PDA

View Full Version : I think I got a deal on some drill bits

alanganes
05-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Saw a Craigslist ad yesterday from what turned out to be a retired machinist selling off some stuff. So I stopped by and came home with three Huot cabinets full of drill bits.

One each in letter A-Z, number 1-60, and fractions 1/16-1/2 by 1/16's. Pretty much every slot has at least a few bits, some of the smaller one have lots. A little over 1100 bit in all, a mix of jobber and machine tool length. Some are used but probably 80 % are brand new. All look to be good quality usa made, no cheap hardware store types here that I can see.

I paid asking price of $685 for the whole lot. So I didn't steal them but probably paid about 25% of new cost. Slight bit of overkill perhaps but things aligned that I had the money available and the deal presented itself. I should be fixed drill bits for a while.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/4b44893d05eab3055a4057c881d9b6d5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/c846da27e10aea10a44ea02610fb8055.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/bd5bf95c161281ef675e2de99f88eb93.jpg

Mcgyver
05-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Murphy says all drilling from now on will be $49, #59 and H.

Nice addition. I picked up a set awhile ago, fraction and #'s only, missing letters. Its a good way to organize drill bits (I hate a drawer full of loose drill bits). Don't throw out the set indexes, I still keep index sets at DP and Lathe ....trying for efficiency in having things at hand.

Toolguy
05-13-2017, 09:32 AM
That is the drill bit setup I have, plus several fold out indexes. You will never be sorry for that purchase.

J Tiers
05-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Put the drawers in the "tool crib". Fill the indexes from the drawers. As drills get dull, replace them out of the drawers. Dull ones go to the "resharpen" bin, and when sharpened, go back to the drawers.

A deal? Yes... Average price of the drills is probably about $2.50. Some considerably more, some less. The drawer sets are about $80 per.

alanganes
05-13-2017, 09:39 AM
Murphy says all drilling from now on will be $49, #59 and H.

Nice addition. I picked up a set awhile ago, fraction and #'s only, missing letters. Its a good way to organize drill bits (I hate a drawer full of loose drill bits). Don't throw out the set indexes, I still keep index sets at DP and Lathe ....trying for efficiency in having things at hand.

Funny you say that about needing a #49, 59 or H, it was the same thought I had. I figured that I'll just keep my indexes for the most common sizes and just try to use these as "stock" to keep the indexes full as I either break one or sharpen it down to a useless stub. It may not work with my general lack of self-discipline but if I don't at least try, I'll end up with bins full of bits, all of them dull.

Alistair Hosie
05-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Man I would gladly repeat gladly give you $2000.00 of his lordships hard earned for that, we don't need to trouble him about his approval he is always busy send it to me in Bonnie Scotland with his approval or without. After all I am his bestest pal. Also George said it would be fine. Now wrap them all up in hundred dollar bills and send of to Big Al Scotlands most honest man . Alistair

KiddZimaHater
05-13-2017, 01:41 PM
I hope that set has both Letter 'E' and 1/4" drills. ;)

garyhlucas
05-13-2017, 02:10 PM
I have the Huot master index with letter, number and fractional sizes. I rented space from a guy who bought a Darex M500 sharpener just to get a grinder with a CBN wheel. He didn't know how to sharpen drills with it. So I demonstrated by sharpening every drill in my master index!

metalmagpie
05-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Funny you say that about needing a #49, 59 or H, it was the same thought I had. I figured that I'll just keep my indexes for the most common sizes and just try to use these as "stock" to keep the indexes full as I either break one or sharpen it down to a useless stub. It may not work with my general lack of self-discipline but if I don't at least try, I'll end up with bins full of bits, all of them dull.

Time for you to start thinking about a Black Diamond or Darex M5, about the same price range. I have both and both work well for me. Too bad you aren't local to Western Washington state because there is a Black Diamond 2B on CL in Seattle for under $600.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/6127637382.html

and no, it isn't me sellnig the machine!

metalmagpie

Tundra Twin Track
05-13-2017, 10:17 PM
Very nice,never have to many!!!

MichaelP
05-14-2017, 12:46 AM
At this price point you don't win the You Suck Award, but it's a fair deal for both, you and, especially, the retired gentleman. I assume the drills are made by reputable manufacturers.

Enjoy your purchase!

alanganes
05-14-2017, 08:01 AM
There is something about having what you need or want on hand when you need it that appeals to me. There are a few industrial suppliers around here that I can go to and get good quality bits and such, but having to go and buy a few of any size I may need at a time as needed annoys me. Spoiled I guess.

The guy did say he priced them at ~25% of catalog price in hopes that they would sell to someone who would actually use them rather than resell them or whatever. He even included a spreadsheet listing sizes, quantities of each (broken down by jobber and stub length) with catalog price and his asking price. They were all pretty accurate for what I looked at. Any large enough to read easily that I checked say "USA" and he commented that he bought most of these in the 70's when China was not selling stuff here and "Made in Japan" was still considered a synonym for "low quality junk." The vast majority of these are unused, and the most commonly used sizes have more bits in the bins. All very logical.

