X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulG
    • Aug 2004

Rotary Table

Just a dumb beginner question, but I just bought a small rotary table and I am sure there must be something wrong with it.

I just assumed that being a worm gear that there were no stops and that as long as you cranked the handle the table would turn. This one stops just short of one turn and then you have to crank it the other way. It will go 355 degrees and then stop.???

This can't be right can it? I also can't get it to disengage with the drive and spin freely like it is supposed to do. Should I send this thing back or is there a "trick" that I just don't know about.

Thanks for any help

• spkrman15
    • Sep 2001

Hey Paul,

In my opinion if the tool is not doing what it is supposed to do then send it back or call the manufacturer. People doing the assemblies do make mistakes.

It might however help to tell us what type of rotary table, where you bought and the model.

Good luck
    Rob

Comment

• SGW
      • Apr 2001

Sure sounds wrong to me.....
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• ibewgypsie
        • Dec 2002

I have two, one very large American made job and a small HF model..

both rotate as long as you turn the handle.

The large one does have a turn-lock knob thou. The small one does not.

I use my large one indexing tubing, I have a 3 jaw chuck mounted to it and the through hole is 1 1/4".. I have drawings of the tubing I bend between the marks and index angles.. It reproduces the complex bends within a degree or so.. It is mounted on a table on rollers at the same height as the bender. I am bad about using things differently then as designed.

The small one I bought to go under a compund and toolpost on my lathe, it is a ball turner. Another unfinished project.

Neat stuff..

------------------
        David Cofer, Of:
        Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

• PaulG
          • Aug 2004

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spkrman15:
          Hey Paul,

In my opinion if the tool is not doing what it is supposed to do then send it back or call the manufacturer. People doing the assemblies do make mistakes.

It might however help to tell us what type of rotary table, where you bought and the model.

Good luck
          Rob
          </font>
          Thanks Rob,

I got it from LMS. http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1810

Comment

• lunkenheimer
            • Apr 2002

There's definitely something wrong. Maybe a screw got caught inside in one of the worm wheel teeth or something.

LMS is pretty good. Call them and they should make it right for you.

Comment

• Al Flipo
              • Sep 2003

Sometimes these clamps have habit of binding up, take them off and try again. Did you get the dividing set with the unit?

Comment

• PaulG
                • Aug 2004

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Flipo:
                Sometimes these clamps have habit of binding up, take them off and try again. Did you get the dividing set with the unit? </font>
                Got it fixed and thanks for everyone's help.

Al you were right. The groove that the table lock's clamp to had a high spot. For some reason it would pass one clamp but jam when it got to the other clamp. Makes sense now. I should have looked closer when I realized it would stop just short of 360.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                X