PDA

View Full Version : OT - How would you clean these grills/grates?

challenger
03-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Sorry about this ongoing topic but I'd like opinions on cleaning the baked on grease off these grills.
I'm also wondering about using Lye. I tried cleaning these with Lye mixed with water but it didn't seem very effective. I mixed 32 Oz to 5 gallons of water and let them soak. How does the Lye become neutralized? Could the stainless steel vat have made the Lye neutral?
Thankshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170323/9072adab0ee63e2b331cdd1d13633250.jpg

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

Black Forest
03-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Sandblast them.

JRouche
03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
boil in a solution of water and TSP.. JR

Paul Alciatore
03-23-2017, 02:59 PM
When your wife is out, put them in the kitchen oven and hit the self clean cycle.

lakeside53
03-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Burn it off with a propane weedburner (to almost red hot) ... or bead/sand blast.

challenger
03-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Fire pit it is. Thanks!

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Weston Bye
03-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Sandblast them.

Be careful about sandblasting. That would be my first choice too, but IF the metal has a ceramic coating sandblasting may take the coating off along with the carbon crud, leaving the bare iron to rust and corrode.

Indeed, even with no ceramic coating, anything that takes it down to bare metal will allow for rust. Bare metal needs to be seasoned like a cast iron fry pan. Get it up to heat and brush on a coat of vegetable oil (or meat grease?)after cleaning and maybe even after each use.

CarlByrns
03-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Someone in your town does steam cleaning- it's effective and safe.

MattiJ
03-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Boiling lye bath

Bob Engelhardt
03-23-2017, 05:32 PM
I'm also wondering about using Lye. ... I mixed 32 Oz to 5 gallons of water and let them soak. ...

I use a lb (16 oz) per gallon & I don't know why. But it works well, even for paint stripping. How long did you let yours soak?

challenger
03-23-2017, 06:19 PM
Well I'll be putting these in the fire pit to burn off carbon. There isn't any coating to worry about. After that I will season the grates with oil and heat/cool maybe 10 times or so.
Thanks for all the tips too!

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Forrest Addy
03-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Lye is nasty stuff and you still have to dispose of the waste.

Keep it simple: put them in the kitchen oven if it has a self cleaning cycle. It wont clean it all off because there's no catalyctic coating but it will char the grease and kling-ons to a friable crust you can wire brush it. Otherwise cutting torch (hot oxygen will burn off anything organic) or put it in a charcoal barbecue, wood stove, or a bonfire.

IOW, heat it to 1200F.

CarlByrns
03-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Well I'll be putting these in the fire pit to burn off carbon. There isn't any coating to worry about. After that I will season the grates with oil and heat/cool maybe 10 times or so.
Thanks for all the tips too!
Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Seasoning a burner grate is a waste of time. Cast iron cookware is seasoned to create a no-stick cooking surface, not for corrosion control.

Mcgyver
03-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Seasoning a burner grate is a waste of time. Cast iron cookware is seasoned to create a no-stick cooking surface, not for corrosion control.

agreed. what won't come off with a wire brush isn't worth worrying about.....spend the time you'll save trying to de-throne me on best bbq sauce ever :D

Willy
03-24-2017, 09:51 AM
agreed. what won't come off with a wire brush isn't worth worrying about.....spend the time you'll save trying to de-throne me on best bbq sauce ever :D

Okay, the gauntlet has been thrown, fess up that recipe.:)

Mcgyver
03-24-2017, 10:00 AM
lol.....its different every time

Planeman41
03-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Spray with oven cleaner, wait fifteen minutes, then wash off with a hose. Oven cleaner is made for that kind of stuff. Contains lye, don't breathe, protect skin if you are the sensitive type. This is the obvious answer, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it.

MattiJ
03-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Lye is nasty stuff and you still have to dispose of the waste.

Dispose? Isn't that just cheap grade drain cleaner after you have used it to clean the grate ;)

And yes, lye is nasty stuff so you better not splash it on your face and eyes. Face mask strongly recommended.

