PDA

View Full Version : Major tool purchases... WHOO HOOO.....

ibewgypsie
08-07-2004, 06:17 PM
I got the giggles like a lil girl.. Bought for my own use a scotchman ironworker-shear,angle-punch $520
INdex cnc milling machine w/KwikSwitch 200 tooling, roll around cart,Rigid pipe machine, Two dozen pipe dies (for machine), A hydraulic bender,Hydraulic electrical crimp tool, Hydraulic power pack, PVC conduit bender oven, Plus a hundred other small tools.

Niagra 10' shear I can get someone (someone else bought it for quick resale) AND 10' De?? brake..... and scotchman hole punch.

I have been lusting after the ironworker now for over six months to help with our fab shop.

A horizontal milling machine went for $30.. A southbend 16 lathe for 120, a cinncinatti lathe went for 300.. the other milling machine went for 400, 12" magnetic vise and rotary indexer went for 80 (I missed that one)...

The trick, there was 5 auctions today in my area spreading out the money.

As soon as the "SHOP truck" gets unloaded I am going to have a beer.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-09-2005).]

Mark Jones
08-07-2004, 06:26 PM
lol ..
and you Americans were saying only two weeks ago that you were jealous
of us Brits getting the bargains
well done Dave.

speedy
08-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Dave, those prices sound like a gift even allowing for the exchange rate. Could you let me know when the next windfall auctions are taking place, purchase on my behalf and arrange the freight to me, at your own expense http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif ha ha. Were they liquidation auctions or old stock? We aren`t having that many engineerig auctions over here these days. So I notice you have a liking for Wild Turkey? Well I have a bottle in the cupboard that has sat there hidden for the last 20 odd years. The now long dead b/inlaw gave it to me for a gift and I promised myself it would be cracked on my 50th,in July, well in the excitement of the day it was overlooked so Nov 30th is the 30th wedding anniversary and it wont last past then. A good mate of mine tells me it will have deteriorated and I should gift it to him ; is he winding me up? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ken New Zealand

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 08-07-2004).]

John Stevenson
08-07-2004, 07:29 PM
IBEW, What controller on the Index CNC?

------------------
John S.
Nottingham, England

ibewgypsie
08-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I think it is a centroid..

It works great.. I ran a few codes on it..

Servo drive.. whoo hoo.. if that was just on my bridgey..

On my first celerbration beer.. Truck is still loaded..

ibewgypsie
08-07-2004, 07:50 PM
I worked for this company building mixing machines way back yonder..

I never heard of index, much less remember them. They kept me on a airplane anyways..

I got a world traveling job offer today. I have to think about it.. I came home once and found a guy wearing one of my shirts sitting on my couch, drinking my whiskey.. I ran him off then her.. I got Carrol now, she is a good one but I would hate to leave her alone..

ibewgypsie
08-07-2004, 07:51 PM
I felt so bad buying these tools so cheap causd I used to work for this outfit, but I paid more then anyone else wanted to for them.. things like milwaukee portabands going for 25...

I apologized to him and shook his hand and asked him if he was alright.. If he drank I would have took him out for a good one..

rockrat
08-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Three different posts in 5 min. You are way too happy. That means you'll have to give some of your new goodies to me, then you'll be back to your old self again. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Congrats on the new gear.

speedy
08-07-2004, 10:16 PM
I will never lend my shirt to anyone again Dave. A good woman can be hard to find, when you do get one you have to hold on. I found one of my own a while back, she`s still putting up with me http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif. Your advice on Wild Turkey bourbon please, does it age well?

Ken NZ

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 08-07-2004).]

ibewgypsie
08-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Speedy,,

Unless it has congealed to a pudding it is fine.

Wish you were here, we'd hit a shot.. or two, or.. Mine is okay, I put the christmas present whiskey into the fridge to cool.. the turkey is good any temp..

When I go to shooting turkey and chasing it with beer things get interesting around here. Ain't nothing like a 290lb, rude, prank pulling, kid in the house to liven things up. I think that is what endeared Carrol to me, it sure ain't my good looks.

------------------

wierdscience
08-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Good deal,occasionally you hit one just right.

Hey my cousin got one of those traviln roadshow type jobs,they offered and he said yes,on one condition-he was able to take his lady along,they took him up on it,after all,an extra plane ticket don't cost them much,and she got to see the world with her oldman,still paid good and enough menories to last several lifetimes.

ibewgypsie
08-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Weird:

I got on the airplane one day after my son was born, next time I was home during the day He was walking. Service tech jobs are the most unrewarding careers ever.

I remember not seeing any country except for driving to the plants.. dark when I got off. ALways behind.. Always another broken machine to fix. *about talked myself out of it.

