PDA

View Full Version : I may never be a real machinist but:

ibewgypsie
08-11-2004, 06:06 AM
I ran into a old friend, He used to be this mean old biker with a nose as crooked as mine. Now he is a preacher.

He mentioned a guy named Gary passed away, I could'nt remember Gary. He said I should since I changed his life forever. I was still drawing a blank
There was this smallish drunk who ran around North georgia, he was so thin his pants hung crooked on his frame and had wrinkles where his belt cinched them up.
Everytime I'd run into him he'd jump on me and try to whip me. Usually when I was with a young girl, this ruined the night for me. (I remember this part) This happened every month or so for about a year and half. Finally one night I had enough and instead of punching him and knocking him down I was going to just embarrass him. As he was swinging wild I'd lick the palm of my hand and wipe his face. I did this while blocking his wild haymaker swings. Finally he just sat down and cried sobbing at the table.
My thoughts was I'd have to kill him the next time cause he'd get a gun. A thought hit me. I walked over to his table, I said, "Sir, you've hurt me again. PLEASE don't hit me or hurt me anymore, if I have done something to offend you I am sorry." He looked up and said YOU GET OUTA HERE. I left and never saw him again.
Bob said he had went home, cleaned up, went to work with a new attitude and went into the office and got the foreman job he had been passed over for years, later in the week he asked the woman he had coffee with daily to marry him, quit drinking and had a couple of kids. Bob said I changed his life.

I of course don't remember most this. I do know learning and working on my hobbies machining has about kicked my butt. Teaching myself each and every little bitty thing. Success only comes to my shop about one in three projects. But like Gary I keep punching wildly. I do enjoy messing things up in my shop thou.

Getting sick recently I got to thinking, I may never accomplish the perfect machining job, only admire the work other people do. BUT, I have been a really good electrician for 30 years, I can look around at the buildings and businesses I have built and put machinery into. I guess I can hold my head up. Most all the jobs I have done have just turned on, no problems, no fires.

God Bless Gary, I hope he made it into heaven.

You guys keep on plugging along, be happy, enjoy life even if you get dealt a bad card or two. I'll keep playing with my machines looking for the perfect result.
I am going to go do some electrical work today..

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

speedy
08-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Just like that Frank Sinatra classic "I did it my way" we all make our way through this adventure the best we can; we all have an effect on who we encounter on the way but are mostly totally unaware. Good on you Dave http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif!
Over the years I`ve come to realise that every person has strengths and weaknesses. When God was handing out good looks,intelligence,personality, ability etc no one person ever managed to get to the front of the queue at every department. Diverity is a good thing and I try to see peoples` merits and not judge their failings these days. I hope this doesn`t sound like a sermon. That electrical stuff is white man`s magic to me. Good health to you Dave.

Ken NZ

Alistair Hosie
08-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Dve like me, we are too hard on ourselves sometimes.
Your not a bad man "actually" your just a big hearted teddy bear .
I saw that from day one, so start to enjoy the things in life you, DESERVE, DESERVE, DESERVE, as you did it all fair and square. Best of all enjoy the friendship companionship and love of your daughter and your lovely wife.
And hopefully there will be a little left over to enjoy your pals like old me.
Have a nice one "LIFE" I mean. Alistair

kap pullen
08-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Ibew,

Funny you tell that story.

My son was named after a fine young (30 years ago) machinist.

Mike helped make my life much easier with his knowlege and humor when I was promoted foreman at a young age.

Later I found out Tommy, also a fine machinist who worked for me, named his son Keaton after me...My given name is Keats.

We all need mentors, or can be mentors at times in our lives without anyone even knowing it.

Thank you for telling that story.

Kap

jr45acp
08-11-2004, 09:48 AM
David,

Good story! Thanks for sharing it. You remind me of a one percenter I knew in the 70's. He looked like your worst nighmare come true, but he would stop and help people broken down on the side of the road at the drop of a hat. He had business sized cards he would give them that said:

"When I do wrong, no one forgets, when I do right, no one remembers!"

