PDA

View Full Version : Hard Turning in a Knee Mill

Viperspit
04-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Has any one out there tried hard turning in a mill? If so, what inserts do you like best and what technique do you use? Here is a YouTube video showing the inserts and technique I use. Hard Turning on a Acer Mill - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHmF9jNYgY

Steve

Toolguy
04-23-2017, 10:45 AM
No video...

Viperspit
04-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Toolguy, I edited the post with a link to the video.

steve

Jaakko Fagerlund
04-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Whatever works on a lathe, like CBN inserts or ceramics of various kinds. I've been using mainly Kennametals DNGA inserts for hard turning.

Magicniner
04-23-2017, 06:02 PM
I've turned milling arbours in the mill, a spindle is a spindle, you just need to work out how to hold the cutter and the work, turning on a mill/milling on a lathe, it's about not being bound by rigid teaching which might suggest there is a problem in working things out logically for yourself :D

Viperspit
04-23-2017, 06:43 PM
I've turned milling arbours in the mill, a spindle is a spindle, you just need to work out how to hold the cutter and the work, turning on a mill/milling on a lathe, it's about not being bound by rigid teaching which might suggest there is a problem in working things out logically for yourself :D

I agree, I too have used the mill for simple turning.

Steve

Edwin Dirnbeck
04-23-2017, 09:41 PM
I have made complicated mold core pins on a cnc mill when no cnc lathe was available.Great for multiple parts ,just made simple handmade 10 or 15 line programs. Edwin Dirnbeck

pinstripe
04-24-2017, 11:11 AM
Steve, thanks for posting the video. The "gage block in the quill stop" is something I haven't seen before. I watched all your videos, and learned something from each one. Nice looking shop too.

Viperspit
04-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Steve, thanks for posting the video. The "gage block in the quill stop" is something I haven't seen before. I watched all your videos, and learned something from each one. Nice looking shop too.

Thanks pinstripe,

It is encouraging to know other are benefiting. We hope to add 2 video each week. Next week I hope to have one on surface grinding thin parts flat using paper.

Steve