PDA

View Full Version : OT: semi update re my work

Evan
03-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Time for a bit of an update. As of now my work is closing in on completion. It has taken this long because the professor is a workaholic and constantly overloads himself with things to do. I was very surprised when he gave me a full hour of his time for the recent lab meetings and demonstration.

I now must wait for a more accurate brain model that he would like me to use in my software. In the meantime I have been finding models from other universities that will work just fine but that will depend on his approval. Until I have that I won't be making any videos that I can show off anywhere. We are also discussing just who owns what and I must decide if I want to make this open source, or not. It may have some financial value if I continue to own it. If I decide to keep it I will licence it locally only.

The system works very nicely with all channels displayed at once. I keep finding ways to up the speed to a point that looks like it is written in C++.

Also, something else is happening in the computer world. When I was studying at Berkeley it was my intent to create an artificial intelligence. But, it didn't take me long to decide that it simply was not possible to do that using a binary computer. I quickly saw that the brain is not a digital computer and any attempt to treat as that in order to create an AI was doomed to failure. That was about 60 years ago. It now seems that what I saw has now been vindicated.

I just wonder what took everybody else so long to see what I saw back then.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170309150634.htm

Scientists have generally believed that dendrites meekly sent currents they received from the cell's synapse (the junction between two neurons) to the soma, which in turn generated an electrical impulse. Those short electrical bursts, known as somatic spikes, were thought to be at the heart of neural computation and learning. But the new study demonstrated that dendrites generate their own spikes 10 times more often than the somas.

The researchers also found that dendrites generate large fluctuations in voltage in addition to the spikes; the spikes are binary, all-or-nothing events. The somas generated only all-or-nothing spikes, much like digital computers do. In addition to producing similar spikes, the dendrites also generated large, slowly varying voltages that were even bigger than the spikes, which suggests that the dendrites execute analog computation.

"We found that dendrites are hybrids that do both analog and digital computations, which are therefore fundamentally different from purely digital computers, but somewhat similar to quantum computers that are analog," said Mehta, a UCLA professor of physics and astronomy, of neurology and of neurobiology. "A fundamental belief in neuroscience has been that neurons are digital devices. They either generate a spike or not. These results show that the dendrites do not behave purely like a digital device. Dendrites do generate digital, all-or-none spikes, but they also show large analog fluctuations that are not all or none. This is a major departure from what neuroscientists have believed for about 60 years."

-----------------------------------------

Looking at the soma to understand how the brain works has provided a framework for numerous medical and scientific questions -- from diagnosing and treating diseases to how to build computers. But, Mehta said, that framework was based on the understanding that the cell body makes the decisions, and that the process is digital.

"What we found indicates that such decisions are made in the dendrites far more often than in the cell body, and that such computations are not just digital, but also analog," Mehta said. "Due to technological difficulties, research in brain function has largely focused on the cell body. But we have discovered the secret lives of neurons, especially in the extensive neuronal branches. Our results substantially change our understanding of how neurons compute."

I mentioned this to the professor when I first started my current work. I explained why I think that AI just isn't possible with a digital computer. This may well have a direct impact on his research because his research is all about how we learn to make decisions. It is all about how the brain learns and that includes how it forms long term memories. It will be very interesting to see where this goes now. I almost feel like I should be writing a paper on this. In the lab they are big on using digital emulations of the neurons. I may well have some more work to do.

RB211
03-18-2017, 03:26 PM
How ironic, the future of computing is in analog...

Mcgyver
03-18-2017, 03:58 PM
just try to squeeze it in between sittings for the statue. :D :D

boslab
03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Sqishy moog synthesiser?
Mark

Black Forest
03-18-2017, 04:47 PM
just try to squeeze it in between sittings for the statue. :D :D

I incorrectly stated that the part of the brain that evan said was 50% larger than normal must be the location for perverted toughts. It is obviously for the ego!

Evan
03-18-2017, 04:53 PM
just try to squeeze it in between sittings for the statue.

My father has his bust in the Livermore rad lab. Not something many people can go see though.

My father:

http://ixian.ca/pics14/dad.jpg

hermetic
03-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Amazing piece of sculpture Evan, if you don't mind me asking, who was your father, and what did he do? Phil
UK

Evan
03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
My father was officially a science teacher in high school. But it goes much further than that. He also taught teachers at UC Berkeley. But he also worked on fusion power at the Berkeley Rad Lab and I worked with him there for a couple of summers. But it goes further than that. He was a military officer in WWII and he did some work about which he never talks about. It is how he met my mother in Denmark just after the war because he did not return home right away. One of my great grandfathers was involved in research in Germany when they were trying to develop certain weapons. It is a good explanation for my various mutations in my system. My father appears to have been some sort of spy. He speaks Russian and most likely worked behind the lines.