A.K. Boomer
03-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Keep it simple: put them in the kitchen oven if it has a self cleaning cycle.

Me thinks that could be way too complicated when the Bride gets home and says "what's that smell permeating from my drapes and carpets"

fire pit em.

challenger
03-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Well you see, this is what happens when you pick a fight with an enemy you know nothing about. Rule #1: when you pick a fight know your enemy well enough to know you can win.
These grates are for a cook from here. [URL] https://www.avalonbarbecueco.com/about[ /URL]. Award winning team, "Philly pig". Nuff said unless you have some hardware to show the walk???
Anyway, now that my light work is out of the way[emoji12] what I ended up doing is cleaning up the yard. A byproduct of which was a few 55 gallon burn barrel full of dry pine cones. Set them ablaze and dropped the grates into the inferno. Once cooled I blasted them with the pressure washer which I had out in order to wash the house that was coated in our annual yellow pine pollen dust. The pine tree is SE NC, and elsewhere I am sure, put out yellow pine pollen for weeks. It started a month or more ago and is just now nearing the end. The stuff gets everywhere. Almost like sheetrock dust IYKWIM.
It sticks to the siding and to the porch ceilings. Then the mold feeds on it and makes a blackish stain. A real PIA.
Anyway I am trying to kill the grill bird along with the spring cleaning bird.
So seasoning the grates is a waste of time huh? I guess because the grates become way too hot while in use and the coating burns off??? Saves me a lot of time knowing this. Thanks

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Mcgyver
03-24-2017, 12:30 PM
didn't know anyone was picking a fight. :rolleyes:

With all the respect due to someone called the Philly Pig, (who'd want to fight the Philly Pig lol) it still seems its a waste of time if they are grates as I understand the meaning of the word, as in something other cookware sites on top of it. What does seasoning accomplish?

challenger
03-24-2017, 01:31 PM
didn't know anyone was picking a fight. :rolleyes:

With all the respect due to someone called the Philly Pig, (who'd want to fight the Philly Pig lol) it still seems its a waste of time if they are grates as I understand the meaning of the word, as in something other cookware sites on top of it. What does seasoning accomplish?
I was 100% joking as I'm sure you know. It is my understanding that the BBQ crowd is VERY passionate about the art of meats so, along with that passion, trash talk is part and parcel.
I must admit that this is my personal ASSumption. I have no dog in the BBQ fight (well maybe that's actually Chinese food???) due to the fact that I'm allergic to mammalian meat. This comes from getting bit by many ticks and chiggers I am told. Therefore red meat causes an anaphylaxis reaction that is bad news. I must say I really miss ribs, hamburgers, bacon, corned beef and tenderloin. Other than those I never ate a lot of the of meat anyway [emoji16].
As far as the seasoning goes I thought that a good coating would prevent the type of gnarly build up that I just burnt off?? After reading your post about it being a waste of time I figured the direct flame to the grate would just bake the coating off???
Here are the post inferno grates. Not a speck of precious owner grease.
Yup, I think they look great! Sorry, I had to[emoji2] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/e79699d49cfa236c176eeed192da5802.jpg

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Mcgyver
03-24-2017, 01:50 PM
i actually wasn't sure if you were kidding, my bad. I'm just doing the food thing for fun, i'll have to get more trash talk in my repertoire:D

they came out well.....too bad about the red meat. I put a new kitchen in a year or two ago and have been really getting into cooking. I'll be a beginner for a very long time but I try to challenge myself. lots of fun.....and it comes with some great approbation from the rest of the house.....vs the machining creations which likely range from "he's nuts" to "at least he's not in my hair".

garyhlucas
03-24-2017, 03:09 PM
We use lye, caustic, sodium hydroxide every day as we build waste treatment plants. It is extremely dangerous for your eyes. One drop in your eye and you very likely will be blind, no second chance and WAY worse than an acid. In any event please feel free to put it in the sewer as the nutrient removal we are required to do always requires us to raise the pH using caustic or other source of alkalinity.

