PDA

View Full Version : Or 12 volt bat hookup for wench

steve herman
07-23-2017, 10:01 PM
I have a wench Iwant to set up on my truck in a stand alone set up i.e. No taping into the truck wiring. The wench has a remote and two red wires that are to be taped into a hot wire on the ign. Switch. The question. is could I hook these to the stand alone battery ? The wires have a 17 amp fuse an the battery is some 60 amps.

Steve

winchman
07-23-2017, 10:20 PM
I got slapped the only time I tried to connect a battery to a wench, but my winches didn't mind at all.

Erich
07-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Sure you can. Red wires to positive, black wire from frame of winch to negative.

Recharging battery is left as an exercise by the user.

steve herman
07-23-2017, 10:58 PM
Got rid of the wench, she didn't have much pull and got awlnch

dave_r
07-24-2017, 01:08 AM
One or both of you is doing it wrong if you prefer a winch over a wench.

RichR
07-24-2017, 02:02 AM
One or both of you is doing it wrong if you prefer a winch over a wench.

Or maybe they're just into the rough stuff.:rolleyes:

Abner
07-24-2017, 07:58 AM
Winch's go on bumpers, wench's ride in the front seat. You need 1 of each for a pick-up.

Had a buddy with a new winch motor that did not work, after several electricians looked at it, he asked me to come look. Paint on the new motor housing was preventing proper grounding. Put a ground wire directly to the motor and the problem was solved.

Black Forest
07-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Winch's go on bumpers, wench's ride in the front seat. You need 1 of each for a pick-up.

Had a buddy with a new winch motor that did not work, after several electricians looked at it, he asked me to come look. Paint on the new motor housing was preventing proper grounding. Put a ground wire directly to the motor and the problem was solved.

Abner that is true for Wench's also. If you give them a good ground they can wench better also.

Willy
07-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Further to what BF just said, it's always good practice to take all the paint off of the wench in order to know if you've got a good one or not.:)

Abner
07-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Would it be too late to mention I like mine slightly dirty.

flylo
07-24-2017, 10:38 PM
If you're stuck in the mud chances are your wench/winch will get dirty & you too most likely.

kendall
07-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Battery operated wenches don't sound like they'd be much fun.

As to independent battery, it will work, but few winches will operate for longer than a minute off battery alone.

Need specs on the winch, power/speed/weight rating etc before anyone can give serious advice.

becksmachine
07-24-2017, 11:23 PM
Battery operated wenches don't sound like they'd be much fun.

Neil Diamond wrote a song about his.

:)

Dave

BCRider
07-25-2017, 01:41 AM
I got slapped the only time I tried to connect a battery to a wench, but my winches didn't mind at all.

The wench I tried it on wouldn't let me get close enough to be at any risk of a hickie from the battery connector. Well, at least not until I showed her I had a large bottle of chilled white wine......

dave_r
07-25-2017, 04:34 AM
The wench I tried it on wouldn't let me get close enough to be at any risk of a hickie from the battery connector. Well, at least not until I showed her I had a large bottle of chilled white wine......

I believe that's what they use as a power source.

flylo
07-25-2017, 07:06 AM
I have a wench Iwant to set up on my truck in a stand alone set up i.e. No taping into the truck wiring. The wench has a remote and two red wires that are to be taped into a hot wire on the ign. Switch. The question. is could I hook these to the stand alone battery ? The wires have a 17 amp fuse an the battery is some 60 amps.

Steve

Seriously you can have a seperate battery that is charged buy your truck but the winch won't run your starter battery down, kind of like how a diode works. I was lucky to find a front hitch for my Dodge 1 ton so the winch is on a mount with a trailer hitch fitting & can go in the front hitch, rear hitch or on the 12' flatbed to load things, it's a 12,000# Harbor freight with a wired & wireless control. I keep it in a box & use 2/0 cable with Andersen connectors. Keep in mind winches have much more power when the drum is almost empty of cable & always hang some coats, jackets from the cable in case it breaks it doesn't cut you in two as the wooden 170'+ glider pilots were when the tow planes cut loose the tow cable & cut many complete glider crews in half as the glider pilot was suppose cut the connection. With the wireless control you & your wench san stay safely 250' away while operating your winch. I have a 9,000 Ramsey I use on a trailer. Good luck winching you wench