He is still alive, just, and lives in a house in Berkeley that has very nice rental rooms upstairs. He sometimes in the past had "guests" that were visiting the US incognito from the very high end of certain governments around the world. Much of that is something I should not talk about, even now I presume and that very much includes some of the books that he had on hand when I still lived at home. One in particular was highly classified regarding things that glow in the dark and go boom. There is a lot that he doesn't talk about but he has let some things slip over the years. That is all I will say.

I come from a very unusual family. On the other end of things all you need to do is put this in Google: It is my great uncle. He taught me a lot.

Dr. Roger J. Williams

aostling
03-19-2017, 08:45 PM
... I come from a very unusual family. On the other end of things all you need to do is put this in Google: It is my great uncle. He taught me a lot.

Dr. Roger J. Williams

Was your grandfather Robert R. Williams, or was this another great uncle? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_R._Williams

Evan
03-19-2017, 08:56 PM
That is my other great uncle. My grandfather was an engineer and helped build the hospital for Albert Schweitzer in the Congo. My grandmother worked there as a surgical nurse.

aostling
03-19-2017, 10:39 PM
The bronze bust of your father looks like a cross between Vladimir Lenin and Albert Schweitzer. Did he really dress like those Edwardian-era men, while at Livermore?

Evan
03-19-2017, 10:56 PM
That is how he always dressed as long as I can remember except when I was very young. He has always had a beard, same kind I wear, approximately. I have the same problem he does, naturally. My beard grows so fast that by noon it looks like I haven't shaved. I do not know much about his activities at Livermore or even if his bust is still displayed. I was not permitted to join him there, only at the Berkeley Rad Lab.

He is now 95 so his time is almost up.

Incidentally, on my Danish side it seems I trace back to Erik the Red. The Icelanders keep very good and long term records since anybody lived there.

aostling
03-20-2017, 01:57 AM
He is now 95 so his time is almost up.

Will you try to see him? It's been ages since you were in California.

Evan
03-20-2017, 02:30 AM
Not a chance. There is no way I will cross the border again. That isn't just me either, it is many Canadians. I am not a dual citizen either. I wish things were somehow different but there is no way I am willing to go that direction. Some things will have a direct impact on a very good friend. It is also causing people here to cancel trips to the US, including the Boy and Girl Scouts. There is a lot I could say but then this thread would be locked in a hurry.

BTW, my uncle Roger wasn't just interested in vitamins, he was a generalist, like me. He was very much into genetics even before Watson and Crick described DNA. What he saw was something nobody else saw for a long time. It is a shame that he couldn't live a bit longer. What we now know is very much what he saw about how genetics affects all of us. Also, some of my Uncle's books are still in print and worth reading. He also wrote about 300 scientific papers. I am still in regular contact with one of his colleagues. I also just found a very nice brain model for my work at the University of Texas. Hopefully the prof will approve it.

Had my life taken a slightly different turn I would have ended up working in my uncle's lab. My sister has a lilac farm just north of Austin and my brother in law used to work at U of T along with my uncle. His research could have been a real family affair.

RB211
03-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Not a chance. There is no way I will cross the border again. That isn't just me either, it is many Canadians. I am not a dual citizen either. I wish things were somehow different but there is no way I am willing to go that direction. Some things will have a direct impact on a very good friend. It is also causing people here to cancel trips to the US, including the Boy and Girl Scouts. There is a lot I could say but then this thread would be locked in a hurry.

BTW, my uncle Roger wasn't just interested in vitamins, he was a generalist, like me. He was very much into genetics even before Watson and Crick described DNA. What he saw was something nobody else saw for a long time. It is a shame that he couldn't live a bit longer. What we now know is very much what he saw about how genetics affects all of us. Also, some of my Uncle's books are still in print and worth reading. He also wrote about 300 scientific papers. I am still in regular contact with one of his colleagues. I also just found a very nice brain model for my work at the University of Texas. Hopefully the prof will approve it.

Had my life taken a slightly different turn I would have ended up working in my uncle's lab. My sister has a lilac farm just north of Austin and my brother in law used to work at U of T along with my uncle. His research could have been a real family affair.

I guess it is political, but as someone who flies 98% internationally as a pilot, always going thru customs of many different countries, I've found Canada to be one of the most restrictive, barring anyone who's ever had a dui, or felony. It was actually an issue at my last employer for some!

