PDA

View Full Version : fire clay

rockrat
08-08-2004, 02:10 PM
I have been looking for a source close to Columbus Ohio for fire clay or similar mix for a forge. I had looked for the stuff about a year ago but had no luck. The closest place was near Cleveland and I cant find that name or number. Anyone close have info? Jerry? Anyone?

Dave Opincarne
08-08-2004, 02:19 PM
I got some at a REAL hardware store. In with the fireplace and wood stove stuff. Try a wood stove supplier or check out a foundry supply

Dave

Al Messer
08-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Try a place that does boiler repairs--they buy it in big lots and perhaps they would sell you a small amount.

Boomer
08-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Try this....
http://www.alwallickco.com/

ibewgypsie
08-08-2004, 03:12 PM
http://budgetcastingsupply.com/ These people have what you want, but shipping will kill you..

CHECK, I found "castable refractory" locally from a insulation company. They do boiler repairs and have pallets of the stuff.. cast just like concrete.. MEASURE the water carefully thou or it will crack when you heat it the first time.. There are two kinds, one for high temps and one for 1400 degrees.. I think the lower temp has better R-value. (I used the high temp)

I used a hot water heater tank, then built a sheet metal inside and poured it around it. Insert your flue and a hole in top about 1" in dia.. A hair dryer type fan will be enough. I first put a whirlwind fan on there that sounded like a jet.. it blowed the heat out the top..

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

rwkerbs
08-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Check out Laguna Clay: http://www.lagunaclay.com/contact.htm

Don't know how close to Columbus is to Byesville, OH but I use them here in California - they have fireclay and a bunch of other stuff (Bentonite for instance).

Good luck, --Rob

Chester
08-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Check those local ceramic classes, they can likely put you on to a source. I found my source looking in the Yellow Pages under ceramics, I think. If no luck there, a good masonary supply yard should have it.

jfsmith
08-08-2004, 05:18 PM
You want what the forge builders use Satanite. Check with Kovals out in New Albany, may also need some Kaowool.

Or try this place I have used them for a few things.

http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/satanite_refractory_material_1516353.htm

Jerry

SJorgensen
08-08-2004, 11:50 PM
I built mine out of a Weber BBQ. It has a 4" hole in the top and bottom and a 4" refractory concreted liner. I used a "weed burner" propane torch from Harbor Freight for $19.00

I have no trouble getting to high temperatures. I adjust the gas and air until the entire interior is in flame and just a little comes through the hole. One of the changes I would make is to cast the refractory liner in layers and each layer would be also be divided into sections. This would make the liner more like bricks or at least the cracks would be where I want them to be. Also the lid is quite heavy and I had to rebuild the hinge. It once broke the hinge and the lid almost fell off. Next time I would make a secure latching lid or a swing away lid. I don't want to worry about the lid closing by itself or anything like that. It isn't my first forge and it isn't my last, but it still works so it is what I have.

Good luck,

Spence

rockrat
08-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Spence, how about a photo. Sounds like a good project for all of us. I can't tell you how many used grills I see along the road around here.

Crazy Ed
08-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Try a 'pottery supply store'. Kiln's use fire bricks and some stores/suppliers have them for sale.

Jaymo
08-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Brick suppliers sell fireclay. I bought mine for about $12.50 per 50lb bag.

Radmachine
08-11-2004, 10:20 AM
I have found Bentonite clay to be superior to fireclay. I use it in my green sand mix and used it in the mix when making my melting furnace. You can buy it in any grocery store. It is "Kitty Litter". You have to grind it up real fine to use it, though. Check out http://www.gizmology.net/mixer.htm
That website shows how to build a grinder to pulverize the kitty litter and do it cheaply.

lynnl
08-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Bentonite can be found at farm supply places or Farmers' Co-ops. It's used for lining stock ponds and also as filler or binder in some feeds. A local co-op was happy to give me several bags that had ruptured, just to clean up the area.

Dusty
08-11-2004, 08:00 PM
I've tried several materials for refactory linings. The main ones were bentonite, fire clay, lime, flint grog(ground up calcinated clay), perlite, and silica sand. I've had the best luck with fire clay, silica, perlite, and grog in various proportions. Bentonite came from a farm supply store, fire clay, and grog from a pottery supply store, lime and silica from home improvement store, and perlite from a gardening place. Grog, perlite, and silica help with shrinkage. Perlite is a volcanic glass which looks much like polystyrene foam beads. The stuff has great insulating properties, but it is pretty soft and doesn't withstand really high temperatures. All the material are very cheap. Premade castable refactory is supposed to work well, but I haven't tried any yet.

Jaymo
08-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Bentonite is a great binder for molding sand, but isn't suitable for refractory linings because it doesn't vitrify at high temps like fireclay, and will weaken through repeated usage.

lynnl
08-12-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read I had gotten the same idea as Jaymo on the bentonite useage. That's what I've used the bentonite for. For my furnace liner I used the castable refractory (non-insulating type) and it's worked great so far.