Black Forest
03-19-2017, 07:38 AM
The one most basic rule here is no politics. Also for the most part derogatory language will end a thread pretty quickly. In depth discussion of religion is also not permitted although some mention is OK. There is also a separate category for firearms. You are free to discuss them in that part of the forum but not in the general forum. Civil discussion of just about anything else is fine although it is a good idea to hold down the off topic threads for the most part. My posts now tend to be off topic since I no longer have a shop.

Welcome to HSM.

No evan, your posts are not OT, they are off the planet for the most part! Out in the stratosphere and beyond.

chip's
03-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Welcome, I hope you enjoy it here. There is a lot of good info. here. Please post on your ideas and experience as well. It will benefit a lot of folks.

mars-red
03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
I have been interested in all things mechanical since very early childhood (age 5 or 6) and now that I am retired have time to do fun things like rebuild woodworking machinery. Was into antique fire trucks but had a chance to get out and did so. I have two John Deere tractors from the 50s that I use and they require a lot of maintenance and so I have welding and machining equipment. I just did a write up on some modifications that I did to my mill/drill.

I write regularly for the Journal of the Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers. The articles are about repairing and tuning the machines.

I just did a write up on some modifications that I did to my mill/drill. Can I post a link to that at some time? I also have written other articles about machinery modifications including installing and programming Variable Frequency Drives that people might find helpful.

I think I have followed your rules.

Thank you
CPeter

Welcome! As everyone said, we'd love to see any of the work you have done, are doing, and have yet to do. :)

Nice to see someone else from Cowhampshire here on the forums. :)

Years ago I was up in the Mountains (North Conway if I recall), there were signs around for some kind of artisans' exhibition, and I noticed the Guild of NH Woodworkers was having a presence. I really wanted to check it out, but my schedule didn't allow for it.

-Max

CPeter
03-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Maybe instead of Conway, it was Mt Sunapee at the Annual League of NH Craftsman's Fair. We have a big demonstration tent there and I go in for a day or two and do wood turning demonstrations. I Have a fellow board member on the guild Steering Committee from Barington. If you a re ever up this way, stop in. I love to do shop tours. I am 2 minutes from I89 at Exit 13.

Is it proper to list shop tools or do people consider it bragging? I don't want to offend anyone.

CPeter

Paul Alciatore
03-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Evan,

If you have a screwdriver and a file, then, as far as I am concerned, you have a shop. You could probably build a moon rocket with less.

Welcome to HSM.

Evan
03-20-2017, 03:18 PM
I have my Unimat at hand and my 3D printer but I haven't set them up to use since it would very much distract me from the work I am now doing. Ever since I built my CNC mill (still in storage along with SB-9) everything I have made is computer related. So I must stay away from any of that for now. I very much enjoy what I am now doing and that is what really matters. Finding this project has been one of the best things I have ever done. It saw me through this last winter with nothing but good things happening, such a huge difference compared to recent years.

Now summer is coming and that makes it even better. I can get out and do some serious photography of the waves and the stars right on the coast where the air is very clean. Getting some shots of both at once should be very interesting. I certainly have the equipment for it. One of my cameras has the IR filter removed. I am very curious to see what sort of photos that can produce over the ocean, especially with a time exposure.

boslab
03-20-2017, 03:27 PM
All I can add is hello and welcome to the collective, it can get interesting.
Mark

mars-red
03-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Maybe instead of Conway, it was Mt Sunapee at the Annual League of NH Craftsman's Fair. We have a big demonstration tent there and I go in for a day or two and do wood turning demonstrations. I Have a fellow board member on the guild Steering Committee from Barington. If you a re ever up this way, stop in. I love to do shop tours. I am 2 minutes from I89 at Exit 13.

Is it proper to list shop tools or do people consider it bragging? I don't want to offend anyone.

CPeter

Hm, I thought for sure it was during the same trip that we visited Echo Lake, but then I've got a memory like one of those things... you know, with holes in it? :) Entirely possible it was Mount Sunapee.

I would love to stop by sometime, once in a while I found an excuse to point my car up North.

Regarding shop tools, list away! Of course, nobody will believe you unless you provide photographic evidence. ;)