PDA

View Full Version : I've been cooned!!! o.t.

brian Rupnow
03-19-2017, 07:25 PM
About 4 weeks ago, my wife was kept awake all night by things going "thump" in my attic, and strange noises from outside the house. I didn't hear anything but my good wife certainly did, and demanded that I look up in the attic and go outside and see if I could find out what was going on. I took everything out of the spare bedroom closet, got my stepladder and my big flashlight and opened the attic trap-door. Nothing seemed out of place in the attic, but there was far more light in the attic than there should have been----very strange. A walk around outside the house turned up two pieces of aluminum soffit, which the wind had been blowing around on the snow crust and making the racket. A look up immediately showed two gaps where my soffit pieces should have been, and inspection of the pieces of soffit showed they had been bent and pushed out from inside the attic---stranger and stranger.

My house is a split level, having the roof at one end about 3 foot higher than the roof on the lower part of the house. At the "joint" between the two roof levels, a very small bit of gable end is exposed, and the soffit around the upper roof overhangs the lower roof by about two feet. It seems that a coon had climbed a tree which is close to my house, stood on the lower roof, pushed up the overhanging soffit on the upper roof, and climbed into my attic. Of course, once the damned coon was in there, the soffit dropped back into place and the coon was trapped. It bumbled around the attic half the night, then adventured out onto a different piece of soffit at the front of my house, and the weight of the coon caused the soffit to buckle and drop the coon into my driveway.

A week later, two coons were in the attic, same old, same old, and in the morning a very irate Mrs. Rupnow demanded that I call "Varmint Control" in the yellow pages of our phone book and get somebody out to fix things.---And what does this cost, was my first question when somebody answered the call. Answer--$150 to come out and see what was causing the problem, and $100 each for each animal trapped.

Not wanting to have Mrs. Rupnow any more irate than she already was, I said "Come on out, and bring your traps!!" So----out he comes, and over the course of 3 weeks trapped four coons and disposed of them.---Now I'm up to $550 and there still is the issue of even more coons possibly getting in. However, all is not lost. It just happens that for a "nominal fee" the coon trapper will fix any entrance points where the coons could get in. It seems that when my house was built 30 years ago, the soffits were not screwed into place. They set in an aluminum "track" and are apparently held in place only by the grace of God and gravity.

Of course, it is very unlikely that a coon could scale a sheer wall and push up my soffits, but all the soffits overhanging the lower roof have to be removed, a layer of sheet aluminum screwed into place, and then the soffits put back into place to foil anymore coons. This was going to be done for the low, low price of $600.

Now I'm up to $1150, and the original displaced soffits still have to be put back in place and the tree closest to the house has to be trimmed back to keep the buggers off my roof.

Now two things are making me crazy in all of this. Firstly, if I was 10 years younger I would have caught the coons and repaired the questionable soffits and trimmed the damned tree myself. Secondly, and even worse, if the fact that probably I brought this all on myself. Two years ago I put up a nifty bird feeder just outside the family room sliding glass doors so wife and I could watch all the cute little birdies all winter. And we've seen lots and lots of cute little birdies. Birds are very messy eaters. Half the birdseed ended up on the ground.--Which was fine, because that encouraged the herd of wild turkeys that live in the woods behind us to come out once a day and scrounge up all the seed that had fallen into the snow below the bird feeder.--Trouble is, it also encouraged the squirrels, and the rabbits, and the skunks, and the coons---friggin coons!!!---We even seen a possum out there, and I had NEVER seen a possum before in Ontario.

As soon as the snow melts and the ground thaws out, the bird feeder is history. Sorry, little birdies. If wife and I ever want to see little birdies again, we'll watch "The Nature of Things" on the boob tube.