I did not think it quite rose to the level of an actual tool gloat, but it did jump out at me as being too good to pass up. In any event, it struck me as a fair deal for both of us. I hate haggling on prices, if someone is selling something and it is worth what they are asking to me, I just pay it and we both leave happy.

Magpie, I do have a Darex, I have the M4 and a point splitter and one diamond wheel that I pieced together over a few years along with an old grinder. So I have essentially an M5 that I find pretty effective and most useful. I have not mastered doing really small bits with it, though I have not tried all that hard as they are generally easier to just replace when the get really dull or break or just touch up by hand if they are not in too bad shape. I do wish I had the 1/2-3/4 chuck for it, but they consistently sell for more than I'm willing to spend. So if I work this as JT says above and sort of keep after sharpening them as needed, I may just have a lifetime supply here.

alanganes
05-14-2017, 08:08 AM
Man I would gladly repeat gladly give you $2000.00 of his lordships hard earned for that, we don't need to trouble him about his approval he is always busy send it to me in Bonnie Scotland with his approval or without. After all I am his bestest pal. Also George said it would be fine. Now wrap them all up in hundred dollar bills and send of to Big Al Scotlands most honest man . Alistair

Alistair, remember that I live in "New England" and the last time the King tried to trick us on goods sold, we tossed a bunch of tea into the harbor. Started a big mess...

:)

Axkiker
05-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Why in the world would anyone with a home shop need that?

:cool::cool::cool: In my garage I have 5 hout cabinets..... taps / endmills / letter / number / fractional drills LOL.

We have issues HAHAHAHAHAH

garyhlucas
05-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Magpie,
I got a Black Diamond from the junkyard! It had every collet from 1/16" to 3/4" none were missing. Two things wrong, the splitter casting was broken, and the main bushing that holds the chuck was sloppy. But then I paid $189 for it, and the factory had the parts for another $300. The price for this model was about $7500, so not too bad a deal.

alanganes
05-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Why in the world would anyone with a home shop need that?

:cool::cool::cool: In my garage I have 5 hout cabinets..... taps / endmills / letter / number / fractional drills LOL.

We have issues HAHAHAHAHAH

HA! If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand...

And being that you are two cabinets ahead of me, clearly I am the "normal" one here.

:)

Juergenwt
05-15-2017, 12:41 AM
You could have bought a metric drill set 1-10mm by 0.1mm and 10-13mm by 0,5 mm and have all the sizes you will ever need and a lot cheaper. Instead you paid for many drills that are exactly the same size or just 0.001" to 0.002" apart. Why would anybody buy # drills, letter drills and fractional drill sets. If you need a metric tap drill for a inch size tap than get a metric tap drill chart for inch threads just like you have a inch tap drill chart. Now you have a lot of drills. Hope you have a lot of holes to drill. Absolutely wasted money.
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-metric.htm

alanganes
05-15-2017, 07:26 AM
You could have bought a metric drill set 1-10mm by 0.1mm and 10-13mm by 0,5 mm and have all the sizes you will ever need and a lot cheaper. Instead you paid for many drills that are exactly the same size or just 0.001" to 0.002" apart. Why would anybody buy # drills, letter drills and fractional drill sets. If you need a metric tap drill for a inch size tap than get a metric tap drill chart for inch threads just like you have a inch tap drill chart. Now you have a lot of drills. Hope you have a lot of holes to drill. Absolutely wasted money.

That's an interesting approach, though I don't ever recall any commercial machine shop I've been in substituting the closest metric sized bit for every hole they need to drill. But it does make some sense if you are trying to minimize the total number of bits you keep, and it's an approach that never occurred to me.

But that aside, while what you outline certainly would work, the main reason I bought this instead was that nobody was offering to sell me a bunch of metric sets like you describe for a fraction of retail cost. A quick look seems to say that to buy the sets you outline would cost me maybe 4-500 bucks or more to get one bit of each size in indexes.

Are there some sizes I won't use? No doubt there are but, so what?. This is a hobby for me and as such "value" is very, very subjective. In strict terms every thing in my shop is wasted money as it rarely returns any monetary value for the investments made. That is by design. I never seek paying work, I have a full time job for that. I buy this stuff for the same reason I might buy a piece of artwork, a book, or a knickknack: just because I want it. When I use my wasted machines to make some doo-dad that my grandkids have a bunch of fun with, I get more than enough return to offset the "absolutely wasted money" I have sunk into my shop. These are just another piece of that. No waste at all from where I stand.

