PDA

View Full Version : A pair of interesting documents from Barden Bearings

tlfamm
03-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Handling and Mounting Precision Bearings
http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/barden/brochure_2/downloads_24/barden_handling_mounting_precision_bearings_us_en. pdf

Bearing Failures
http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/barden/brochure_2/downloads_24/barden_bearing_failures_us_en.pdf

Rolling Bearing Damage
http://www.bardenbearings.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/schaeffler_2/poster/downloads_19/wc_damages_de_en.pdf

Timken Bearing Damage Analysis
http://www.timken.com/pdf/5892_Bearing%20Damage%20Analysis%20Brochure.pdf

boslab
03-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Very good information, thank you
Mark

vpt
03-22-2017, 08:34 AM
No smoking when installing bearings!

A fingerprint is much thicker than I thought.

Willy
03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info.
Although I have quite an extensive library of technical bearing info and various catalogs on file, smaller concise editions like these are always good to read and review. Not being 8-1,500 page journals means they are to the point and will get looked at more often.

lakeside53
03-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Timken has similar documents. Well worth reading especially when you are dealing with shaft and external fits. I had to recently look up data when I discovered my compressor crank has a 2 thou shaft interference fit. I was sure that was wrong but... found out it wasn't so long as the bearing was at the outer range of it's tolerance. Great... ever tried to measure a bearing tolerance with HSM tools? lol

Fasttrack
03-22-2017, 12:31 PM
It mentions only using unplated tools... why? Concerned about chrome plating flaking and contaminating bearings?

dstjohn99
03-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Great information, thanks for sharing. It is interesting to see the induction heater for bearing installation. I guess if money is no object, but I just heat some clean oil of the recommended type to an appropriate temp to warm a bearing for installation on a shaft.

tlfamm
03-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Timken has similar documents. Well worth reading especially when you are dealing with shaft and external fits. I had to recently look up data when I discovered my compressor crank has a 2 thou shaft interference fit. I was sure that was wrong but... found out it wasn't so long as the bearing was at the outer range of it's tolerance. Great... ever tried to measure a bearing tolerance with HSM tools? lol

I added a Timken document to the OP.

Spin Doctor
03-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Barden and Timken both have nice literature. But then NSK and FAG do to. One thing to consider when using higher ABEC and lower ISO grade bearings is that because of their lower amounts of clearance the press fits involved are less. Also press on the shaft and the bore can lead to lower bearing life if the press acts to take the designed clearance out of the bearing. For instance an ISO C3 roller bearing can have an m6 fit on the shaft (+/+) while the housing can be an H7 (0/+) . One thing I have to do on a regular basis is make up repair instructions for stuff going to either for chrome and grind or spray welding and grinding. All tolerances are ISO with the size specified as say 110mm m6 (+.013/+.035) with the inch size showing the correct dimension for the high and low end of the tolerance just to prevent miscommunication

vpt
03-22-2017, 07:19 PM
It mentions only using unplated tools... why? Concerned about chrome plating flaking and contaminating bearings?

Thats what I assumed, sure does disqualify allot of tools made today doesn't it.

I do wonder where/when the "unplated, no rust" tools start to apply? If the tool touches the bearing? Or in any vicinity of the bearing? Or any time you are simply doing "bearing work"?

JoeLee
03-22-2017, 10:26 PM
I have something similar that I got from Fafnir years ago. I think all these precision bearing mfg's are on the same page with the handling and installation procedures.

JL..........................

JRouche
03-23-2017, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I have a new set of Barden bearings for my Bridgeport spindle I want to swap into a machine. I have had these expensive bearings for years now and not sure how to deal with them. This will help.

It is an addition to some of the other bearing manufactures docs I have. JR