X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benjaminh
    • Mar 2017

Drip vs. Wick Oilers for Lathe

I'm making oilers for one of my lathes that is missing them, and would like to get opinions on which type people prefer, drip or wick oilers? What are the pros and cons of each type?
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

If the lathe can use drip oilers, they are more controllable in amount of oil provided.

But.......

What IS the machine?

What was the machine designed to use?

If you think you have a choice, then presumable the oilers are above, and the choice is between a valve type drip oiler and a wick that does the dripping. Either will work, but as mentioned the valve drip type is controllable. The wick type depends on the oil, the wick size and material, how clogged the wick is with old petrified oil, etc. A too-large wick of the wrong material may flood the bearing.

There are also wick type oilers that have the wick lead oil UP from a reservoir below. Those do not tend to flood the bearing if the wick is wrongly sized
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• benjaminh
      • Mar 2017

OK, that answers my question. I forgot that a wick oiler isn't adjustable, lol.

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by benjaminh View Post
        OK, that answers my question. I forgot that a wick oiler isn't adjustable, lol.
        It SORT OF is.....

The level of oil adjusts the rate to some extent.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
        X