Does any of the above prove anything?---Well, probably that you never get too old to do something dumb. Coons---Bah---humbug!!!

haroldmulder
03-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Just be thankful you got them out early. There is a house near me that has been repaired twice already and a few animals caught. Problem occurs if they nest there and defecate there, then you have problems.
My guess is if you had taken care of it there might be a few less coons around, unfortunately when the professionals are involved the animal count remains they just get relocated, and not to far away also.
Like I said be thankful you caught it early

Harold

flylo
03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Pepsi & blue heron fly bait for horses. Mix the granules with Pepsi or Coke but Pepsi is sweeter & works better. Put in a pie tin & they will die withing a couple of feet, sometime with their head in the tin. Works every time.
I keep a 410 with #9 shot n the shop & got 4 in one night all in about 10 seconds with a flashlight, it was like th OK corral. The folks across the street, only house in 1/4 mile leaves cat food out all night so the coons eat there & sleep at Motel flylo & they've torn insulation down & done a lot of damage.

lakeside53
03-19-2017, 07:41 PM
I enjoy them outside.. they give me no problems and have just as much right to live (outside) as we do.

Gary Paine
03-19-2017, 08:32 PM
I watched out my kitchen window while a coon on the roof of the house behind me grabbed the roof vent, arched his back, and tore the vent right off the roof to get inside. They are very strong and smart critters.

J Tiers
03-19-2017, 08:32 PM
They are opportunistic.

They do not KNOW there is a nice warm attic, so they are not looking to dig into the roof, usually. But they sure know if there is a soft spot and heat coming out, and they will try to get in there. If there isn't any way in, they don;t get in and no problems.

Maybe some coons have learned about attics.

Neighbors had coons in attic. Stupid pest people wanted to put the traps around outside her house on the ground. Of course they caught cats, dogs, possium, everything BUT the momma coon and 3 little ones. They charged for everything caught, even if they had to let it go, Maybe the pest folks were crazy like a fox...... they got paid.

brian Rupnow
03-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Where to catch the coons is not a fixed situation. When I first contacted the Varmint control guy, he had the traps set in my attic, which seemed pretty logical to me, except that he caught nothing. As soon as he moved the traps outside, he caught 4 coons one right after the other.

flylo
03-19-2017, 08:40 PM
And maybe they dumped the coons out in another neighborhood for more business. I like coons, warm dead ones. Those 4 I shot in the shop in the dark sure were fun. I need to put a light on the 410 as I had to set the light down to pump.

BigMike782
03-19-2017, 08:42 PM
They can indeed climb a sheer wall. I worked in a lumberyard/hardware store that was a 100 yrs of covering over and combing building and we had a continual problem with coons getting in the attic. They would scale a wall in an area under roof used for outside storage and would get into attic space over the store show room.
We had one end up in the showroom. Luckily it was an area seldom used and the owner was able to shoot it with a .22.

Axkiker
03-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Im partial to coons since my friend had one as a pet growing up. Yes very smart little critters. No reason to go killing them just seal up the house and they cant get in. End of story. If you have coons getting in your probably have other critters getting in as well. Critters are no different than humans. We will all seek shelter out of the elements.

OKChipmaker
03-19-2017, 09:33 PM
Jeezzes,You fellows are running your dinner off!.22 to the head,skin(sell hide to furr dealer)gut ,the young ones season and fry,the old ones bake with taters,onions and carrots.Not as good as cotton tails or ground hog,but not bad.

J Tiers
03-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Where to catch the coons is not a fixed situation. When I first contacted the Varmint control guy, he had the traps set in my attic, which seemed pretty logical to me, except that he caught nothing. As soon as he moved the traps outside, he caught 4 coons one right after the other.

'Cept'n only ones you care about are the ones that come inside. The rest of the area can have a coon on every square metre and you don't care. (well....).

