PDA

View Full Version : Grinding thin plates flat using paper towels

Viperspit
04-30-2017, 05:55 AM
Here is a technique my father showed me many years ago to get thin parts flat on the surface grinder with the use of paper towels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT84xVLY8Ug
I have used thin strips of rubber in the past but I like paper towels better. What are some of the methods you guys use?

DR
04-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Looks like an interesting method. I'll try it sometime. My grinder doesn't have an adjustment on holding force though.

When I've had quantities of small parts needing extreme precision on parallelism I send them to a local shop with a double disc grinder to do both sides simultaneously. Before grinding the parts have to stress relieved. Double disc grinding can be an inexpensive method to get small parts square and parallel.

Jaakko Fagerlund
04-30-2017, 09:02 AM
Feeler gauge stock by the meter in different thicknesses near the grinder, startin from aluminum foil up to 0.3 mm thick, it is easy to set any part on the table with the concave side down, then slide feeler stock under it till it stops rocking and turn on the magnet. Even easier when the table magnet has adjustment in it.

Other option is an ice chuck, you put your part on it, wet the chuck with water, turn the air supply on and wait a minute for it to freeze and grind away. This is the best solution for small parts that are awkward to hold or too small to hold in a magnet chuck and guarantees a flat surface every time.

JoeLee
04-30-2017, 04:38 PM
That was interesting, never saw that trick before. I've always clamped the part in my grinding vise and ground the high spot out, then set it on the chuck and finish the other side.
I don't have an electro magnetic chuck but I can vary the pull just by partially pulling the lever.

JL...................

wierdscience
04-30-2017, 04:47 PM
I've used candle wax,drip some on the magnet and stick the part down while it's liquid.

Good tip using paper towels though,I'll have to remember that one.

And Subscribed-

Tim The Grim
05-01-2017, 12:31 AM
We used to use wet newspaper.