PDA

View Full Version : ot automatic shutoff gasoline nozzle for farm gravity fuel tank

Edwin Dirnbeck
07-24-2017, 12:03 AM
All auto shut off gasoline nozzle vendors, say they cant be used with gravity systems. I presume ,the pressure is not high enough for the mechanism to work..In a 1978 farm magazine such a nozzle was listed. The company is out of business.Does anyone know if one is available, or is it a liability issue . Thank you Edwin Dirnbeck

Willy
07-24-2017, 03:38 AM
I've delivered a lot of bulk fuel and have never encountered a gravity fed automatic shut off fuel nozzle. Been out of the game for a few years so perhaps things have changed. Lots of demand for this type of nozzle as most farm storage tanks are gravity fed and this would eliminate baby sitting and the inevitable spillage that is bound to happen.

The mention of the 1978 farm magazine ad/article and the fact that it is no longer in business suggests that maybe the the product was not reliable enough and caused more problems than it hoped to eliminate. It takes a prerequisite amount of fluid flow and pressure in order to create enough vacuum for the auto shut off mechanism to function reliably. Thinking like you, that especially in today's environmentally conscious climate it may be more of a liability than an asset to market a product that may not be 100% reliable without some sort of failsafe redundancy built into it.

Have a look though, maybe technology has changed, I know there's a market for just such a product.

dave_r
07-24-2017, 04:23 AM
Maybe you could rig up a setup like smaller gas cans, where the tank's air inlet is in the nozzle itself. It self-stops when the gas level reaches the nozzle, as air can no longer get into the tank to permit more gas to come out.

Probably wouldn't work well for filling up vehicles with a separate fill tube (such as cars/pickups) but for when you can put the nozzle into the actual tank, it should work fine.

Black Forest
07-24-2017, 04:47 AM
Maybe you could rig up a setup like smaller gas cans, where the tank's air inlet is in the nozzle itself. It self-stops when the gas level reaches the nozzle, as air can no longer get into the tank to permit more gas to come out.

Probably wouldn't work well for filling up vehicles with a separate fill tube (such as cars/pickups) but for when you can put the nozzle into the actual tank, it should work fine.

My last gravity fed tank was removed when the person filling the machine was on his phone and wasn't paying attention and flooded the area with diesel. Since then it has only been hand pumped tanks.

Edwin Dirnbeck
07-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Who Ray I found it. The text says CAN BE USED WITH GRAVITY SYSTEMS. this is the only nozzle that I have seen that is UL approved. I will be ordering one tomorrow and will report back when I receive it . Edwin Dirnbeckhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170725/a31a582f312dc336ebe9af119788ffd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danlb
07-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Congratulations Edwin.

When you said they were not available, I wondered what the differences were between gravity and pump fed. The most obvious is that a pump fed systems usually shuts off after a reasonable amount of fluid had been dispensed. A gravity fed system may happily empty a 6000 gallon tank if the nozzle calls for it.

If it were me, I'd look into some sort of volume based limiter. Sure, a 40 gallon spill is bad, but it's manageable.

Dan

Seastar
07-26-2017, 09:02 AM
I sure hope that nozzle works as I could use two of them at my cabin in Minnesota.
I spill some fuel almost every time I fill something.
Bill

chipmaker4130
07-26-2017, 06:28 PM
. . .pump fed systems usually shuts off after a reasonable amount of fluid had been dispensed. . .

This I have never seen other than clerk-set max for pre-paid fuel. Where have you encountered that?

danlb
07-26-2017, 08:48 PM
This I have never seen other than clerk-set max for pre-paid fuel. Where have you encountered that?

Please forgive me for speaking from ignorance. I have an 11 gallon tank, so I have not run into limits this century. I have recollection of seeing signs at the local Shell station a couple years back that limited each purchase to 50 gallons. That may have been to reduce losses from driving off without paying since gas was over $5 at the time. I added that to my experience with a commercial self serve pump (unattended) in the 1970s where I was required to set the number of gallons before filling the tanks on the intercity mail truck I was driving at the time.

Based on those experiences I assumed that it was normal.

Dan