So OUTSIDE, you pay for the coons that never bother you. INSIDE, you ONLY pay for the coons that matter.

fixerup
03-19-2017, 11:05 PM
I have a vegetable garden and they love my strawberries and grape. Last year, 4 weeks before the grapes ripen, I set -up my homemade live trap every week-end and moved 12 out of my backyard during that period. I though I was doing well, on the fifth week end, I heard my trap close and then the coon started to make lots of noise I thought my trap door closed on its body and it was hurting. So I got out of bed, dressed up and went outside to help the poor bugger. The door was closed ok, I looked inside and it was a young one, then I heard some noise in my grape arbor, looked up and saw two more, sitting on my arbor eating grapes. I give up! I have been doing this live trapping and moving skunks and racoons ,at least 15 of each every year and do not seem to be making any progress. The varmin companies are popping like mushrooms around here, they catch and release them a block away, there is no more predators around, so it is a cash for life business. So this year I bought an electrical power supply and I am going to wire a fence around my garden and zap the buggers!
Cheers !
P

Leadfootin
03-20-2017, 12:07 AM
If you trap and release less than 5 miles away they usually come back. Some #(^(%&$^$ pest control guys thought they would start dropping them off on my road in the country. Country coons are usually smart enough not to dig up flower planters but go for grubs in the lawn. Relocated six to a fairly distant wetland over a few days. Fortunately we have a few very healthy skunks to discourage the coons. Unfortunately they get into a very smelly disagreement a couple times a year!
Now if I can only get the bats out of my belfry!

J Tiers
03-20-2017, 12:13 AM
I put an electric fence on the tomato patch years ago. For the squirrels. Coons ate corn, but didn't like tomatoes. Voltage 210V DC, but at low current, with a small capacitor to give the reserve for a jolt

it was funny as heck, I with I had had a video camera. One I remember climbed up and stuck his head through between the grounded wire and the hot wire, and looked around at the ground. Then he lifted up his head and got a jolt in his neck.

He stuck all 4 feet out straight, and fell off, although he landed on his paws, mostly.

Then he looked around quickly, just as if he was checking whether anyone saw him fall off. Next he walked back over to the fence, and put a paw on it. Then the other front paw a bit higher, as if he was going to climb back. Then he sat there for a moment, looking up.

Finally he got back on the ground with all 4 paws and you could just see him saying to himself "I didn't want any tomatoes anyway!" and he went away flicking his tail the way they do.

There were others just as funny, or more so. They'd find a way in, I'd get a hot wire on that spot, and they'd look for another, getting the heck shocked out of themselves in the process.

Eventually the squirrels just got on the back fence, and launched themselves into the enclosure over the hot wires, usually landing on a tomato bush with a bunch of leaves flying. They would eat as much as they wanted, usually a bite out of each tomato, and when done they would just climb up the fence and take the shock on their way out. They didn't care, they were full and happy.

Tomatoes are now in a big cage.

JoeLee
03-20-2017, 12:51 AM
I had a coon that use to visit my garden every night. I would come out in the morning to bent over corn stalks and half eaten corn. They never eat a whole ear of corn they rip into every one. I wouldn't mind sharing a few but this started to piss me off. The garden is fenced in but they just climb over it. So.............. the next year I got one of those high voltage transformers from an old neon beer sign and some electric fence insulators and wire. I strung the wire around the corn so the coon had to either climb over it or go between the two wires. I spaced the wires at just about the right height off the ground and distance between the two figuring the coon has no knowledge of electricity he'll just walk through.
Well he did. In the wee hours of one morning I heard a whole lot of noise and screeching. The wires were tangled up with corn stalks, there was fur all over and no sign of the coon.
Never saw him after that. I thought for sure he would have been fried.

JL......................

J Tiers
03-20-2017, 01:56 AM
I'm glad I wasn;t trying to drink any water when I read that. I'd have fried the motherboard for sure.... LOL

i waited up for one once that ate the Koi out of the pond. Pile of scales, no Koi.

He came over the fencs as usual at 12:14 AM, and got into the pond. I lit into him with a 2 x 2, shining a bright flashlight on him so he didn't know what was happening or what was hitting him. He didn't want any part of that, and was too scared to even be angry. He left at high speed, squeaking. never saw him again.

Black Forest
03-20-2017, 05:04 AM
We had a problem with a big weasel. It decided it wanted to take up residence over our tack room in the barn. This was a big ugly weasel two feet long without the tail. The problem with the critter was it was too lazy to piss outside so it pissed in a corner and stunk up the whole place. I called the local hunter and he told me he would take care of it. He never caught it so I took matters into my own hands. The weasel is gone and after about six months the stink was gone.

