PDA

View Full Version : Maching

mhann
03-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Does any one have expierience on a tos sn63c lathe therr is oil coming out of spindle front and rear just bought it

sch
03-20-2017, 01:13 PM
26"x157" lathe is a little outside the HSM community for most of us. You might cautiously try asking on the www.practicalmachinist.com site,
but it would be best to read the posting rules and your post title MUST adhere to the rules.
Title such as 'TOS SN63C lathe spindle oil leak problem' might be acceptable.

repaired URL

J Tiers
03-20-2017, 01:18 PM
That title would be perfect.

And nobody can complain it isn't an industrial lathe, it for sure is. If it happens to be in a hobby type shop just don't let on about that and all will be fine.

sarge41
03-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Maching: It sounds like you have too much lube oil in the headstock or oil that is too thin. This lathe may have labyrinth seals. These seals work good, but if too much oil or too thin, it will go thru the seals.

Sarge

flylo
03-20-2017, 02:37 PM
I was also thinking too much oil maybe.

boslab
03-20-2017, 03:32 PM
If it is a larger lathe oil leakage is fairly normal, just check your level before every use, and don't stand in front of the journal as you press start!, you get a badger stripe if you see what I mean.
Make sure it's the right oil too, some lathes of older manufacture may well use a thicker oil than today's machines.
Changing seals is a fairly traumatic job I've found.
Mark
Oh and welcome too btw, I think there's factorydragon87 using a tos on YouTube, leaking like a sieve no doubt, have a look, very get it done guy.
I like it myself

mhann
03-20-2017, 07:29 PM
There is a site glass towards the top off machine i was told to have machine running and fill till you can see that site glass but it come out of spindle before it showed on site glass
could it be that tube is plugged behind site glass?

lakeside53
03-20-2017, 09:04 PM
If your sight-glass is low down in the transmission then yes. Put in the prescribed amount of oil and see what happens. Pull the top cover and look at what's happening.

edit : I see you said "top of machine" - that might well be oil flow indicator, not a fill indicator. It should show flow within a few seconds of start up.

macona
03-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Might not be a fill glass port but a flow indication port where when running you can see the oil flow from the top hold down to the bottom one. As long as you can see some oil flowing while it is running you are fine.

mhann
03-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Thats the problem i cannot see any oil in glass while it is running

lakeside53
03-20-2017, 11:25 PM
Time to take the lid of the top and look at what going on. Lube by oil can if required while testing. Post pictures.

Assuming it has a pump - look for an oil filter - make sure it's not blocked.

Peter S
03-21-2017, 06:44 AM
mhann,

I would first check that the drive motor is running in the correct direction. On a machine that has just been wired up, that is sometimes why an oil pump doesn't work.

macona
03-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Often it is just a tiny dribble of oil that flows. It does not take much and you have to look really close. Some machines don't use pumps, they rely on the gears to sling oil and fill toughs that distribute oil to the bearing. You are probably going to want to pull off the cover and take a look inside.