He had stopped to help an elderly couple broken down on the interstate just outside of St Jo, Mo. A drunk came by, hit and killed him. I went to his funeral and there were a number of "citizens" there who had heard of his death and wanted to pay their respects. It was very moving.

You keep up the good work. You're a pearl in disguise.

John B

[This message has been edited by jr45acp (edited 08-11-2004).]

Arbo
08-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Dave,

You sound like the kind of guy that I would like to become friends with. All too often in todays society, people are judged by what is on the outside. I wish that I could become a better person. I work in a rather hostile environment (prison correctional officer) and I see the bad side of people every day. I must admit, that all too often I find myself seeing the general public in much the same way. I am not a trusting person, liking to keep my back to the wall. It drives me nuts to sit in a restaurant, with my back to the door. It isn't that I have had bad experiences on the street, it just gets in your system. My loving wife will often tell friends about the unseen side of me. There are few in the mortal world who ever get to see it. If I can bring myself out of this hole someday, I know that I could be a better man for it. Thanks for sharing the story. It brought some things to light.

Alistair Hosie
08-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Arbo
Please don't let the bad experiences you face everyday with those lowlifes get to you the world is full of good people who deserve your ear from time to time they are not all your enemy just I suppose an occupational hazard.
It would be better if you could lighten your approach to work also as life's to short to be so uptight about everyday things like that.
I hope you find peace that's no way to go you'll make yourself ill young man see things as a challenge rather than a problem.
It amazes me how many people continue for one reason or another to do things everyday which literally are killing them physically or spiritually.
I had a German friend he was a huge man with a beard as gentle as a lamb.
He told me a story one day when he went to work in a small village hospital in the alpine region where he then lived in Germany.
He was horrified to find some children left there virtually from cradle to grave in a small room with no windows and never the chance to look out never mind get out.
He was a handy guy with his hands, and made a cradle/backpack chair out of wood and one day he fitted a young girl into it he carried her on his back to the top of a small berg (hill not quite mountain).
He explained to me graphically the joy in her eyes everyday when the got to the top he would lift her out and sit her down and share a small packed lunch with her they would sit for a while she could not talk but he communicated to her with signs as best he could. and at the end of the day he would carry her back down again.
He told me of the joy in her eyes as he explained to me something we all know but refuse to think about often enough.
He said Alistair you see there are three elements to well being one is physiological the other is mental and the third but most important is spiritual without mental well being you cannot be physically well they go hand in hand but most important of all without spiritual well being you can neither be physically well or mentally well this is the most important of the three I have thought about that ever since it is so true we must look after our spiritual well being much more than we do in order to be fully well and this is as far as I can see a classical example in your case when you are so uptight all the time keep well my friend physically mentally and spiritually kindest regards Alistair

speedy
08-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Dave, you seem an alright bloke to me, straight up and plain speaking with a few scars from life. You remind me of a few good Kiwis I know down here (from the old school, no Bull Sh*t; not corrupted by the PC of these times.)
I would shake your hand any time Dave and be happy to call you friend.

RobDee
08-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Nice story David!

jr45acp
08-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Alistair

Your counsel to Arbo is noteworthy, but I spent 30 years working for the same agency as he does. It's is easy to say to look for the good in people, but when you're doing "life on the installment plan" things do tend to become a bit clouded.

Having said that, you're absolutely right though. One should look for the good in people despite the dirt bags you have to interact with.

Arbo, keep the faith. You'll make it, but I understand at times it doesn't seem that you will.

John B

wierdscience
08-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Yep,Dave is one of the good guys,there are several more like him out there,never judge a book by its cover.

I was on the side of the road one summer day,with no jack and no spare.Nearly everybody I knew including several upstanding church folk waved and passed me by,the person who stopped was a customer I had only met on two prior occasions,he was a tired from life kinda ragged looking fellow,but he was the only one who stopped to help.Since that day I have had a different outlook on life and people in general.

speedy
08-11-2004, 10:58 PM
That`s right wierdscience; we should read the book not the cover

Ken NZ

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 08-11-2004).]