Yesterday was just "one of those days", not really OT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loose nut
    • Sep 2006

Yesterday was just "one of those days", not really OT.

I have been fixing up the lawn mower to get a few more years out of it. 4 HP Briggs and Stratton engine, at least 25 years old and runs great. First I put new wheels on it, the bearings in the old ones where shot and had to repair one of the axles, bent but that's what the lathe is for. Add a new blade and it will run like new.

Then I needed to patch a couple of places on the deck that rusted through. This is where things went south. First off I'm not really set up to form sheet metal patches with compound curves so that was a problem, then I tinned the patch and the area on the deck so that I could solder it on. For some reason I couldn't get the solder to take??? At this point I managed to stick my finger into the flame of the propane torch. Found out I really can dance. Nice second degree burns down my right index finger. Now I decided it is only a lawn mower, screw what it looks like, so I would just rivet it on. On the second rivet the riveting tool broke.

Miller time. I don't drink alcohol, well I didn't.

P.S. I had some "water gel", burn treatment, a sealed pouch that has a small dressing in it soaked in "something" that instantly kills the pain. Good item for the shop.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada
  • lakeside53
    • Nov 2007

owwww....

Reminds me of the time I made a 2 inch puddle of hot glue.... then promptly put my hand palm down into it. Tried thrusting my hand into the toilet by it just clung and burned. Pulled the skin off in large area. Took months to heal - almost had to have a skin graft.

Comment

• metalmagpie
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
      owwww....

Reminds me of the time I made a 2 inch puddle of hot glue.... then promptly put my hand palm down into it. Tried thrusting my hand into the toilet by it just clung and burned. Pulled the skin off in large area. Took months to heal - almost had to have a skin graft.
      His burn was first degree. Yours was probably second.

Comment

• ahidley
        • Feb 2005

Ahhh it's just a flesh wound, it'll heal

Comment

• boslab
          • Dec 2007

As well as water gel, get some cling film, it's great for wrapping up burns to keep them clean, whilst still allowing cooling with water, we had rolls of it in all the first aid boxes in the steel plant, I've found out how useful it is a few times, I tried the freeze spray too, it does work if used sparingly, reduces the pain a fair bit, took the palm off my hand once, it worked.
          Burns hurt!
          Mark

Comment

• Mike Amick
            • Jun 2012

I was camping one time and walking around with one of those coleman type lanterns. The thing got so hot
            that it was swinging back and forth, and it actually swung up and STUCK/melted to my arm.

Burns are the worse.

OH .. thanks for the water-gel info .. looks good.
            John Titor, when are you.

Comment

• Mcostello
              • Apr 2001

Worked with a fellow that slipped and put His hand into a hot glue pot used for sealing cartons automatically. Up to the wrist. Box is as big as 2 toasters and the lid was propped open. No damage after it healed.
              mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

• Mike Nash
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                P.S. I had some "water gel", burn treatment, a sealed pouch that has a small dressing in it soaked in "something" that instantly kills the pain. Good item for the shop.
                Do you happen to know the brand? If something works it's nice to get the one that does and not its crappy knock-off.

Your lawn mower sounds like the vehicles I refuse to put down. Sure I can afford a new one, but I don't want one.

Comment

• lakeside53
                  • Nov 2007

hey, you're talking about my 1990 truck Some of my friends are on their 8th NEW car in the time I've owned this one.

Comment

• danlb
                    • Nov 2008

I did the coleman lantern thing when I was 12. We were going up to our tree house after dark and I stumbled on a root and fell face first. My right forearm fell across the lantern glass, leaving burn from wrist to elbow. It took 40 years for the scars to disappear.

It seems that cooling a burn within a second or two can sometimes seem to minimize the long term damage. A big splash of bacon grease on the arm left no burn. Does it really help? I don't want to test it.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Joel
                      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Mike Nash View Post
                      Do you happen to know the brand? If something works it's nice to get the one that does and not its crappy knock-off.
                      Water Jel is the brand name.
                      Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Product fact sheet:

Last edited by Joel; 04-05-2017, 10:51 PM. Reason: Added Link

Comment

• loose nut
                        • Sep 2006

The stuff I had was spelled "Water-Gel", it may be the same thing but spelling was changed or not. I don't know the Manufactures name, threw the packaging out. Sorry. The link Joel posted is probably good stuff anyway.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

• loose nut
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mcostello View Post
                          Worked with a fellow that slipped and put His hand into a hot glue pot used for sealing cartons automatically. Up to the wrist. Box is as big as 2 toasters and the lid was propped open. No damage after it healed.
                          The first year I worked in the refinery I was in the packaging plant. I worked on the can line, filling the old style oil cans, when the operator yelled over to the second guy that the hot melt glue, that was used to seal the boxes, wasn't working properly and to check the temp. He directly went over to the glue pot and stuck his finger in. Guess what? It was hot enough to plasticize his finger.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by danlb View Post

It seems that cooling a burn within a second or two can sometimes seem to minimize the long term damage. A big splash of bacon grease on the arm left no burn. Does it really help? I don't want to test it.

Dan
                            Absolutely true --- many a burn happens in the kitchen too where ice cubes are available within seconds,,, it does two things - it will take the pain away, and if acted upon quickly will keep the type of burn that separates the skin and forms a blister from happening,,, if your not by an ice box use cold running water, if your not by that lick it and wave it around,

iv had burns that within a millisecond that's my reaction --- finger in mouth and then swamp cooler effect, sounds silly but it helps - at least till you can get to the fridge or a faucet...

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
                              • Aug 2002

Yes straight under the cold water tap-faucet and grimace and put up with the almost freezing and painful water here in Scotland, even in summer time. Keep your painful part under for as long as you can Our water tastes beautiful too especially in tea in Parts of England it tastes like bleach I kid you not especially in LONDON . Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X