I guess the flip side is that with that chart you linked to I'll never need to buy a metric tap drill, I'll just use the fractional, letter or number drill called out on the chart.

wdtom44
05-15-2017, 09:23 AM
You could get your drills for "free" if you put together some sets and put them in indexes and sell them. Even if you had to buy a few drills for the sizes you have none or few of you could make back enough to probably pay for your drills and still have a complete set of a few spares each.

Axkiker
05-15-2017, 12:01 PM
I dont consider drill bits to be a waste of money. The broken jet ski I bought to fix that still has yet to be worked on was a waste. The boat I was working on and have yet to finish would be a waste.

I know all about waste lol

J Tiers
05-15-2017, 01:14 PM

While I have LOT of drills, and paid far less than the OP for them (but did not get any fancy index drawers), I think the "wasted money" is a silly comment. And there is a good deal less close overlap than you seem to think. Yes, many small drills in the under 1 mm area differ by small amounts, but as a percentage of diameter it looks a bit different.

Then also, when considering standard thread sizes, a couple thou can make rather a large difference in thread percentage in the higher TPI pitches that go with those sizes. Consider a 2-56 thread, for instance. The pitch itself is only a half mm. So a tenth of a mm difference is rather a large engagement percentage difference.

metalmagpie
05-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Magpie, I do have a Darex, I have the M4 and a point splitter and one diamond wheel that I pieced together over a few years along with an old grinder. So I have essentially an M5 that I find pretty effective and most useful. I have not mastered doing really small bits with it, though I have not tried all that hard as they are generally easier to just replace when the get really dull or break or just touch up by hand if they are not in too bad shape. I do wish I had the 1/2-3/4 chuck for it, but they consistently sell for more than I'm willing to spend..

A year ago Darex still had a few of the 1/2-3/4" chucks in stock, new, my price was $284 including shipping. A whole lot cheaper than ebay. I use the heck out of it too. It is well worth reading the section in their manual that talks about occasionally opening up their chucks, blowing them out and lightly lubricating them. Once they sieze they are often scrap. And they aren't making any more so we have to take care of the ones we have.

metalmagpie

metalmagpie
05-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Magpie,
I got a Black Diamond from the junkyard! It had every collet from 1/16" to 3/4" none were missing. Two things wrong, the splitter casting was broken, and the main bushing that holds the chuck was sloppy. But then I paid $189 for it, and the factory had the parts for another $300. The price for this model was about $7500, so not too bad a deal.

They had the point splitter casting? They sure don't anymore, sigh. You got very lucky. And as far as point splitting, with care it can be done well by hand, much easier than correctly grinding the drill itself. So I'll try to get along without it. Your 3B can also do drills up to 3/4" and my 2B can only go up to 1/2". So for damn sure you suck bigtime!

metalmagpie

alanganes
05-15-2017, 06:52 PM
A year ago Darex still had a few of the 1/2-3/4" chucks in stock, new, my price was $284 including shipping. A whole lot cheaper than ebay. I use the heck out of it too. It is well worth reading the section in their manual that talks about occasionally opening up their chucks, blowing them out and lightly lubricating them. Once they sieze they are often scrap. And they aren't making any more so we have to take care of the ones we have.

metalmagpie

I do try to clean the chuck I have periodically. They do accumulate a lot of crud. I'm not doing the sort of volume that a real shop would do, so I expect this to last longer than I'll be needing it. I didn't know they still had some chucks but you're right that is less than I see them on ebay and such for when I bother to look. I am still thinking I may just set up fixturing to do four-facet grinds on my T&C grinder for the larger stuff and just sidestep the whole issue. Yet another on the list of stuff to get to. All in good time I guess.

Juergenwt
05-15-2017, 08:23 PM
That's an interesting approach, though I don't ever recall any commercial machine shop I've been in substituting the closest metric sized bit for every hole they need to drill. But it does make some sense if you are trying to minimize the total number of bits you keep, and it's an approach that never occurred to me.

But that aside, while what you outline certainly would work, the main reason I bought this instead was that nobody was offering to sell me a bunch of metric sets like you describe for a fraction of retail cost. A quick look seems to say that to buy the sets you outline would cost me maybe 4-500 bucks or more to get one bit of each size in indexes.

Are there some sizes I won't use? No doubt there are but, so what?. This is a hobby for me and as such "value" is very, very subjective. In strict terms every thing in my shop is wasted money as it rarely returns any monetary value for the investments made. That is by design. I never seek paying work, I have a full time job for that. I buy this stuff for the same reason I might buy a piece of artwork, a book, or a knickknack: just because I want it. When I use my wasted machines to make some doo-dad that my grandkids have a bunch of fun with, I get more than enough return to offset the "absolutely wasted money" I have sunk into my shop. These are just another piece of that. No waste at all from where I stand.

I guess the flip side is that with that chart you linked to I'll never need to buy a metric tap drill, I'll just use the fractional, letter or number drill called out on the chart.

Enjoy your hobby and I hope your grand children will have a lot of fun using grandpa's toys.