I saw a video about a slinky on the pole for the bird feeders. It hung down about halfway on the pole. When the squirrels would climb onto the slinky they took a fast ride to the ground. That was really entertaining.

kendall
03-20-2017, 08:55 AM
I have a shed I use as a canned and dry goods pantry, It's well insulated with a nice tight fitting door on it and a small heater to keep it above freezing. At first it just had a closer but no latch, worked fine for the first couple years, then had to install a latch because the raccoons figured out how to pull the door open.

DR
03-20-2017, 01:16 PM
In the inner city we tried bird feeders outside our kitchen windows for the view while we ate.

As somebody else mentioned. birds are sloppy eaters. The residue on the ground attracted rats to our yard. It's bad enough some of the idiot neighbors leave cat food out on their porches and feed the squirrels. Plus, we have a number of major remodels going locally so that disturbs the nesting rats sending them looking for new homes.

sasquatch
03-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Re Coons being smart: Back years ago, my wife and where building a house back in the bush. She had stored a couple of boxes of jars of pickles she had preserved. One morning going into this shed here i notoce the box open, and one jar of pickles opened, and some missing pickles and some half eaten. The tracks there where from a coon. Somehow the bugger had unscrewed the lid off that pickle jar. Guess it knew that it was right hand thread. Lol

Tony Ennis
03-20-2017, 06:51 PM
...Somehow the bugger had unscrewed the lid off that pickle jar. Guess it knew that it was right hand thread. Lol

Probably a right handed coon.

A.K. Boomer
03-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Brian I got your answer but actually just got her today and am not giving her up --- got me another Mountain Cur the finest racoon tree'ers known to mankind,
I will post pics sometime, wow what a pooch though - already made herself at home in just a half day, and already passing gas on my bed, she does not know she's not allowed up there and I don't yet have the heart to tell her lol... ahh the price you have to pay for having a racoon free house...

wierdscience
03-21-2017, 12:06 AM
Brian,the biggest lesson here is,when your wife says she hears something in the attic-LISTEN TO HER :D

Women,generally will notice more things than we do as my brother found out not long after he married.His wife kept telling him she heard something running around in the attic.He kept blowing it off until one day he decided to take a look.

Squirrels had popped open a gable vent on the house and started nesting in the attic.After about five hours of sweeping and shoveling,Acorns,Pecans,leaves and twigs out of the attic the mess was cleared and the vent screwed shut.

Euph0ny
03-21-2017, 06:10 AM
We had a problem with a big weasel. ... a big ugly weasel two feet long without the tail.

Sounds like you had a marten. Pretty common in your part of the world. They like to chew rubber and cable insulation on cars, and can cause a lot of damage. My in-laws, also living in the Black Forest, have had a few incidents.

... when your wife says she hears something in the attic-LISTEN TO HER

Amen to that. My wife elbowed me in bed a few nights ago, saying she'd heard a "thump" overhead. I put it down to geese or ducks landing on the roof (we get that). A few days later, I spotted an expensive track-light fixture hanging down from the rafters, with only two connectors and the force of habit still holding it up. My wife must have heard it come loose.

Here in Belgium, Racoons are an invasive species. They are considered vermin to be eradicated, along with Canada geese and a few other undesirables. I have glimpsed racoon in the woods while hunting deer, and my brother was the first person to actually shoot some in the locality where we both go. He is having his taxidermist mount one and make a Davy Crockett hat of the other! The locals have been having some success trapping raccoons - apparently chocolate bars work well as bait, and they also like maize.

Rustybolt
03-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Vermin. Raccoons, Skunks, possums, etc follow the edges of things. Place the trap alongside the foundation and they'll walk right in it. My dog ambushes skunks by waiting just around the corner of our house. She hates skunks.

J Tiers
03-21-2017, 02:24 PM
....! The locals have been having some success trapping raccoons - apparently chocolate bars work well as bait, and they also like maize.

