PDA

View Full Version : collet type

tew45
05-08-2017, 12:16 AM
I have a small horizontal bench mill that uses an odd collet that looks similar to a Cincinnati C2 but is smaller but larger than a C1. The spindle bore is probably .625 and uses a spindle nut to tighten. The collet tool size is 1/4 to 1/2 max. They are used on a Jefferson horizontal bench mill. Please help find the type of collet.

mars-red
05-08-2017, 08:59 AM
I have a small horizontal bench mill that uses an odd collet that looks similar to a Cincinnati C2 but is smaller but larger than a C1. The spindle bore is probably .625 and uses a spindle nut to tighten. The collet tool size is 1/4 to 1/2 max. They are used on a Jefferson horizontal bench mill. Please help find the type of collet.

If you could put up a photo of one of the collets with something next to it of known size to show scale, that would help a lot. I don't know of any collet with a body diameter of 0.625", but we might be talking about Jarno, Morse, or B&S taper collets rather than a steeper angle type with a straight body.

metalmagpie
05-08-2017, 11:08 AM
3C collets I believe have 0.650" bodies. There was also an Atlas version, the 3AT series. I have a whole bag of those in front of me which I have no use for.

Post a pic. If you need what I have this might be your lucky day. :-)

metalmagpie

tew45
05-08-2017, 09:37 PM
I will try to get a photo on next week if I can. The collets look exactly like a Cincinnati C2 except for the size.
It will fit a .625 bore and tapers out to .880 and 1.822 long. I will get a comparison when I can find my wifes camera.

tew45
05-08-2017, 09:53 PM
You are most likely correct! I was looking at CH series collets where the CH2 is .910. I am having trouble finding extra collets to replace missing. I am trying to piece together a vertical setup for the Jefferson and one for my Atlas. I haven't checked the Atlas in a few years and will probably need help on that one also. I should have done this when I still had a brain that worked. I have retired for the 4th time and hope to spend more time in the shop. All of my tools are old but do a very good job when I am right. Thank you very much for your help.

DarkLord
05-08-2017, 10:00 PM
3C collets I believe have 0.650" bodies. There was also an Atlas version, the 3AT series. I have a whole bag of those in front of me which I have no use for.

Post a pic. If you need what I have this might be your lucky day. :-)

metalmagpie

I need to get some 3AT collets for my Atlas lathe. I have the 3AT adaptor, draw bar, and the milling attachment, but I don't have any collets. I just recently got laid off at work so I'm crazy poor right now. Any chance you'll sell one at a time...like one collet every other week? I need to get some of those at some point. If not, I totally understand...I'll get some another time.

tew45
05-09-2017, 10:59 AM
I found a camera and made a couple of photos but photobucket and I do not get along. On upload I got an unexpected error which will not go away. I have two Atlas lathes but have never thought I could use collets. If they are priced in my comfort area I would try them. I also have a nearly complete vertical attachment that uses morris taper collets but I can make them. If I ever get photobucket and me on the same page I will send photos. Also the C series collets I have seen recently are to be used with a draw bar and the ones I use are too short and do not have threads on the rear. I will keep on and on!

tew45
05-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Photobucket is still bad for me, but I think the collets are the Cincinnati A series. I think I can modify the spindle to work with the ER series collets. Still looking!