X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loose nut
    • Sep 2006

Terror in the workshop

Well, not really terror but it was a good way to suck you guys in.

I have a Fagor DRO on the lathe, worked fine until....DUH DAA DOH (for dramatic effect), two days ago when all of a sudden to wasn't. The displays alternately turned on and off, none of the controls worked and there was a small R flashing in the lower left corner. None of this was in the trouble shooting section of the manual. What to do. Well I'm ashamed to admit it but I reread the manual. Yes I know real men don't use instructions. In the beginning of the manual there actually was a reference to the little R in the corner which said that it didn't have a "Home". OK I have no idea how it couldn't find it's way home but there was a way to set it which low and behold worked and my DRO works again. Best bet I hit the wrong combo of buttons and upset something but ...................

Any way I was mortified that I could be DRO'less on the lathe (hence the terror), being retired and on a fixed income replacement would have been hard to justify.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada
  • A.K. Boomer
    • May 2006

Dammit Loose Nut,

expected to see images of Freddy Kruegar in a full tilt massacre mode but was hoping you somehow got a handle on it and turned it into a benign situation... damn

Comment

• alanganes
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      Dammit Loose Nut,

expected to see images of Freddy Kruegar in a full tilt massacre mode but was hoping you somehow got a handle on it and turned it into a benign situation... damn
      To be fair, a dead DRO is a pretty close second to Freddie K.

Comment

• Toolguy
        • Jan 2010

Scared the heck out of me! I could go back to the old way if I had to, but really, really don't want to.
        Kansas City area

Comment

• loose nut
          • Sep 2006

I don't know if I could go back, that's the real scary thing.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

• reggie_obe
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
            Any way I was mortified that I could be DRO'less on the lathe (hence the terror), being retired and on a fixed income replacement would have been hard to justify.
            Would having to get a part-time job to support your hobby be all that awful?

Comment

• CCWKen
              • Jan 2003

What's a DRO?

I took my $50 digital slide scale off because it kept getting in the way and the battery would go dead. I mark pieces with an ultra-fine tip Sharpie when I need real precision.

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
                • May 2002

It's like riding a bicycle, you never really forget.

I don't know if I could go back, that's the real scary thing.
                Paul A.​
                s​
                Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• Noitoen
                  • Oct 2013

Stop riding a bike for a long time and you end up with a sore ass when you have to ride again
                  Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

Comment

• loose nut
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                    Would having to get a part-time job to support your hobby be all that awful?

I have thought about it because some months money is tight but.....

When I retired from work I had Arthritics in both feet, both hands, my right shoulder and neck, Carpel tunnel in both wrists, both knees where jello, sciatica on my left side and some lung problems. Most are work related and fortunately don't bother me as much since I quite working, early retirement. I tried working out at a gym after retirement just to stay active but had to give it up because of my shoulders, movement out of the normal causes severe pain.

So no.

Comment

• garyhlucas
                      • Mar 2013

I have thought about it because some months money is tight but.....

When I retired from work I had Arthritics in both feet, both hands, my right shoulder and neck, Carpel tunnel in both wrists, both knees where jello, sciatica on my left side and some lung problems. Most are work related and fortunately don't bother me as much since I quite working, early retirement. I tried working out at a gym after retirement just to stay active but had to give it up because of my shoulders, movement out of the normal causes severe pain.

So no.
                      At your age if you can't feel any of those things it ussually means you are dead.

Comment

• loose nut
                        • Sep 2006

I'm getting there but don't rush me.

Comment

• dave_r
                          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                          At your age if you can't feel any of those things it ussually means you are dead.
                          or you haven't lived...

Comment

• rdfeil
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            It's like riding a bicycle, you never really forget.
                            Yea, but it still hurts when you fall off!!!!!!
                            Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Working...
                            X