PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a motorized wheelchair?

Dave C
03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
I've been reading the thread about using tread mill motors, and it it prompted me to ask the title question. I have a power chair that belonged to my late mother. When she passed, I sold or gave away most of her belongings, but kept the chair, mostly because my 8 year old granddaughter liked to ride it. Now the grand will soon be 19, and the chair has been siting idle, in an open shed for most of this time. Needless to say, it is not in sellable condition as is, and would require considerable time and expense to refurbish. So, the question is what to do with it? I can't think of anything the drive system would be good for, other than maybe a winch. Has anyone ever done anything with one of these things? All ideas are welcome.

Black Forest
03-23-2017, 12:56 PM
We built a mechanical cow out of one for roping practice. It was remote controlled. The kids loved it.

Glug
03-23-2017, 01:13 PM
The gimbal control can be useful as a machine control, for jogging, etc. The parts are good for robotics projects, etc. There is a market for the various used parts, on ebay and elsewhere.

Finding the time to deal with the stuff is the challenge. You might sell it or donate it, and take the tax writeoff.

RichR
03-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Pack it full of lithium batteries and turn it into a wheel stander going down the quarter mile.

Glug
03-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Get a couple of free treadmills, flip'em over, and turn it into a multi-track patrol-drone-thing.

mattthemuppet
03-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Pack it full of lithium batteries and turn it into a wheel stander going down the quarter mile.

I was thinking more along the lines of a V8 :)

as to the original intent of the Q, the motors would be interesting to look at in terms of speed and power, but I doubt that the batteries would be much cop after all this time. I'd strip out the motors, control, perhaps the wheels/ hubs and frame, then recycle the rest.

Blazemaster83
03-23-2017, 05:49 PM
I went and bought a standing belt sander from a guy a while back, and he had taken an electric wheelchair apart and built a square metal frame to mount all the parts/wheels to. It was something like 4'x4'. You would stand on a little platform behind it, like a standing riding mower. It was basically a motorized warehouse cart that you ride. He used it around the farm for moving stuff like firewood, hay and whatever else. He let me try it out for a minute and I have been looking for a cheap one ever since, so I can build one.

AD5MB
03-23-2017, 06:33 PM
lawnmower pusher

trailer maneuverer

jdunmyer
03-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Use the motors for a DIY Segway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUQqnqz1j9I

Dan_the_Chemist
03-23-2017, 10:30 PM
There are a lot of poor elderly people who are mobility limited. If the thing runs they would probably be happy to take it, polish it up, and get some freedom in their life. Your local church, red cross, or meals on wheels (while it lasts) would probably know somebody who could put it to good use.

John Stevenson
03-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Give it to that bloke on here who broke his leg and wanted donations.

Mcgyver
03-24-2017, 06:35 AM
I like the donate one - first sure its highest utility is as its intended purpose. Most moms would I think like that idea. I've one the geared motors I'd thought to power the Z on a mill will with a DC variable speed control....but it doesn't seem right gutting the thing if it works

blckbx
03-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Get a front row seat at a football match.

vpt
03-24-2017, 08:36 AM
There was a video posted here where a guy turned one into a mini fork lift.

On the welding forum they turn them into welder movers (off road).

Or turn it into a battle bot.

POLAR10
03-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Donate to a group like this.

http://wheelchairlabs.org/

See article about the guy behind it in Arc Magazine published by Lincoln Electric Co.

reggie_obe
03-24-2017, 08:52 AM

See article about the guy behind it in Arc Magazine published by Lincoln Electric Co.

+1 to the above.

olcop
03-24-2017, 10:46 AM
For a more serious reply, use the motors for power feeds on your mill, if it has the elevating seat, use it to position the knee
With a little thought, there are many tools, items that could power the movement on or semi position a large component on a machine.
But, the best idea of all, is to donate it to a group that supplies them to disabled people--if nothing else, they could use the salvageable parts for repairs.
olcop

Dave C
03-24-2017, 10:57 AM

Great idea, but getting it to Arizona would be a problem. I will check with the local VA to see if they would like to have it. A while back I called one of the bigger local charities, but they would only take it if it could be used as is. I told them it just needs a good cleaning and new batteries but they were not interested if it had to be worked on.

QSIMDO
03-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Do a coast to coast journey to highlight the plight of the machining trade...or the lack of quality in home shop tooling?

ConductorX
03-25-2017, 08:59 AM
My wife is disabled, so I have a couple of these chairs. Replacement batteries are easily obtained from Amazon. I bought a hover round chair and dismantled it. I plan to build an offroad electric scooter so my wife can ride on walking trails and not worry about lumps and bumps in the trails. I am planning for it to have some kind of track system to get over small tree roots or other low obstacles on the trails.

I am sure you will find something useful for yours with all of the great suggestions here.

"G"

Dave C
03-25-2017, 04:30 PM
My wife is disabled, so I have a couple of these chairs. Replacement batteries are easily obtained from Amazon. I bought a hover round chair and dismantled it. I plan to build an offroad electric scooter so my wife can ride on walking trails and not worry about lumps and bumps in the trails. I am planning for it to have some kind of track system to get over small tree roots or other low obstacles on the trails.

I am sure you will find something useful for yours with all of the great suggestions here.

"G"

I like your track system idea. It would enable my wife to get around on the uneven ground of our "estate"

Tundra Twin Track
03-25-2017, 05:40 PM
I like your track system idea. It would enable my wife to get around on the uneven ground of our "estate"

I have 2 tracks new 5"x174" 3" pitch with 2-1/2" paddles,the paddles could be cut down.

Alistair Hosie
03-31-2017, 12:19 PM
The al- DANchemist is correct why do you have it if you don't need it just find someone who can use it and you will have a friend for life.Alistair