X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brian Rupnow
    • Mar 2008

Rockerblock I.C.--Something a little different-

And I do mean different. I want to machine something---but--Something I haven't seen or done before. This is destined to become a water-jacketed engine, 1" bore x 1.125" stroke. I have been casting around for something new to build, and I thought this up last night while fighting off my insomnia. A couple of hours spent on the CAD system this evening just to see if it could be done, and yes, it can. There will probably be many redesigns and changes along the way, but basically this is the overall framework I will stick to.
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-22-2017, 06:58 AM.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
  • OhioDesperado
    • Feb 2016

Possibly a very long stroke crank and a set of opposed pistons? Just thinking out loud.
    Neat design

Comment

• brian Rupnow
      • Mar 2008

And yes, I'm even toying with the idea of water-jet cut flywheels.
      Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-22-2017, 07:00 AM.
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• brian Rupnow
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by OhioDesperado View Post
        Possibly a very long stroke crank and a set of opposed pistons? Just thinking out loud.
        Neat design
        You're about 4 years too late for that. I built that engine and posted it here years ago.---Brian
        Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-07-2017, 11:09 AM.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• BCRider
          • Dec 2015

Brian, your idea of taking a break like you announced in the OHC engine thread clearly does not jive with what most of us consider "a break"....

I like the look of this. For hobby engines the more oscillating, wobbly or rotating pieces the better. And this design puts it all out on display. About the only way it could show off more action would be if you were to lay the works over on its side and have the flywheel underneath.... hmmmmmm.... it would sort of look like a mechanical spider with the splayed out legs to support the engine and still clear the flywheel. What'dya think? Not that you should change this one. Just generally.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• achtanelion
            • Jun 2011

I like it!

Looking at it though, I see the crazy possibility of putting the ?rocker arm? On some sort of a cammed arrangement, and getting variable compression. Not necessarily cause it needs it, just cause it'd be cool.

I assume, with the crank so nice and close to the head that it'll be an OHC design?

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
              • May 2006

It's cool - no reason in the world it should not work and I agree with BC when it comes to hobby engines the more extravagant links to get the job done the better...

This engine does have a unique advantage over a standard piston engine Brian,,, you no longer have to put the piston skirts through the radical loading that's accompanied by the crank angles,,,

You also have the option of drastically altering the compression stroke piston speed in comparison to the power stroke piston speed, could be something fun to play with...

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                • May 2006

Originally posted by achtanelion View Post
                I like it!

Looking at it though, I see the crazy possibility of putting the ?rocker arm? On some sort of a cammed arrangement, and getting variable compression. Not necessarily cause it needs it, just cause it'd be cool.
                That is a great observation, centrifugal mechanical weights that eccentrically up the ante on the comprendo ratio as RPM's increase - of course load sensitive linked to the throttle control and output shaft --- oops now were getting fancy lol

Comment

• lakeside53
                  • Nov 2007

how about a wankel?

Comment

• MattiJ
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    how about a wankel?
                    How about http://imgur.com/gallery/bxzeN

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                      • Mar 2008

Well Sir, This is getting exciting. I love it when a plan begins to come together.

Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                        • May 2006

One of the most handiest places to stick a cam for sure, no pushrods needed.

Engines got some good potentials for allot of things.

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                          • Mar 2008

Now my engine can breath in and breath out. Another hours work and it will have ignition.--And yes, it does even have pushrods.--Little short ones at that, with little swivels where they attach to the rockers to take out any binding.
                          Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• J Tiers
                            • Jan 2004

Looks good.

A friend of mine likes old engines just as I do (same guy the lathe got restored for. He's been using it). For him, the more "parts going in different directions" (his words) the better. I thought of something like that when I was considering making an engine for him. Like an old rocking beam engine turned on its side. (We ended up giving him an antique outboard at his retirement party, as a restoration project)

Now I have to come up with one that has even more complex parts and movement!
                            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                              Now my engine can breath in and breath out. Another hours work and it will have ignition.--And yes, it does even have pushrods.--Little short ones at that, with little swivels where they attach to the rockers to take out any binding.
                              I see now that the extra parts are added - it's cool as it's almost a cross between OHC and conventional --- if you put the adjusters on the valve side and just ran a ramp rocker on the other side you could eliminate the pushrods and it would really be approaching a hybrid,
                              or run shim and buckets on the ramp side for adjustment and it's almost got everything that a OHC does - or I should say doesn't - it's something that the unique crank position allows you to do is create a hybrid valvetrain of sorts...

this is going to be one cool engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X