Weston Bye
03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
...it seems I trace back to Erik the Red.

Perhaps an image to live up to.

Were you to go to the trouble to do the research, it is possible that you would find ancestors of less noble and savory character - some that you would not wish to claim or live up (or down?) to.

My ancestral lines include colonists and homesteaders and entrepreneurs, but also first cousins who married, a great-grandmother who spent her last days in an insane asylum, and an unknown rapist.

Recall from a different thread that I have a documented ancestor, one George Soule, that came over on the Mayflower as an indentured servant. He went on to become a respected leader in his community. Because he came here so early, in 1620, a large percentage of Americans could claim him as an ancestor. In addition to me, there are others of his documented descendants whose characters ranged from upstanding and exemplary to feckless and criminal.

Interesting factoids, and fun to note, but I wouldn't depend solely on ancestry or the accomplishments or misdeeds of others in my family to define me.

danlb
03-20-2017, 11:37 AM
One in particular was highly classified regarding things that glow in the dark and go boom.

Oh! I had one of those! A cheap chinese flashlight with lithium batteries that shorted out. Glow - smoke - Boom!

Seriously, it sounds like you have quite a family.

Evan
03-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Well, I have permission to use the brain model I found so that will make quite a difference in the appearance of the model.

http://ixian.ca/pics14/model_Mar_19_17.jpg

Interesting factoids, and fun to note, but I wouldn't depend solely on ancestry or the accomplishments or misdeeds of others in my family to define me.

But it does define you, especially the genetics and that very much includes intelligence since it is very highly inheritable. Also, what you learn early in life has everything to do with your family. It affects you strongly your entire life. In my case that has a lot to do with my uncle Roger, uncle Rob and my grandfather as well as my Danish uncles and others. One of my Danish great uncles helped to develop the very first heart transplants along with Christiaan Barnard. I am doing the work I do now because it may well help others.

Alistair Hosie
03-20-2017, 03:48 PM
I have been studying a lot about max Planck and his work with quantum theory .When I was at university we studied human and cellular biology towards my degree which was psychology . A lot of that work had to do (also as I said before when taking to Evan) with dendrites and of course tele-dendrites and the following activity of uptake and reuptake around the synapse. all fascinating stuff. As you know my new-ish understanding our conscious-ness. of the brain and it's ability as was previously thought to manufacture conscious ability. A fancy or maybe humdrum word meaning, that we, if pronounced dead was previously always regarded as being in a state or condition where there was absolutely no brain activity.
Meaning brain e e g electro-encephalogram recording flat-lined and through the years many doctors were told by patients if they were recovered many strange things that should not be possible like enhanced memory without brain activity. In fact many patients with no brain response. Gag response, pupil response no blood pressure, no heartbeat, no pulse etc in fact by all the science then available clinically dead.
A number of these patients who did recover or where resuscitated .went on to talk about everything that happened during that time in great detail .
As the gazed down upon their own bodies at the frantic activities of the doctors trying, and failing, to resuscitate them.
Some even were able to travel without their bodies down through walls to another part of the building and were also able to report every word which was said as well as all activity in greatly enhanced detail even though they were flat-lined this should not as we know be possible. A cardiac surgeon devoted a great part of his later years studying this as many thousands also have. Now many scientists believe the brain is merely a facilitator to our conscious mind like a radio may play beautiful music but the musicians are not inside the radio. see his work look up Dr pin van Lomel the interview where he explains the process much better than I can. This can be better explained if you have an understanding of quantum physics which I personally only have a poor grasp of as it is all new to me please guys read and view this on youtube. Alistair

Alistair Hosie
03-20-2017, 03:52 PM
see for yourself Alistair

http://compellingevidencefortheafterlife.com/?page_id=283

Evan
03-20-2017, 04:04 PM
I was flatlined in 1980. I somehow did an auto-resuscitation with nobody else around while I was in hospital being treated for incipient septicemia. The antibiotic put my heart into Torsades de Points and then it all stopped.

http://ixian.ca/pics14/ndead.jpg

I have no idea how long I was fully out but if nothing else I was just a few seconds away from death. In medical records of over 1000 people in 16 countries there are no cases of somebody doing a full auto-resuscitation without medical assistance in a case like mine without suffering severe brain pathology.

Time to get back to work. I put in about eight hours a day.