challenger
03-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Yes the Lye intimidated me. I am not the most careful person however I was intimidated enough to wear all the proper protection. I didn't get good results but I'm sure that was due to mixing it too weak. It's is $14.00 a quart for the crystal dry n cleaner. It claims to be 100% Lye. I was trying to stretch it and even soaking for two days was not better than oven cleaner.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Puckdropper
03-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Okay, the gauntlet has been thrown, fess up that recipe.:)

Darn, I was hoping you were in Missouri or similar, so we could meet in the middle (I'm in IL) and have a taste test! I'd even be willing to offer a propane grill and a fire pit for cooking of meat. I've got a tripod with cooking grate that does a fine job holding food over the heat.

Willy
03-25-2017, 12:01 AM
Well I can testify to doing a fine job holding onto a cocktail while standing next to the heat.
Looks like all we need is some bus tickets and some dead critter parts! LOL

Black Forest
03-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Whereas the grates are clean I will post what I think to be the funniest BBQ story I have ever read or heard. Sorry if it is too long for some of you old farts!

Notes from an inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:

Recently I was honoured to be selected as an outstanding famous celebrity in Texas, to be a judge at a Chili cook-off, because no one else wanted to do it. Also the original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me that I could have free beer during the tasting. So I accepted.

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1: MIKE'S MANIC MONSTER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A little to heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.

JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.

FRANK: Holy ****, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with this stuff. I needed two beers to put the flames out. Hope that's the worst one. Those Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2: ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.

JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavour. Needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

FRANK: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave of two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre. They had to walkie-talkie in three extra beers when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3: FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.

JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili. A bit salty. Good use of red peppers.

FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting ****-faced.

CHILI # 4: BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC

JUDGE ONE: Black Bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods. Not much of a chili.

FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb bitch is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear-waste I'm eating.

CHILI # 5: LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

FRANK: My ears are ringing, and I can no linger focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly from a pitcher onto it. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Freakin' Rednecks! ! !

CHILI # 6: VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers.

JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic.

FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7: SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum. Tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about Judge # 3.

FRANK: You could put a #)$^@#*&! Grenade in my mouth, pull the #)$^@#*&! pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my X*$(@#^&$ mouth. My pants are full of lava-like ****, to match my X*$(@#^&$ shirt. At least the during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the four inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8: HELEN'S MOUNT SAINT CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending. This is a nice blend chili, safe for all; not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good balanced chili, neither mild now hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell and pulled the chili pot on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank.

FRANK: - - - - - Mama?- - - (Editor's Note: Judge # 3 was unable to report).

Georgineer
03-25-2017, 08:14 AM
Rather than mess about seasoning the grids and grates with vegetable oil, I would use one of the traditional graphite based grate and stove polishes (Zebrite, Hotspot...) applied with an old toothbrush and a rag, or just plain graphite powder brushed well into the surface. It would make them look very smart, and on the areas which don't get hot enough to burn it off I think it should act as a release coating for the food spatter. Regularly applied, it might help to prevent the food build-up in future.

George

Glug
03-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Rather than mess about seasoning the grids and grates with vegetable oil, I would use one of the traditional graphite based grate and stove polishes (Zebrite, Hotspot...) applied with an old toothbrush and a rag, or just plain graphite powder brushed well into the surface.

Interesting. Didn't know about those. That uniformity could be very useful. My Grandfather was recently insisting he had some Coal Stove Polish in the basement. We were unable to locate it.

Regarding the burn off. The parts, once stripped, should have some kind of protection applied to prevent rust, and hopefully make them easier to clean in the future. Ideally any oil 'seasoning' on the parts would first be slowly polymerized. Then it would be converted to carbon. That would have good resistance to burn-off.

CarlByrns
03-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Rather than mess about seasoning the grids and grates with vegetable oil, I would use one of the traditional graphite based grate and stove polishes (Zebrite, Hotspot...) applied with an old toothbrush and a rag, or just plain graphite powder brushed well into the surface. It would make them look very smart, and on the areas which don't get hot enough to burn it off I think it should act as a release coating for the food spatter. Regularly applied, it might help to prevent the food build-up in future.