------------------

J. Randall
08-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Speedy, it just gets better with age. A little story for proof, in 1954 here in NW Oklahoma they caught our local moonshiner and poured out 700 gallons of good stuff. He was getting 10 dollars a gal. and selling it as far away as chicago. He is no longer with us, but his son-in-law was having a little dirt work done on the old place this summer, and they spotted a glass jug rolling ahead of the dozer blade. They started watching and recovered 3 full gallons. When asked if it was any good, he said it was as smooth as Crown Royal. James

speedy
08-08-2004, 04:58 AM
That`s good news boys now I can do a couple of things. The first will be to call up Terry and tell him he`s out of luck cos I`ve had advice from experts, then invite him to the anniversary hooly where we`ll all get legless or should that be leglesser as I`m a bit legless as it is? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Dave, if its congealed I shall just add more bourbon or should I just spread it on my BBQ steaks? Life is for living and nothing much betters lying next to a smooth, nice scented, loving woman, certainly not crappy motel living. Hauling out on the bike and running the highway on the bike with good friends was always on par though!

see ya
Ken NZ

John Stevenson
08-08-2004, 06:14 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Weird:
I remember not seeing any country except for driving to the plants.. dark when I got off. ALways behind.. Always another broken machine to fix. *about talked myself out of it.
</font>

I went to Denmark once just before Christmas, cargo flight out as there were no commercial seats. Met at the aiport, taken to the job and left, Food and drink delivered every 6 hours. Three days there then cargo flight back.
Missed Christmas.

Worst thing is I have no idea where I went, can't find the place on any maps and don't even know what airport we went to for an idea.

Like onee of those TV shows where the ailians abduct you, 5 lost days in total.

------------------
John S.
Nottingham, England

ibewgypsie
08-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Speedy:
blasting down the blacktop with friends is okay, if you stop at bars along the way and you are a big guy, well the friends start things and look over thier shoulder for you to pull them out of something they can't finish, I usually ride alone these days.

John: Exactly the same here, even once worked a block from the nude beach in California and never saw it. Hollywood, all the same.. Sometimes they would have a rental car waiting on me, othertimes I had to provide my own way and expect to get reimbursed. I finally explained to them if I invested money in thier jobs I wanted more return on my money.
AND THE AIRWAY miles, yes two of the secretarys went to Hawaii on my miles I never got to take advantage of them.

Evan
08-08-2004, 10:58 AM
23 years as a service rep. Stayed in far too many hotels to count. I know my way around most every large airport in North America. I used to spend in some years up to three months away from home. The one that sticks in my mind the most was the time that I had to go to Toronto for three weeks. It happened to coincide with our 25th wedding anniversary. While there I took time on the day before our 25th to order by phone a dozen roses delivered to the desk of my wife the next day at her place of work. The next evening I called her. After a few minutes of conversation with no mention of the roses I had to ask if anything special had happened that day. Answer; "No." I asked then; "No roses?". "No roses."

The next day I called the florist back home and queried them as to what happened? After a couple of minutes they came back on and told me the order was still pinned to the board and they had forgotten to fill it. Now, if it were actually possible to reach through a telephone and grab someone by their scrawny little neck and choke the life out of them I would have. They offered to deliver them the next day. #@#$@ &*(*(&^ *&^&^$%^.

ibewgypsie
08-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Evan:

Same here, I had a electricians apprentice that refused to stay over ten hours a day. He refused to work one weekend. When asked the reason why he said it was his anniversary.

He is still married to the same woman.. I of course have had several.

Money is not everything, but lack of it is pretty important.

Techtchr
08-08-2004, 08:32 PM
My brother recently turned down a teaching job at a university because he would have to travel. He is not a teacher (yet).I turned down a teaching job in Rochester because I would have to drive the "can of worms" as they call it for over a year. Upside is my wife and I had our 22nd aniversery this summer, and I think my brother is going on his 10th. Jobs come and go , but a good women (hopefully) comes along only once (maybe twice) in some peoples lives. Hey my wife is home By!
Matt

x39
08-08-2004, 11:03 PM
. two of the secretarys went to Hawaii on my miles I never got to take advantage of them.</font>

Which didn't you get to take advantage of, the miles, the secretaries, or either? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

ibewgypsie
08-09-2004, 01:26 AM
The beaches stole my miles X: I hear that is illegal, but they made the arrangements.

Rich women anyways.. the auction I went to Saturday was thier shop.. thier father retired to go racing and left his daughters in charge.

Didn't work out for them. Or him, he was quite depressed while they were auctioning off his life...

His words, Nothing stays the same forever.

x39
08-09-2004, 10:29 AM
His words, Nothing stays the same forever.</font>

Man, ain't that the truth. Looks like in the end you got your miles back and then some.

speedy
08-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Evan:

He is still married to the same woman.. I of course have had several.

Money is not everything, but lack of it is pretty important.

</font>

Hi Dave, money is important but pretty is even MORE important, especially if she knows you well

Ken NZ

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 08-11-2004).]