They LOVE Kentucky Fried Chicken..... Had one getting in the garage that could eat all the marshmallows etc without tripping the trap, but a piece of KFC tied to fishing line running up and over to the trigger got him. pest control guy had that bright idea. (It's illegal to trap them here unless you have a license)

flylo
03-21-2017, 06:55 PM
In the inner city we tried bird feeders outside our kitchen windows for the view while we ate.

As somebody else mentioned. birds are sloppy eaters. The residue on the ground attracted rats to our yard. It's bad enough some of the idiot neighbors leave cat food out on their porches and feed the squirrels. Plus, we have a number of major remodels going locally so that disturbs the nesting rats sending them looking for new homes.

I feed the squirrels & coons, lead, fast acting lead. Was at the cabin one night & heard the stangest sound ran out with a snub nose 38 & it was porcupine was eating a hole in the wall of the cabin. He took off me in chase till he treed about 40' up so I'm in my undies, with a small flashlight & got him the last shot & he just barely missed me, must of weighed 40+ pounds.

quasi
03-21-2017, 09:16 PM
I thought this was a prison thread initially.

bborr01
03-21-2017, 10:39 PM
My ex brother in law was taking a bicycle trip with his 7 year old son when they camp upon a pair of baby coons whose mother had been hit by a car and was dead. Son thought they were cute so BIL put them in his shirt and took them home. One of them died but the other one became a family pet. It ate out of the cat dish so they tried putting the cat dish up on a shelf when the cat wasn't eating. No joy, coons can climb almost anything.

They had a wooden screen door coming in to the house from the garage. The coon would walk up to the door and open it to let itself in. Couple of things that I remember was my BIL telling me to hold it. They hug you like they want to become part of you. Also, I had a long beard and the coon would comb it with it's fingers. It really was a pretty cool pet.

One day it must have decided to become a wild animal again because it left and never returned. Either that or it suffered the same fate as it's mother.

Brian

A.K. Boomer
03-22-2017, 12:10 AM
We've got bigger fish to fry than coons right now,,, just two blocks west of me is the beginning of the canon city hogbacks, it's basically the end of town and the start of some semi-rugged terrain

last week a Mt. lion came down and took someones german shepherd right from their fenced in yard,

also one was seen crouched down looking at people walking their pets in the rec. area,

guy told me that at the top of this trail I ride up there - almost connects with my front door, said "your not going it alone further north are you?" I said yup then he mentioned the above - gave me the willies but still rode it - turned in a pretty hot lap that day i'll tell you....

RB211
03-22-2017, 03:34 AM
We've got bigger fish to fry than coons right now,,, just two blocks west of me is the beginning of the canon city hogbacks, it's basically the end of town and the start of some semi-rugged terrain

last week a Mt. lion came down and took someones german shepherd right from their fenced in yard,

also one was seen crouched down looking at people walking their pets in the rec. area,

guy told me that at the top of this trail I ride up there - almost connects with my front door, said "your not going it alone further north are you?" I said yup then he mentioned the above - gave me the willies but still rode it - turned in a pretty hot lap that day i'll tell you....

Cats like to kill for sport, and often torture their prey before the kill. You can watch what house cats do to creatures smaller than them. Disembowling, and what not... You got bigger balls than me.

Euph0ny
03-22-2017, 04:45 AM
They LOVE Kentucky Fried Chicken....

Wow. Too bad we have no KFC here!

brian Rupnow
03-22-2017, 08:34 AM
The coon saga took on another financial twist yesterday. So far, I've paid $550 to have the coons removed, and $600 to have the soffits on my houses gable end backed up with sheet metal. Yesterday the coon catcher brought one of his sons with him to quote me a price for going up on my roof with a gas powered pole saw and trimming back all of the mature tree branches overhanging the roof . Trim them all and take them away for only $100, so, in for a dime, in for dollar, I said yes and the kid worked for about 3 hours and cleaned up all the branches which coons would supposedly climb out an, drop onto my roof, and wreak some other kind of havoc. This has been a very expensive way to commune with nature!!!---Brian

J Tiers
03-22-2017, 10:06 AM
It's usually good not to have trees hanging over the roof. Tree sap, leaves, and to some extent just shade, are all bad for roofs. Shade leads to algae, and the roof does not bake dry, so some kinds of rot and fungus can occur. But, coons can climb downspouts, so it's not a guarantee of prevention, if they want to get back up there. And they will tear off shingles if they think there is a hole under them.

