PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for Freight Rates ??

lynnl
08-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Here's an item from the metal shaper foruum on yahoo. (Hope no one there minds my sharing it here)

Quote:
I just had a mill shipped from Las Vegas to Seattle. The intital bids I got were $600-up, then I found a place on the web. My 36" x 36" x 44" 900 lb crate was shipped Fed Ex Freight for $346, pickup at the terminal. Actually I paid a little more for delivery right in my carport.

The place I called: Universal Express International, in Gardenia, CA.
Phone: 1 800 252 5262

Their service was excellent. Don't know how they get their prices, the same shipment figured on Fed Ex's website would have been $1,200. Apparently this outfit is a broker for different shipping options and they can find very good rates. No connection except being a satisfied recent (last week) customer.
End quote

Note: I've no affiliation with that service or the original poster. Just thought the info might be of some interest here, since the subject does arise from time to time.
Lynn

firbikrhd1
08-10-2004, 09:13 PM
That sounds like a good price. I have a place to offer also. Global Trans 866-275-1407. I'm shipping a 1300 pound mill for $609 from Los Angeles, CA area to Miami, FL. They pick up in LA, I pick up here at freight terminal. I can't vouch for the quality of their service yet as the shipment hasn't taken place. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ERBenoit
08-11-2004, 11:48 AM
I am not in the freight business, however, the rates may be low because empty space on a truck costs money. Those outfits that handle or broker shipping, yet do not themselves transport the product, may be able to make deals with carriers. The carrier may not get the full rate for the space that the shipment would take up, but the are not losing all of the cost of running a truck from point A to point B with empty space either. The carriers may see it as something is better than nothing. Just my thoughts.