PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail on outside of cross slide?

pinstripe
05-04-2017, 12:04 PM
754 said this in the "Is it ok to move gibs to the other side of the compound?" thread

My bigger lathe has two sets of dovetails on the crossslide, one inside and one set outside !

I assume he is talking about something like this. Ignore the yellow pole, it's a photo from another thread. There is a dovetail on either side of the cross slide. Does anyone know why they go to the trouble of machining it in?

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r491/pinstripe2/HSM/LatheSkyHook_zpsdmtkylmo.jpg

TGTool
05-04-2017, 12:06 PM
That's to mount a traveling steady or perhaps another rear mounted tool.

05-04-2017, 12:17 PM
I think I see the follow rest mount bolts. In my manual it shows. Drilling attachment, rear mount parting, and I think something else, that mount on the dovetail.

pinstripe
05-04-2017, 12:17 PM
The two bolts directly below the yellow pole are for the steady. A rear-mounted tool is a possibility though.

754, what lathe do you have? My manual makes no mention of it.

05-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Does it have the hardened crosslide ? It looks like built the same as mine, but maybe smaller ?mine is 16 in swing, the saddle is wider on mine, and it has7.5hp 2speed motor.

pinstripe
05-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Similar size. It's a Hwacheon HL-460. Should be almost identical to one of the Mori Seiki models. 18" swing, just under 7.5 hp.

I have no idea if the cross slide is hardened. Does yours say it's hardened, or did you try to file it?

kitno455
05-04-2017, 12:39 PM
It is for a rear-mounted toolpost.

allan

05-04-2017, 12:54 PM
I bought it new, they told me it was hardened. Think there is a bit of blue from flame hardenng at the ends.
25 years later..no scratching or grooves in it.
I looked, yours is a lot different, maybe more like Mazak. Do you have 2 Spd tailstock, they are nice.
Mine is a Chin Hung 16 x67 , I forget the metric size, got it from Thomas Skinner & Sons in Vancouver BC.

Lew Hartswick
05-04-2017, 12:56 PM
That's to mount a traveling steady or perhaps another rear mounted tool.
Yep! I've made several other "devices" (besides the follow rest) that clamp to those grooves. A rear mounted cutoff is one that works good.
Those look just like the ones on the Clausing/Metosas at school.
...lew...

becksmachine
05-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Yep! I've made several other "devices" (besides the follow rest) that clamp to those grooves. A rear mounted cutoff is one that works good.
...lew...

Hey Lew,

There must be a good reason that I can't think of, can you tell me the advantage of mounting a follow rest on the cross slide instead of the saddle?

Thanks, Dave

pinstripe
05-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Thanks all. I couldn't find a photo of an original accessory that mounts to the dovetail, but I did find an example of a shop-built accessory for line boring on the cross slide. Some info and links to photos on this page http://www.eurospares.com/lathes.htm

I looked, yours is a lot different, maybe more like Mazak. Do you have 2 Spd tailstock, they are nice.

Definitely based off the Mori, but maybe they copied off Mazak? The two-speed tailstock has its own thread here :)
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/69955-Found-use-for-neutral-position-in-two-speed-tailstock

There must be a good reason that I can't think of, can you tell me the advantage of mounting a follow rest on the cross slide instead of the saddle?

I think he was saying that he has built the other stuff, but not a follow rest. If you mounted the rest to the cross slide, then you would have to use the compound for all the cuts.

Rich Carlstedt
05-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Pinstripe sort of beat me to the punch. The Dovetail allows for several attachments.
A boring table being a very important one as well as a milling attachment.
I have the same dovetail on the cross-slide of my 12" Atlas Clausing 6300 Lathe
Rich

Lew Hartswick
05-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Hey Lew,

Thanks, Dave
Well you can position it a LOT easier. And the "saddle doesn't have any nice flat surfaces that I can find on our lathes. :-)
...lew...