PDA

View Full Version : New project video available (hydraulic press pins/drifts)

MrPragmaticLee
06-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Hope you find this useful.
https://youtu.be/OMM56hnK7Bk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arcane
06-19-2017, 01:32 AM
Thank you for going to the effort of making the video and posting it here for us. It's a good simple modification and I'm sure it could be the inspiration for similar uses in other applications.

Forrest Addy
06-19-2017, 03:23 AM
Great idea. It makes so much sense, I had to give myself a head-slap for not thinking of it myself.

I have but one criticism. You made those press extensions of plain mid steel. Good stuff but soft. There may be a time when you'd wish for stouter stuff especially when brute forcing bends etc might max the press tonnage. The force bends the work causing edge bearing the extensions. They may deform and maybe mushroom in time.

If this comes to pass, I suggest you make the replacements of 4140 and heat treat the ends to RC 40 to 45.

Same goes for the little stub on the press. If it mushrooms your new tooling won't fit.

I don't have a press any more but if I did I'd whip up a set of those Pragmatic Pushers and be rid of the box of odds and ends I used for 30 years to fill between the press shoe and the work.

MattiJ
06-19-2017, 05:29 AM
I feel sorry for the lathe even if its a chinese one. Grinding on a lathe and then running the carriage right over the grit. :eek:

mattthemuppet
06-19-2017, 03:31 PM
neat! That and TundraTwinTrack's 1/2 drive adapter/bored out socket set are worthwhile additions to a press. Mine doesn't have a moveable head (bench model) so I'm always stacking up bits of plate under the work to get it high enough. I'll add these to my list of things to make :) Neat idea with the magnet too, although my ram end has an ID thread, so I'd probably just use that and a shoulder on the extension to make it more rigid, less chance of it cocking sideways and spitting the piece out.

Quick tip - given that you're using carbide, you shouldn't need to grind the rust off, just cut right through it with your cutting tool. then you won't have to worry about breathing in that rust or getting it into your lathe's precision surfaces (not sure which is worse!). Also, if you want near ground/ sanded finishes, try using ground inserts (TCGT for your holders I think) - they are great for finishing and will give you a lovely finish in pretty much any material. They also reduce cutting forces so they're great for boring bars - you won't get as much of that squeal that you can hear in your boring op.