As for KFC, it's not the special spices, but the chicken they want. So if you have cooked or fried chicken, they will go for it. Chicken legs are easy to tie the fishing line to.

A.K. Boomer
03-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Cats like to kill for sport, and often torture their prey before the kill. You can watch what house cats do to creatures smaller than them. Disembowling, and what not... You got bigger balls than me.

This is one of the more interesting stories in town, I remember when this happened and it was the local talk for quite sometime;

http://amarillo.com/stories/060300/usn_lion.shtml

make no mistake I did not have a comfortable ride - I almost crashed two times while trying to look behind me at speed, not a good combo for retaining your balance and staying on the trail,

they hit you from behind - stealth - and then try to crack your melon to get to the good stuff inside...
after that pleasantry they will feed off your body for days sometimes weeks, burying it in light brush and going back when their hungry again...

flylo
03-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Jeezzes,You fellows are running your dinner off!.22 to the head,skin(sell hide to furr dealer)gut ,the young ones season and fry,the old ones bake with taters,onions and carrots.Not as good as cotton tails or ground hog,but not bad.

Took a couple of friends originally from Missouri bear hunting & shot a 50# coon out of a tree with my Contender 45/70. These guys knew where they scent glands were & how to prepare it & we got about 5# of pure meat which they made into shredded BBQ, best & sweetest I've ever had. They were squirrel hunter & they don't eat them in the UP at least were we go so they shot 50+ & we had another feast. That was a lot of having the camp, meeting new people & trying new things.

Spandau
03-22-2017, 01:04 PM
I've removed 3 coons from my moms attic this winter using a basic trap and peanuts and peanut butter as bait. Still can't figure out how they are getting in, been all over the possible areas of entry, fixed a couple "maybe" places, they still got in.

My state hamstrings me on their disposal though, as you are not allowed to relocate them, and gunfire is not allowed in her town.

They do make a racket when trapped and can toss the cage all about, and bend it/misshape it. They also reach and drag stuff into the cage--ruined some of my mom's hat collection. Of course she lives an hour away, and its always at night when I get the call "that cage is making noise"!

Leadfootin
03-22-2017, 09:07 PM
I caught a particularly obnoxious one who was determined to get a paw on me every time I got near the cage. Old towel over the cage, starting fluid under the towel. Calmed him right down, every see a totally stoned coon try to climb a tree!

fixxit
03-23-2017, 02:32 AM
A few years ago we had something in the attic. We could hear it walking around at night. We called it "the creature" One night I gathered my courage and went up into the attic with a flashlight. I saw the glowing eyes reflecting the flashlight and the little bandit mask around the eyes. It was a big one.

I had a loose soffit end cap where he came in. One day during the daytime I heard him moving around on that side of the house. I moved into action. I removed the soffit cap to provide an easy exit. I had a 10 foot piece of 1/2 inch copper tubing that I filled with cayenne pepper. I positioned it so that he was between the open lit soffit and where I inserted the copper tubing. I gave a mighty blast of air into the tubing and sent a cloud of cayenne pepper toward the creature. I heard several sneezes and the racoon promptly left the attic. I replaced the missing soffit piece and never heard from the racoon again.

Royldean
03-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Wow. Too bad we have no KFC here!

France and Netherlands have them, no luck for Belgium? Popeye's is better, anyway!

Dave C
03-23-2017, 12:48 PM
France and Netherlands have them, no luck for Belgium? Popeye's is better, anyway!
Yeah but Popeye's has priced themselves out of my budget. I wonder what changes are in store for them now that Burger King is buying them?

Spandau
03-23-2017, 06:42 PM

Not to get too far off topic, but Lee's Famous Recipe FTW. Churches is good too. Popeyes will do, so long as I can get some of that cajun gravy on my taters.