John Stevenson
03-20-2017, 04:33 PM
I have no idea how long I was fully out but if nothing else I was just a few seconds away from death. In medical records of over 1000 people in 16 countries there are no cases of somebody doing a full auto-resuscitation without medical assistance in a case like mine without suffering severe brain pathology.

Sounds like a no brainer to me ?

Alistair Hosie
03-20-2017, 04:42 PM
John if it is good enough for Homer then what are we to do. Incidentally for a few years when the Simpsons came out I watched it we all did all very funny then what happened nobody I know watches it now at all? Is that the same where you live ? Alistair

Evan
03-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Some may have watched it. Many years ago when I did watch some TV I stumbled on an episode, watched for about two minutes and have never seen it again. I do not have a TV. Anything that is in some way related to TV makes no sense to me at all.

tlfamm
03-20-2017, 06:51 PM
@Alistair

"As you know my new-ish understanding our conscious-ness. of the brain and it's ability as was previously thought to manufacture conscious ability."

There is a recent, interesting development in neuroscience bearing on consciousness:

http://www.nature.com/news/a-giant-neuron-found-wrapped-around-entire-mouse-brain-1.21539

Evan
03-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Way cool! Thanks for that link. That could possibly explain what is now so very visible because of my work. It is how the clock speed of the brain seems so high. Sure, you can patiently analyze the little squiggly lines one after another but that just does't give the concept of what must be happening in the brain. When you can actually see it all happening in pretty coloured waves of action it changes everything, at least for me and I expect for everyone that works in the field. Together with the analog nature of the brain and now this it changes everything we thought we knew.

I have been thinking that I can make a case that any super specialized lab should have at least one generalist on board. Being so specialized makes it far more likely to miss what is happening in the general field of anything. Now I am getting another idea for a paper....

boslab
03-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Often wondered if the wiggly lines were fractal, wigglys made of smaller wigglys, perhaps time base is relavent, bigger perhaps
Mark

Evan
03-20-2017, 10:44 PM
They currently sample at 500 samples per second. So, based on the Nyquist limit of half the sample rate to avoid aliasing that is only 250 and for any decent sampled waveform better than a square wave it needs to be under 1/4 or much lower. The usual known highest frequencies in the brain are around 50 cycles per second so the sample rate is ten times that to give a decent waveform. But what if it is much higher? As far as I know there hasn't been much investigation into that since the assumption has always been that something like the brain just can't go faster than that.

I very much expect that higher frequencies are possible and do actually exist. That is also something my work seems to make visible. Seeing fractals will require much faster sample rates. I have done a lot of work with fractals.

This image is nothing but mathematically calculated fractals.

http://ixian.ca/pics14/falls2th.jpg

aostling
03-21-2017, 12:45 AM
It is a beautiful image. It's fractal nature, however, is not apparent.

Evan
03-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Here you can see something that is clearly a fractal video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOb_IwT4vI

Incidentally, since I am now using a full 3D model of the brain I have figured out a really neat way to improve the presentation. When I have that done and working well I will see if I can make a video small enough to show at least a short clip of how it now works. Oh, the lecture on the 22nd has been cancelled. The prof has overloaded himself again. But that gives me more time to make it even better. Need to call it pretty well finished soon though. I will have other things to do in the near future. I will still be using it to make videos for the prof when he needs them and I also have more to do with the charting function but that is in no real hurry.

I also need to be careful that I do not overload myself. I will be teaching at least one course next spring and perhaps one this fall. Both will produce income. I am supposedly retired.

