PDA

View Full Version : Incredible air hacksaw

Edwin Dirnbeck
08-14-2017, 08:53 PM
After struggling for years with the cheap harbor freight airsaws, I finally took a chance and bought a good used snap on saw on eBay. what a difference, this was very expensive, about $175 used. I didn't know if they would work very well.Now that I have been using this, I would not hesitate to buy a brand new one even at $350.They are worth their weight in gold to me, one hand reaching up in the air and cutting off something very easily.Edwin Dirnbeck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwin Dirnbeck
08-14-2017, 08:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170815/ef5b814925dcf31c9947823eaea7bfd2.jpg Here is a picture of the tool, if you can afford it you should certainly buy one of these.Edwin Dirnbeck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boslab
08-15-2017, 03:59 AM
Expensive but still a nice score, the older snap on kit was good, I went all in and got just about everything snap on from the mobile van, it was expensive but didn't feel to bad as you paid on the "drip"
Aka instalment (I do miss them as the lot got robbed), I replaced the 3/8 socket set with a brand new one, it is to be honest a disappointment, I don't buy new snap on any more, only used old stuff off eBay, you can tell there's a demand as the price reflects its quality.
Most air saws are horrible, the snap on ones are much more pleasant to use, half an hour with a cheap one is enough to numb your hands for the day, can't be good!, I still have the air drill, remarkable torque for a small tool.
I'm guessing your saw has the same rotor vanes and air valves.
I discovered a nice flex hose is helpful, stiff PVC is horrible.
Mark

Glug
08-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Interesting. I wonder what makes it so much better than the cheapo?

I have a lithium powered milwuakee mini-sawzall, they call it a hackzall. It's a one-handed tool and I like it a lot. It takes regular size sawzall blades. I have full size sawzalls, but they're heavy and just too much for so many things.

platypus2020
08-15-2017, 09:37 AM
I have 5-6 of them, from cheap ($50) to the ungodly expensive ($600), to me the real important factor is the quality of the blade. I've used store bought blades, pieces of hack saw blades, to modified jig and saber saw blades, it depends on what the material you're cutting and the the thickness. It's real easy to strip the teeth off a cheap blade, blade moves incredibly fast.

Edwin Dirnbeck
08-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Interesting. I wonder what makes it so much better than the cheapo?

I have a lithium powered milwuakee mini-sawzall, they call it a hackzall. It's a one-handed tool and I like it a lot. It takes regular size sawzall blades. I have full size sawzalls, but they're heavy and just too much for so many things.

The cheap ones stall and stop and stall land stop.The snap on seems to have a spring cushion drive. If the blade gets stuck, it keeps on reciprocating until it unsticks itself, or so it seems.I mostly use bimetal hacksaw blades 14 or 18 teeth per inch, cut about 4 inches long.Edwin Dirnbeck

Axkiker
08-17-2017, 10:49 AM
so does it use an entire hacksaw blade ?? This is one air tool I dont have that I might need... or want its a grey area.

Mike Nash
08-17-2017, 12:35 PM
so does it use an entire hacksaw blade ?? This is one air tool I dont have that I might need... or want its a grey area.

I have the cheapy Harbor Freight one and it is a wimp. But I have now used it for some less conventional needs where it was frustrating due to lack of power but got the job done with a full hacksaw blade. I needed to relocate some 4x4 deck roof supports slightly so needed to keep the full post length undamaged. I used the full length metal cutting hacksaw blade and held the end not in the saw in a gloved hand to cut the nails at the top. I had to hold the end or it would kink the blade. If it had more stroke I could not have safely done this.

Magicniner
08-17-2017, 07:09 PM
The Snap-On is good but Cengar make one that's far better, contra-acting pistons balance the saw so you don't need the anvil pushed hard against the work for smooth, kick-free operation making it brilliant for vehicle bodywork.

mickeyf
08-17-2017, 10:10 PM
One of those days. I saw the subject line and thought "OK, I've heard air guitar, but..."

How does one of these compare to a Sawzall?

Edwin Dirnbeck
08-17-2017, 10:25 PM
I use regular 12 inch hand hacksaw blades cut in 3 pcs.. I cut them about 4 inches long.If you make them to long,they start dancing, even when not in the work ,Just today,I had a piece if 1/2 metal conduit in my hand, It was 12 inches lonl and I needed it to be 11 inches.I didn't even use a vise or steady it on the bench. I cut it off in the air in about 5 seconds. Try one you wont be sorry. Edwin Dirnbeck

tlfamm
08-19-2017, 10:04 AM
The Snap-On is good but Cengar make one that's far better, contra-acting pistons balance the saw so you don't need the anvil pushed hard against the work for smooth, kick-free operation making it brilliant for vehicle bodywork.

Link to product page:

http://cengar.co.uk/pages/e-rangeofsaws.html