PDA

View Full Version : Moving

Michael Az
08-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Looks like I have a move in my future from Az to Ohio. Just thought I would post my plans and get some suggestions. I have welding equipmant, a 3 ton milling machine, another at 3,000 lb. Surface grinder 1 ton and lathe 1 ton, fork lift 3 ton and a shopful of the normal tools and workbenches. Also the household stuff. I can't afford to have riggers come in and make the 1800 mile move so the best thing I can come up with is to buy a couple of those 20' shipping containers that are used on ships. They sell around here for a couple thousand. I can take my time getting them properly loaded and then set them on a flatbed trailer when done. Guess I will have to come up with a crane to do the loading and unloading. I know some trucks are capable of loading containers, but they have to tilt the container quite a bit to do it. I am pretty sure when I get to Ohio I will be buying a couple acres and putting up a new shop and the conainers will be good storage while this is being built. I am even considering now to have living quarters in my shop. I guess being a bachelor causes this problem of not even caring so much about a house. I'm thinking about 1300 sq ft or so for the living area, so the new building may be around 4000 sq foot. If anybody has any suggestions, I would sure like to hear them. Thanks
Michael

John Stevenson
08-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Micheal,
Do you have side loading containers in the US?

http://www.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/43084.jpg

These make moving machinery very easy and they can take up to 40 foot containers.

------------------
John S.
Nottingham, England

Forrest Addy
08-14-2004, 11:33 AM
You don't really need a crane to handle machinery that small. Your 3ton forklift will take it from the shop and load it into a container very nicely. Container haulers usually endload but that side loader John shows looks like the real deal.

Pack wisely. The machinery and the shop equipment on your list will take up about half that 20 ft container if everything tucks in together. Plan the packing carefully; think two levels putting the light stuff on top on a carpentered platform).

Bolt your machinery down to prevent shifting and block other heavy items. The hauler is sure to have to make at least one hard stop on the trip.

The rest of the space you can use for household goods.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 08-14-2004).]

Michael Az
08-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Wow John, that is a slick set up and as I don't live close to any coast, I'm not sure if we have them here or not. That is what I need for sure but where I live {in the middle of nowhere} I will probably have to figure a way to get it on a standard flatbed. Thanks for the reply.
Forrest, When I mentioned the crane I was refering to lifting the loaded container from the ground to the truckbed. It may weigh around 25,000 when loaded. A friend has a large forklift and I am thinking if we could find another we could load with two forklifts. I understand what you mean about packing wisely and tying down. I never did run a flatbed but just retired as a truckdriver. Sold my Freightliner a couple months ago! Thanks for the reply.
Michael

sandman2234
08-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I was in that same position, execpt to move around in the immediate area. I used one of those containers (aluminum 40') as a workshop when I didn't have a garage. When I moved the first time, I used a "railroad" or house type jack to jack up one end, blocked it, then the other end. Backed a trailer under it, and jacked it back down. Called a wrecker company to come move it. The tongue gave out before it reached the street (severely overloaded mobile home frame) Wrecker driver just hooked the winch to the frame and off he went.
If you own the container, you can bolt stuff to the floor, but use a steel plate to reinforce it under the crossbeams, because a lot of the containers floors can be weak and not appear to be.
It would be nice if you had some way of getting a chasis and a dock so that you could load it after it already up. However that makes finding a chasis, a dock, and moving the stuff to another location to where the dock is. Might not be worth the trouble. In my case, now, I know someone with an overhead crane, dock, forklift that I could use so it wouldn't be too bad.
A drop deck trailer might be easier to load it on, if you can find one with a close enough lenght. Look around for a mobile home frame. 3 or 4 axles with brakes and you can pull it yourself(not!) However it might get the load to somewhere you can move it to a flatbed, or chasis. My mistake was to put all the weight on the tongue, so the tires wouldn't pop. Never thought about the tongue weight, since the truck would handle that.

Ask around, you will probably find that the 40 footers are cheaper than the 20 footers. They are harder to sell, since a lot of people don't have room for the bigger ones. They sell for just under a grand here. 20' go for a couple hundred more. I paid $275 for my aluminum 40. Came out of Savannah years ago when they were selling for $500 each. No delivery charge to jax, company bought 10 of them delivered.
David from jax

Mike W
08-14-2004, 02:39 PM
To me the small stuff is the hardest. You have to find boxes and pack them. If it is heavy small stuff, it makes it even harder. The last time I moved it took 5 days with 5 guys helping me. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Evan
08-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Side loading transports are rare in North America. Very common in Europe as they must deal with streets that don't have room for a "back up to it" loading dock.

Michael, you may be a bachelor but unless you fancy the life of a monk I suggest you arrange a living space that is not part of the shop.