Alistair Hosie
03-21-2017, 05:25 PM
As many of you know both my son and his wife are consultant psychiatrists. One day my son asked me why I spent so much time and expense buying and reading all these books. It appeared to me he was asking in a kind of half mocking way, but he promised me he didn't mean that and was just interested in knowing why. I had already told him about my long since dead or half dead devotion to the bible. Where I found over they years but almost from the start complete start somethings terribly misleading or plane wrong , re my church the Baptists church well nearer the end I began to recognise the many talkers were just using words on Sunday to be forgotten completely until next Sunday. I too was like this ashamedly so, realising the Alistair they all thought I was did not really exist despite wanting too. The words in the bible made me also feel uncomfortable when properly analysing what Christians are supposed to believe.
Jonah living inside a whale well maybe that was acceptable 2000 years ago plus but really so much of it was just totally man made obviously enhanced in many ways to capture the cognitive minds of the day but really almost the year 2000.plus we all know these things didn't happen. The virgin birth, then Noah's ark two of every creature in the part of the world were anyone never mind Noha lived, all or even most of these creatures could not be found. Geographically impossible it would have taken numerous lifetimes to collect all the insects alone. Many more of the tails were embellished beyond todays belief system the feeding of five thousand etc etc. When I started to read about god and Jesus beyond the covers of the Bible. I found much more realistic accounts of what the bible was. First off the bible was written hundreds of years after the so called death on the cross some 360 years . And who wrote it some 360 years later well we can correlate the collapse of the roman empire with the founding of Christianity no coincidence there. The bible was written by the Romans when you read it you will find a very loving God who has his hateful side also bring in the notion of hell and roman catholic priests who can save you from hell in return for a kindness be it land or money
many were saved even from rape and murder. So anyway I digress When I read a lot of accounts find some on youtube about children talking about their re - incarnation and many details about their previous lives some of them when studied were proven to be very accurate indeed names dates etc. When some people are in a hospital bed under complete monitoring and spoke during their time of clinical death when there can should be zero memories they talked about things happening in great detail five doors through five walls where other surgeries were taking place they recounted all the information words spoken in enhanced details as well as returns to their spiritual homes where they met with relatives etc, bring back upon resuscitation even details of family members who had just died during their time in bed. So my son is as yet unable to explain this neither yet am I is it wrong to delve deeper into this fascinating phenomena I think not so I am reading about it with an open mind but open enough to accept it also which I am doing sorry but that's my understanding to date. Alistair too tired to write more as you are too tired to read more so end of Love brotherly of course Alistair

boslab
03-21-2017, 07:33 PM
I wonder how much space the DNA of every living thing would occupy, probably not as much as the actual animal, probably doable now, amazing when you contemplate it, Assimov predicts robots, Noah predicts DNA extraction in thier stories, perhaps it's just down to interpretation, just thinking before you do the wicker man on me!
Mark

Mcgyver
03-21-2017, 08:09 PM
As many of you know both my son and his wife are consultant psychiatrists.

wondering what a consultant psychiatrists is. A specialist dealing with the mental problems of consultants? Or someone with a degree in psychiatry who advises someone on psychiatry (vs seeing patients). the serious quest is what exactly does a consultant psychiatrist do vs a psychiatrist?

Mcgyver
03-21-2017, 08:19 PM
In medical records of over 1000 people in 16 countries there are no cases of somebody doing a full auto-resuscitation without medical assistance in a case like mine without suffering severe brain pathology.

you realize what you just said? explains a lot :D

Evan
03-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Severe brain pathology means essentially brain dead, as in pull the plug. I obviously managed to avoid that it seems. I was on an EKG at the time so something did happen but they don't have that record, the old paper scratch type of machine. According to the studies one either comes out quickly or it takes ten to 15 minutes. That is always with some resuscitation. I happen to have a very unusual type of long QT syndrome which wasn't diagnosed until much later. Most likely I was out for maybe just 30 seconds or so at most. That is nowhere near enough to cause brain damage, that takes at least three minutes. Because of the type of Long QT I have as soon as my heart slows down (or stops) it resumes normal function. My heart sometimes stops for two to three seconds. I own an EKG that I use to monitor it some times. It has been doing a lot better since I moved down here, something to do with the bike exercise I guess.

Mcgyver
03-21-2017, 08:55 PM
oh ok, what you said though was you were brain dead. :)

The Artful Bodger
03-21-2017, 09:36 PM
In medical records of over 1000 people in 16 countries there are no cases of somebody doing a full auto-resuscitation without medical assistance in a case like mine without suffering severe brain pathology.

I understand the longest recorded "auto-resuscitation" was three days.

Evan
03-21-2017, 09:50 PM
That is possible but the brain sure wouldn't be in good shape. That sort of auto-resuscitation is always after earlier attempts to resuscitate that failed.

No, I said I was flat lined. Very much not the same thing.

Anyway, I have been working on my project and sort of made a small accident. I tested it anyway and it looks great!. I love it when that happens...

Black Forest
03-22-2017, 02:21 AM
oh ok, what you said though was you were brain dead. :)

My take was the doctors must of known evan and therefor wouldn't resuscitate him but he got back at them by auto-resuscitating!

Black Forest
03-22-2017, 02:46 AM

How appropriate for this time of year!

reggie_obe
03-22-2017, 06:32 AM
My take was the doctors must of known evan and therefor wouldn't resuscitate him but he got back at them by auto-resuscitating!

Get serious BF, who wouldn't try and save the "Most Interesting Man in the World"??

John Stevenson
03-22-2017, 09:03 AM

How appropriate for this time of year!

As long as they can get him to cross his legs as they still only have 3 nails.