PDA

View Full Version : What uses for Bent Shank Tap

Norman Bain
06-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Saw some of these taps recently. What uses are they put to?

I can see that the bent portion could sort of be considered a handle; but it seems not a very suitable one.

http://downloads.purposebuilt.com.au/NJB/Sundry/BentShankTap.jpg

Duffy
06-03-2017, 05:32 PM
I believe they are called "nut taps." Used for production tapping oof a stack of hex, (or square,) nut blanks.

old mart
06-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Cut the shank shorter and grind a square on the end.

danlb
06-03-2017, 05:39 PM
I believe they are called "nut taps." Used for production tapping oof a stack of hex, (or square,) nut blanks.

That implies that instead of unscrewing the nuts you just run them down the handle and off, right?

Dan

Toolguy
06-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Yes, those are for production runs of nuts. You need the machine to go with them to use as intended. As I understand the process, they are tapped one at a time in rapid succession and there are grippers that hold and release the shank to let the nuts pass by. I saw a picture of it once, never seen it in action.

6PTsocket
06-03-2017, 07:32 PM
It isn't for tapping around corners? Dang. I thought I had it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Weston Bye
06-03-2017, 07:44 PM
In addition to the other suggestions, use the tap until it dulls or breaks (hopefully not in a hole in a critical workpiece), then grind the shank into a lathe boring bar? There have been a few times when I wish I had a piece of HSS that shape.
[edit to add:]
Is that shank threaded onto, or otherwise attached, to the tap? Shank may not be HSS, bummer.

Sun God
06-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Wes if you want a piece of HSS that shape, buy a piece of your favorite M42, heat it with a torch to red hot, and bend it. It'll lose little appreciable cutting performance. I've been doing this to make doglegs for boring bars for a couple of years now, I can't tell the difference.