X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flylo
    • Apr 2011

WTB Liquid Mercury/Quicksilver

Probably 5# or whatever you have & yes I know to be careful & have used it before. Thanks!
  • IanParkin
    • Mar 2013

Shame that
    I have 20 lbs that I'm wanting rid of
    Posting may be an issue

Ian

Comment

• ikdor
      • Aug 2009

Just to entertain our curiosity, what are you planning to do with it? Build a vacuum pump?

Comment

• Andre3127
        • Apr 2016

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
        Just to entertain our curiosity, what are you planning to do with it? Build a vacuum pump?
        Codys lab made a video about one. It's very slow, but highly energy efficient and can pull a "vacuum" equal to the vapor pressure of mercury.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

• 6PTsocket
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by flylo View Post
          Probably 5# or whatever you have & yes I know to be careful & have used it before. Thanks!
          They used to use it to smooth felt hats. The mercury did brain damage. That is where the expression " mad as a hatter" comes from and the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

• ikdor
            • Aug 2009

I doubt that flylo is starting a hat shop......

Comment

• 6PTsocket
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
              I doubt that flylo is starting a hat shop......
              I never suggested that he was; just that mercury toxicity is so well known that it has entered into the idiom. It's use has been substituted for something else almost everywhere it was used. It is however, still used in florescent bulbs. There is a tiny little bead of it rolling around loose and it vaporizes to get the lamp started. LEDs are replacing florescents

Comment

• garyhlucas
                • Mar 2013

A big use was in amalgam for tooth fillings. Likely half of older Americans have a mouthful.

Comment

• Frank K
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                  A big use was in amalgam for tooth fillings. Likely half of older Americans have a mouthful.
                  My dentist, who is fairly young, will still do amalgam fillings upon request in areas that are not cosmetically significant. However they come prepackaged in a crushable container so that there is no exposure to liquid mercury.

Comment

• danlb
                    • Nov 2008

Probably refining gold.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Seastar
                      • Jan 2005

I'll bet he is building a bomb.
                      It's used to refine unobtanium.
                      Bill
                      I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

• JoeLee
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by 6PTsocket View Post
                        They used to use it to smooth felt hats. The mercury did brain damage. That is where the expression " mad as a hatter" comes from and the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

I've heard of that before but I always wondered how do they smooth a felt hat with mercury ?? Rub it all over the hat with bare hands ??

Comment

• JoeLee
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Frank K View Post
                          My dentist, who is fairly young, will still do amalgam fillings upon request in areas that are not cosmetically significant. However they come prepackaged in a crushable container so that there is no exposure to liquid mercury.
                          I always wondered about this also.... so after the mercury is mixed and it hardens in your tooth , it's no longer toxic right??

Comment

• macona
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                            I always wondered about this also.... so after the mercury is mixed and it hardens in your tooth , it's no longer toxic right??
                            Its an amalgam and does not separate from the "alloy". And metallic mercury is not really that big of a deal, it is the compounds of mercury that are really bad. Metallic mercury has a biological half-life of about 15 days. Constant exposure like hatters and miners are exposed to is not good but occasional exposure it not likely to do anything to you.

I see if a little mercury can be flushed down a toilet and then I take the experiment a little farther and flush a toilet with 240 lbs of mercury. Test resul...

Comment

• PStechPaul
                              • Oct 2013

I got rid of a plastic jar with probably 5-10 pounds of Hg many years ago. It was in a box with some standard cells and other old calibration equipment I found in the scrap pile at a Hamfest (IIRC). I still have a few standard cells which contain some mercury as well as cadmium and acid and other nasty stuff, but probably not enough to be worthwhile.

When I took the jar to the local landfill that handles toxic materials (such as asbestos shingles), they seemed horrified and would not take it. I took it back home and they sent a hazmat truck to put it in a sealed plastic bucket and take it away. People seem to be freaked out about mercury and even metallic lead, but I was surprised by the reaction of the people at the landfill.
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X