George

The bar grates are going to be in contact with food. The burner grates will be under pots of food that can catch fumes. 'Nothing' is the proper thing to use.

CarlByrns
03-25-2017, 08:30 AM
Here are the post inferno grates. Not a speck of precious owner grease.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

They look terrific. Time to start grilling!

challenger
03-25-2017, 12:24 PM
I'd love some sort of coating that would keep food, drips and what have you from sticking. I have never heard of a graphite coating but I leary about graphite and food contact?
A porcelain coating would be lovely but that's not going to happen.
Currently I am trying some oil and bake in a barbecue seasoning of these grates. I'm having trouble getting the proper time and temperature however. First attempt left the grate still oily after cooling. Second attempt left the grate without any oil as it got burned off so too little temp for the first time and too much for the second. I am using peanut oil BTW and trying to get 400*F. Can I get a thick coating after many sessions/cycles?
I am doing this as I do other things so it isn't currently a time burden and who knows, I might learn something?

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Joel
03-25-2017, 02:24 PM
An oven will have much better heat control than a BBQ.
To season, first scrub clean with a brush and detergent. Wipe on a THIN coat of oil - the Lodge brand seasoning oil is just 100% Canola oil. Bake in an oven at 400 for an hour, turn off the oven and let it cool. Repeat the thin oil coat and bake routine a few times, until you are happy with the coating. 3x is probably about right. Put on a very thin oil coat after finishing the seasoning (and don't bake).

Glug
03-25-2017, 04:41 PM
I agree with Joel. To emphasize a few things..

I prefer regular Crisco, or lard or bacon grease. Whatever oil you use, apply it to the part while the part is warm. You want the oil to spread out. Sometimes lint or fuzz will stick to a rough casting, especially if it rough, so choose a rag that resists that. Wipe off as much of the oil as possible. You want it as thin as possible.

400 or 450 is a good temp for polymerization. Arrange the objects so the oil that runs off does not pool. Letting it cool between applications is important, I believe, for the process. There is a big reaction involving the creation of long chains of connected molecules. It should not be tacky after it is properly polymerized. If it is, increase the time. It can also be an indication the oil was too thick, or not hot enough.

Once you have it polymerized, it will take higher temperatures to carbonize. That's where the black comes from. If you go straight to high temps without the polymerization steps, it is not the same. However I have read where people suggest higher temps from the start, so I don't know.

With pans, after initial seasoning, it seems like it takes multiple uses to get a good coating of seasoning. I wish I knew how to make it go more quickly.

Georgineer
03-26-2017, 06:22 AM
Challenger,

I don't think you need worry. Generations of our grandmothers have cooked on graphite polished stoves, and we're still here. As far as I can find out from an internet search the stove polish was traditionally made from graphite, lamp black, wax, and a solvent to make it into a paste for applying. There are water-based stove polishes but they don't get good reviews.

The solvent would evaporate in a short time - no problem there. Graphite and lamp black are different forms of pure carbon, and I have never heard of a safety warning about pure carbon, even in the state of California. That leaves us with the wax. I don't know what waxes are used but paraffin wax (canning wax) was/is used in food preservation. Carnauba wax is used as a food glaze. Beeswax is eaten with honey. There are other waxes, but I know little of them. Any wax - and there would only be a trace - would vaporise or burn off on first heating. I presume one wouldn't put the food on before the grill is hot.

And a final thought - if the graphite rubs off onto the food, it saves you the trouble of painting the black lines on with one of those barbecue pens.

George

CarlByrns
03-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Challenger,

I don't think you need worry. Generations of our grandmothers have cooked on graphite polished stoves, and we're still here. As far as I can find out from an internet search the stove polish was traditionally made from graphite, lamp black, wax, and a solvent to make it into a paste for applying. There are water-based stove polishes but they don't get good reviews.

