PDA

View Full Version : Mill Power Feed Problem

hitnmiss49
08-02-2017, 03:19 PM
The X axis power feed on my Bridgeport mill runs on fast speed irregardless of the position of the dial. If I put it 0 zero it stops but just slightly passed 0 it runs at full speed. It is a 150 ft lbs power feed made in China. These are quite expensive so I'm hoping someone on here has a solution to this problem. This happened for the first time today.
Thanks, Lonnie

pinstripe
08-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Welcome. Does it have a rapid button/switch? Try fiddling with that in case it's stuck. If not, you are probably going to have to pull it apart. Post some photos of the circuit board, and someone might be able to suggest something.

hitnmiss49
08-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Yes it does have a rapid button. Thanks for the suggestion I will try that.
Lonnie

CCWKen
08-02-2017, 08:16 PM
What brand is it? Does it have a direction lever or just a dial for direction? I almost bought one off Ebay last night. I decided to wait and see if the HUMUNGUS 3-phase Bridgeport X-feed works. I'm waiting on a VFD that may be here tomorrow or Friday.

J Tiers
08-02-2017, 09:45 PM
The speed control potentiometer may be open.

If it is open near minimum setting it would do just about what you say.

If you have a multimeter you can disconnect the power feed from power input, and check the "pot". New potentiometers can be obtained from Digikey, and Mouser, as well as other distributors and maybe from the folks who sell the power feed..

rdfeil
08-03-2017, 12:37 AM
+1 on Jerrys sugestion above. A bad speed pot was my first thought also. I do not think the rapid switch would cause this. All the power feeds I have seen completely bypass the speed pot when rapid is activated. In that case turning the speed pot to 0 would not stop the rapid feed.

pinstripe
08-03-2017, 01:34 AM
I do not think the rapid switch would cause this...

I agree. The pot is the most likely culprit, but always try the simplest stuff first.

hitnmiss49
08-03-2017, 06:23 AM
It has both a direction lever and a speed dial. Not sure of the brand I purchased it from CDCO several years ago and it has seen a lot of use.
Lonnie

Dave C
08-03-2017, 12:47 PM
+1 on the pot.

hitnmiss49
08-13-2017, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure what the problem was as I accidentally dropped in on the concrete floor when I removed it. It broke both the bottom and the circuit board so I put it out in the trash and purchased a new Align brand. To install it I had broach the keyway in the brass gear piece to 1/8". It must have been metric from the factory. It's all installed and working great. Thanks to everyone for you suggestions and help.
Lonnie

boslab
08-13-2017, 09:17 PM
I've never seen one of these power feed units with a foot pedal speed control ( well it's a pot!), wonder if it would work, ok I'll go take my pills
Mark