X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seastar
    • Jan 2005

O/T Pipe bending strength

I am installing a 31 foot tall ham radio antenna by blurying a steel pipe in the ground in concrete.
    The pipe needs to stick out of the ground by 10 feet making the total height 41 feet.
    The antenna has a 4 square foot wind area.
    The maximum diameter pipe that the base of the antenna will accommodate is 2".
    That means tha I can use a max of 1 1/2" schedule 40 galvanized pipe that is just under2" OD.
    Where can I find the bend strength of that pipe so I can calculate the max wind load it will sustained?
    I can guy the antenna but would prefer not to because of aesthetics.
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!
  • MattiJ
    • Dec 2016

Without any calculations i am pretty sure you are going to need at least one set of guy wires.

Comment

• Erich
      • Apr 2017

No. You can use a much larger pipe with a reducing coupler up top with a short nipple of 1.5 inch pipe.

Look up the yield strength of iron pipe.

Applied stress in bending= Mc/I
      M= bending moment in in-lb
      c= distance from neutral axis to extreme fiber. = outside radius of pipe.
      I =moment of inertia units are in^4. You can find equations on line to calculate this for a hollow tube. I too lazy to look it up.

If all of this is gobbledygook to you, you need to hire an engineer to do the calcs for you.

Comment

• metalmagpie
        • Oct 2002

Pipe is an exceptionally poor choice of material for this application. Pipe sections are made of questionable steel and are definitely not designed for mechanical loading of this type. You would be far better off with heavy wall tube. If you do go with pipe I would suggest you go up to schedule 80.

metalmagpie

Comment

• Captain K
          • Aug 2015

Note that pipe OD is constant for nominal size. Schedule 80 pipe will be same OD as 40 but smaller ID.

Comment

• Mr Fixit
            • Nov 2010

The threaded part of the above suggestion would be the weak point in my opinion. Be careful if you go that way. What about using a sleeve and square tube that is reinforced on the sides. Take 2 "C" channel pieces and put the square tube in the middle, have the tower 2" piece slip into the square tube that is reinforced. You could also try gussets on the 4 sides of the base that would allow for the forces you are considering? What about solid steel shaft for the slip and sleeve idea, wouldn't have to be the full length, just long enough for proper support and lateral strength?

Just me thinking outside of the box on this, no expert just ideas. Good luck!

TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris

Comment

• Arcane
              • Oct 2002

Is Aeolian vibration going to be a problem?

Comment

Working...
              X