The solvent would evaporate in a short time - no problem there. Graphite and lamp black are different forms of pure carbon, and I have never heard of a safety warning about pure carbon, even in the state of California. That leaves us with the wax. I don't know what waxes are used but paraffin wax (canning wax) was/is used in food preservation. Carnauba wax is used as a food glaze. Beeswax is eaten with honey. There are other waxes, but I know little of them. Any wax - and there would only be a trace - would vaporise or burn off on first heating. I presume one wouldn't put the food on before the grill is hot.

And a final thought - if the graphite rubs off onto the food, it saves you the trouble of painting the black lines on with one of those barbecue pens.

George

Evidently, grilling food isn't done in Old Blighty.:)
The food will be in direct contact with the grates for an extended period of time, so anything other than bare iron is a no-no.

The classic (and professional) method of cleaning grill grates (and flat grills and hibachis) is to heat them up and wipe them with a wet towel. The steam cleans up any loose material or rust. The grill is then wiped dry, the heat is removed and the grates are lightly oiled for a moisture barrier.

Willy
03-26-2017, 02:09 PM
The decision of what the healthy choice is insofar as what or what not to apply to cooking grates is rather ironic. Given the fact that it is a widely accepted fact that charring animal flesh over a high temp open flame produces cancerous byproducts in the process.

In spite of that I still enjoy the barbie now and then and don't make a habit of eating from it daily so I'm not overly concerned about it. Working in the shop probably exposes me to more health and safety issues, ain't stopping that anytime soon.
Don't even get me started on the issues of the drive into town.:)

Georgineer
03-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Evidently, grilling food isn't done in Old Blighty.:)

Not so; I've seen it done often.

First put a layer of firelighters in the barbecue and top it with a load of charcoal (none of that namby-pamby bottled gas here, thank you very much).
Light it and place the grid over the top. As the flames climb to their highest get the chicken legs from the freezer, remove as many layers of packaging as possible before the flames die down, and throw them (the legs, not the packaging) (oh, I don't know though, it doesn't make a lot of difference) on to the grid.
When the outside is a nice crispy black (pure carbon, Willy, no cancer risk there) douse it in hot chilli sauce to mask the taste of kerosene, and serve.
If you have timed it right the crisp crackly crust on the outside combines deliciously with the rubbery flesh and crunchy ice crystals in the middle - a meaty Baked Alaska. Mmmm, yummy!

George

challenger
03-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Not so; I've seen it done often.

First put a layer of firelighters in the barbecue and top it with a load of charcoal (none of that namby-pamby bottled gas here, thank you very much).
Light it and place the grid over the top. As the flames climb to their highest get the chicken legs from the freezer, remove as many layers of packaging as possible before the flames die down, and throw them (the legs, not the packaging) (oh, I don't know though, it doesn't make a lot of difference) on to the grid.
When the outside is a nice crispy black (pure carbon, Willy, no cancer risk there) douse it in hot chilli sauce to mask the taste of kerosene, and serve.
If you have timed it right the crisp crackly crust on the outside combines deliciously with the rubbery flesh and crunchy ice crystals in the middle - a meaty Baked Alaska. Mmmm, yummy!

George
That made me laugh. Thank you.
As one who is allergic to red meat I have to rely one chicken and turkey for a lot of my food. After almost eight years of this allergy I have become so sick and tired of the dirty bird and its larger cousin. To say I'm sick of chicken and turkey is an understatement. As a matter of fact, if I saw a chicken cross the road I'd flatten that fu(&er to the thickness of cellophane. Maybe a few forward and reverse cycles to get that done and so what. Then I'd look at the greasy road stain, laugh my ass off and spit on it before driving off. I know that makes me sound nuts.
Spring is almost here and soon I'll be catching the red drum for food and pleasure. [emoji2]

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

MattiJ
03-26-2017, 05:16 PM
due to the fact that I'm allergic to mammalian meat. This comes from getting bit by many ticks and chiggers I am told. Therefore red meat causes an anaphylaxis reaction that is bad news.

That's intresting. My dad became badly allergic to any sort of fish after getting too many stings from perch spikes. Nowadays he can eat fish again but it took about 10 years.